Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Dice Rolls

RedPandaF0x

I would love to know how dice-rolls work. Could someone show me or help me out somehow? I've heard of it but don't know the exact mechanics.
There are various ways to use the dice-rolls as part of an RP. So "exact mechanics" are tough to nail down. :)

If you're playing a game like Dungeons and Dragons, the general mechanic is to say. "My character is attempting [insert action here]"

Then roll 1d20 and compare your result to some target number that the Game Master has determined is needed to succeed in that action. If it's something not too terribly hard, the GM might set that target number low (5+, you did it!). Or if it's next to impossible...it's going to be really high (18+).

Depending on your character's class and level, they might get a bonus to certain types of actions.

Personally, I like to use dice in play-by-post RP during action scenes, but since there's usually not a Game Master, I'll just make up some odds that seem reasonable for the situation. Often times I'll just "flip a coin" (roll a 1d2). 1-fail; 2-succeed

Or if I made up an NPC on the spot and they don't have any established backstory, I might roll to see if they are helpful or hostile.

Or if I just feel a little stuck about what should happen next and am suffering some writer's block, I'll make myself write down 4 possible things that might happen, then roll a 1d4 to determine which does. :)

There's a nice article here too: https://www.rprepository.com/help/dice-primer
rolled 1d2 and got a natural 1.

Note: My character's attack! 1-oops; 2-Whooo!

RedPandaF0x Topic Starter

Thank You!! I really appreciate you taking the time~

You are on: Forums » Help » Dice Rolls

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus