Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Cool Things That Happen

This is a thread for posting nice, interesting, or 'cool' things that happen while you're around.

---

Tonight, a cricket hopped onto my shirt while I had the dogs outside. When I brought them back in, Jiminy must have decided he'd rather be on the screen door, so he hopped there and effectively trapped himself between the screen and the glass door. That's when I noticed him. I didn't want to hurt him, but I had nothing to trap him with and I didn't want to risk letting him inside (crickets can be incredibly noisy).

My father became aware of the situation and declared "I'll take care of this."

Well, I thought, I guess the cricket's going to die. But instead, almost miraculously for the person who kills spiders and flies like a pro, my old man slowly propped open the door, leaned in close, and blew on the cricket. It promptly jumped outside and into space. I can only assume it made it to space, because it never landed. Just jumped forever. Free.

Around here, crickets are usually heard and never seen. And insects are killed and never spared. I thought that was neat.
I can't think of anything to share off the top of my head, but I liked your story. It made me think of the starfish story, where the guy is throwing them one by one back into the ocean and someone is all 'why? it doesn't matter' and the original guy replies that it mattered to the starfish he just tossed.

I'd love to see more stories from other people! :)
I had a wild pet spider once. I went outside and saw this pretty big spider sitting on a web on the light fixture. I allowed it to be the only one to live out of the ones that close to the entrance.
Then I started feeding her. I'd throw bugs into her web. She ended up getting massive.
Then, it got to the point that if I took a bug and touched it just barely to the web, to let her know what was up, she would come and take it from me.
I know it was a she, because I watched her pump a few generations out. Probably killed a few of them in the house.
Oh. And then there was the bumblebee. I named him Bob.

Me and my brother would go to the porch to smoke, since it was nice out, and one day, we had this bumblebee buzz RIGHT up to us, and right up to my face. Like, between my eyes. So, I stared at it, and it stared back. Then it went to Chris. Did the same thing.
Then it buzzed to the middle, and hovered there the entire time we were out there, aside from buzzing infront of our faces like 'HEY, I'M HERE TOO' then back to his spot. Went on for about four days. I assume Bob got eaten. Poor Bob.
This doesn't have to me animal related, does it?
Someone donated a $6000 telescope to our school, so some science teachers are beginning an astronomy club. It's attraced a lot of attention- in my grade at least- and about thirty people are interested. It kind of feels like something out of a cliche high school movie where all the nerds have banded together and joined all the math and science related clubs.
The problem is that it has to be nighttime to stargaze, but we're also planning to go to events and planetariums, etc.
As for the telescope, we've named her Estella, after the character in Great Expectations, which we're studying in our English classes. It was my quick-witted chemistry teacher's suggestion.
AgentMoore Topic Starter

These stories are awesome, keep 'em coming!

I find that the small things impress me more than anything, and to see a bit of positivity in everyday life is really encouraging for days when you feel like it couldn't get any worse.
Tate

Had the usual awful day at work due to working mid-day shift, always full of awful.

Right before my shift ended, after kids just screaming and screaming in my ears, my last customers were an elderly couple. They acted almost like my partner and I: Immature in a happy, friendly way, with each other, teasing and giggling and just being incredibly sweet, and blowing away the whole idiotic 'ball and chain' types I usually see. Made my day.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Cool Things That Happen

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus