Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » A proposal

I'm still new here but I'm seeking help for a friend. I'm helping edit a book but she's stuck on one spot with her characters. She wants them to be/ get engaged but isn't sure how to do that without it sounding to romanticized. I thought maybe some real life situations would offer a unique experience.
So my questions are:

1. Could you provide just a little bit of information about your relationship before you were engaged? there are more online, long distance, and other types of relationships now a days.

2. How did it, the engagement, happen?

3. Would you feel comfortable letting us use your unique story if it fits the characters personalities?

You could PM me if you wouldn't want your story here.. Or I could also jot down the ideas we've had so far. But I believe real life experiences are best. If this is in the wrong place, I do apologize. Thank you for the help. :)
The characters could either gradually spend so much time together that it becomes practical to marry, but most of the proposals I hear of that are unique or most memorable come from an appreciation of romanticism. Such as picking the Fourth of July to propose beneath fireworks, or proposing with a Pokeball because both of them are nuts for Pokemon. Most people I know were presented with their favorite things or activities. If there are any inside jokes, it could present itself there. Maybe she sings his favorite song to him and he's just so giddy about it he decides to marry her, right then and there. Or, maybe she just totally kills in a match of Halo and she's such a BAMF that he wants to fight noobs with her for all of their days. If it's kind of an anti-romance (or they're hipsters)...maybe they marry for irony.

I know that's not really a personal story or a whole lot of insight, but I do find that the most sincere proposals have been those based on what they appreciate in one another and making the night unforgettable. Maybe they go out for the usual date night and he proposes at Taco Bell or something. A night like any other, because that's how he wants to spend his life with her.

What I've noticed in this age: people are much more willing to live together before getting hitched. Maybe they go through a phase where they silently put up with what annoys them about each other - a reality most newly-weds used to face only after their marriage. If they hook up online, I've noticed there are some jokes about it or some tech-related romance. (A Facebook/IM/Text/email proposal.)

Hope any of that helped. Good luck!
Asterisk Topic Starter

"I know that's not really a personal story or a whole lot of insight, but I do find that the most sincere proposals have been those based on what they appreciate in one another and making the night unforgettable. Maybe they go out for the usual date night and he proposes at Taco Bell or something. A night like any other, because that's how he wants to spend his life with her."

I really enjoyed what you said here. Everything in your response was helpful, personal story or not. Thank you for the help - I shall pass it along.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » A proposal

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus