Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » I found my muse! I think...

Lumaslily

I wrote a backstory for a character of mine and thought I would post here for those who like to read backstories. It must be a good day because I wrote this without scrapping the whole thing and starting over!

WARNING: Story contains heavy themes!

Charlotte was born on the bottom of society, her mother was a local prostitute while her father was more than likely a patron of her mother. Her mother raised her for a short time until she was old enough to be sold to the pleasure house where she would join her mother’s profession. During her time at the pleasure house, Charlotte would be abused by her pimp and even her fellow coworkers. Refusing to endure anymore mistreatment, Charlotte would escape the pleasure house to live on the streets where she would beg and steal in order to survive. Until one terrible winter night would change her life for the better.

It was another night of begging on the streets as per usual, she reached out her hand to every passerby in hopes they would spare her one coin. She had survived cold nights before, but the weather was so bad not even a child like herself could endure. She would have died that night if it weren’t for a man named Mr. Evergrande who had noticed her unconscious body lying in the snow. Realizing that the girl was hanging onto life on a thin string, Mr. Evergrande carried her home to his small manor and cared for her until she had awakened.

When Charlotte finally awoke, Mr. Evergrande would explain how she came to his home and offer her a place to stay until she fully recovered. With nowhere else to go, Charlotte took Mr. Evergrande up on his offer and stayed in his manner. Even though they hardly knew one another they steadily started developing a father-daughter relationship with each other. She would tell him of her past and the abuse she endured while living in the pleasure districts of their city. Mr. Evergrande would even reveal to Charlotte that seeing her on the streets reminded him of his own past as a beggar and orphaned child. They may have not been related by blood, but they were more alike than either of them cared to admit. After living together and getting to know each other, Mr. Evergrande would propose the idea of adopting Charlotte as his daughter and raising her into adulthood. Of course, Charlotte agreed to Mr. Evergrande’s offer and became his daughter.

Finally, Charlotte had finally had a place to call her own and a true friend, one that loved and cared for her, unlike the other adults she grew up within the slums. As she lived with Mr. Evergrande, she would be educated like a lady of high society. Charlotte would learn how to read, write and speak different languages instead of picking up whatever she learned on the streets. Her teachers would say Charlotte was an observant and hard-working child for someone of her age, whatever Charlotte did, she always put her first foot forward. Although she was proficient in literature, math, and poetry, what Charlotte particularly excelled in were the fine arts. Her ability to read, compose and play music was like no other. Her voice seemed to always be in tune with each instrument she played, she was good enough to play in front of nobility. With that in mind, Mr. Evergrande would begin to take Charlotte to court to entertain his business partners with her musical talent.

When Charlotte did sing for the noble’s at court they were entranced by the beauty of her song almost instantly. By the time Charlotte had become an adult, she had grown to become a lovely and talented young woman. Men who once shunned and called her an urchin were sending her extravagant gifts and marriage proposals. However, Charlotte couldn't care less for their gifts or their empty compliments as she saw them all as bees, bees that were attracted to a flower at full bloom. When she sang in front of the nobility, she sang for no one but her father, the first man she knew to show her genuine kindness. On the day she became a full-fledged woman, Charlotte vowed to one day return her father’s kindness with her own song.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » I found my muse! I think...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus