Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Setting Ideas

Here I am once again, posting my ideas in hopes of someone humoring me in the least. In short, I'm working on a fantasy setting for RPs and whatnot with the forces of Order and Entropy being god-like in nature and having direct influence in creating some races. Each force has three aspects, and for each aspect, a race is tied to it in some way. I'll list them as follows.

Order:

Unity: Matolbost, psychically linked machine race. They are one, they are all. And they work in awe inspiring unison with one another at their most powerful.

Structure: Unknown. Thinking about some kind of grand architects race, maybe filled with cultured Arthropoids and whatnot.

Stasis: Unknown, thinking about maybe some ice beings, or "dust slimes" as possible candidates. Might be known as the world's best diplomats, or maybe even their best fighters, sporting codes of honor and whatnot, bent on keeping the peace against the forces of Entropy.

Entropy:
Destruction: Netrabast, the mutating, morphic fists of the natural world. They can shapeshift or alter their bodies into near anything organic, from wings to tree bark. They are the dusky winds of change to their enemies.

Depletion: Manyborne, a nation of swarms of innately magical rats, which are psychically connected to hives of about 100 or so. They will consume near anything, especially knowledge.

Individuality: Unknown, thinking about a nation of undead kleptocrats or some form of greedy vampires. They favor being left alone to their own devices, and each ones appearance may be as unique as snowflakes.

I'ed love to hear some ideas or suggestions for the races if you so please.
Hello, Draken. I don't mind humoring you!

As for your Matolbost: I like the idea that they all think and all are as one. Could make them very formidable! Do the machine parts they are composed of have an origin or they made of materials readily available?

Ice Beings: That idea almost makes me want to draw! I'd imagine that perhaps they are very ancient as ice in far regions hardly are touched by time. Could be so much potential there!
Extremely thought provoking this scheme you got here. Some thoughts:

Unity;Metolbost is your strongest. Fits, makes sense.

I can't even imagine what a "Dust Slime" is? Like when some jello falls on the ground and gets dirt stuck on it? If anything makes me think of dust, it's Entropy. They should be the eroding dust slimes, if they can be personified into an aspect at all.

Structure being Ants or Arachnid-esque anthropods seem pretty standard. I imagine sleek, alien structures of white silk-like steel threads coiled into unbelievable shapes and physics defying architecture. Built to last eons if not for the aspects of chaos.

"Depletion" and "Entropy" (the words) are conceptually the same thing, are they not? If you're going for Entropy being material, and Depletion being the forgetting/erasure of ideas, maybe Fugue or Apathy or something else could be the name of your swarm of hungry rats.

With Individuality, I'd say give them the morphing concept currently tied to Entropy. The narcissistic kleptocrats sound like the wierd ones of the lot as they aren't a hive mind, and have the most potential to look and behave like anything. If anything, this makes me think these would be the "humans" or protagonists race in the creation myth as they're the most relatable. I think you have other races not tied to this Aspects stuff though? Not even sure which genre all this is going towards, but Metalbosts makes me think weird sci-fi fantasy mix with gods and all.
Draken901 Topic Starter

Yeah, it's a fantasy setting with sci-fi elements. Plane of existence, Order promotes advanced technology, where as Entropy promotes magic.

The Matolbost were original a natural silicoid race turned fully synthetic after a few generations.

The "Dust Slime" idea mainly came from the phrase "the dusts of the earth", and the idea that if everything stays the same, dusts will remain as dusts for all eternity. A dust like diet only turns into mud when exposed to water. Aka, change.

Yeah, definetly want to make some sort of arachnoid race for structure which utilizes a lot of silks.

Hit the nail on the head with the thing about the Manyborne, Apathy sounds way better for them, and fits too.

Yeah, that could be better, what would the Netrabast be though if I done that? Any ideas about what they would look like?
H'oooOoh. That's pretty cool. It's like, adhering to the laws of phsyics or breaking them. Maybe.

Googles Silicoid. So rock people? Cut themselves of more and more refined metal before linking up. I see I see. I'd have guessed being entirely synthetic even in their upbringing as the typical wizard's created self-improving golem race would fit the Order side. No need to go that route of course.

Can't say I've ever heard that phrase. A dust like diet only turns into mud when exposed to water. Strangely... simple? Despite how it sounds. Nothing really to add to that besides my first reaction. No preference for them or the ice-forms either really.

Oh, glad I could help.

Personifying Entropy (Netrablasts) in another way could be of a single invisible, omnipresent force just like the concept itself, constantly wearing down the world, inciting change so that in the end everything will be stable. (Side tangent: I can imagine a "We're much alike, you and I" from Entropy to Unity, if you take it that way). But I can see how boring that route is given it's barely a personification, besides maybe being able to talk with the formless thing and it might have a drive of its own. It's just a typical god character.
I don't really have a satisfying answer for what for the aspect of destruction should be. Jet black, Void-like beings that expedite the rate at which energy decays where they are? Man-shaped like Dark Souls (video game) "Humanity sprites", or they run in amorpheous clouds, the individuals peeling off in all sorts of shapes or tendrils to suit the need. Grass dies, replants, and dies again where they hover. Whatever they touch rots to dust depending how dense/durable the material is? Eh. It's 3am, I should probably stop rambling.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Setting Ideas

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus