Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Quotes that apply to you

EdtheNeko

Okay, I thought this would be a good topic of discussion. Quotes that apply to you, you as in your life, your way of living, your own moral compass, things you just think are true or agree with.

Now I think quotes can tell a lot about a person. So try to list as many quotes from as many places as you want in your post. It can be quotes from speeches, movies, books, song lyrics, history, or anything else really as long as the quote is somewhat known.

Just take as many quotes that apply to you, or that you agree with and post them below. Just make sure all your quotes are in 1 post, and be sure to edit your post to add any in you think of later^^

So what are your quotes?
EdtheNeko Topic Starter

Heres my set of quotes, I'll add to them if I think of anymore.
"The things you own end up owning you."

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

"People do it everyday. They talk to themselves. They see themselves as they'd like to be. They don't have the courage you have to just run with it."

"I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may."

"Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

"If our father is our basis for God, and our fathers abandoned us, then what does that tell you about God?"

"When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I am a man, I have no more use for childish ways."

"Time and tide wait for no man."

"Success depends on forethought, dispassionate calculation of probabilities, and accounting for every stray variable."

"There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny. Each of those things are just a small part of it. I collect information to use in my own way. All of that blends to create a mixture that forms me and gives rise to my conscience. I feel confined, only free to expand myself within boundaries"

"(Person 1): Have you heard this story? A man injures his leg during a hunt. He's in the middle of the Savanah. No means to treat the wound, the leg rots and death approaches. Last minute, he's picked up by an airplane, he looks down and sees a land of pure white below him. Glistening in the light. It's the summit of a snowcap mountain. The mountain is Killamanjaro. As he gazes down he feels the life flowing out of him and he thinks... that was where I was headed..."| (Person 2): "And?".| (Person 1): I hate stories like that, Men only think about their past right before death, as if they were searching frantically for proof they were alive."

“There is no heaven or hell. No matter what you do while you're alive, everybody goes to the same place once you die. Death is Equal.”

“Start looking around you...and all you see are people the world would be better off without.”

“People love to see death. It reminds them that however mean, however low, however horrible their lives become… at least they have one"

"There are many types of monsters in this world, monsters who will not show themselves and who cause trouble. Monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood, and monsters who always tell lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance. They are much more cunning than other monsters. They pose as humans, even though they have no understanding of the human heart. They eat, even though they've never experienced hunger. They study even though the have no interest in academics. They seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such a monster, I would likely be eaten by it because, in truth, I am that monster."

"Just because I am alone, does not mean I am lonely. I am not you."
"Not all who wander are lost."

"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny."

"On the other side of fear lies freedom."

"Peace is retraining to your mind to process life as it is, rather than how you think it should be."

"I am greatly obliged to you, and to all who have come forward at the call of their country." -- Abraham Lincoln, August 22, 1864.

I do not look upon these United States as a finished product. We are still in the making. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Between you and every goal that you wish to achieve, there is a series of obstacles, and the bigger the goal, the bigger the obstacles. Your decision to be, have and do something out of the ordinary entails facing difficulties and challenges that are out of the ordinary as well. Sometimes your greatest asset is simply your ability to stay with it longer than anyone else."

"I'm hurt.. I ain't dead."

"Things are going to be really different now. Wheelchairs, canes, prosthetics.. For a while, things are going to suck while we learn to deal with this, but I'll be damned if I let it get the best of me, and so help me God, I will beat you with my metal leg if you let it get you down." - my husband
'Everyone has their own cradle of sorrow.'

Don Vito Corleone, the Godfather.
Sanne Moderator

A man reserves his true and deepest love not for the species of woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for that one in whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy.

If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes.

I believe in Karma. If the good is sown, the good is collected. When positive things are made, that returns well.

I surround myself with positive, productive people of good will and decency.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.

True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is he see the dawn before the rest of the world."

"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life long romance."

All these quotes are from Oscar Wilde, he is my absolute favorite writer.

another one I like is "I prefer the company of happy people who believe in magick, and magickal people who believe in happy." However I don't know who said it.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Quotes that apply to you

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus