Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Is there anything wrong with certain reply lengths

Luscinioide

intrusive_plots wrote:
I cannot stand paragraph bloat during character conversations -- normal people just sit down and talk they don't really put the jazzhands on just for some gossip, right??

i'unno. really depends on the genre. i usually write in low sci-fi or dystopian settings, so the characters are always doing something else while they're talking. driving, weapon maintenance, travel, guard duty....the list goes on. i try not to 'waste time' on two characters sitting around doing nothing. keeps the story moving and emphasizes the important detail of "not every single line of dialogue needs to have a direct response. sometimes just nodding or grunting in agreement is acceptable."

it's kinda funny how different people's opinions on something like dialogue can be...i, for example, can't stand shorter dialogue posts because it feels like it's just robotic back-and-forth. :b BUT there's also the opposite side of the coin, where people wouldn't be able to stomach the long-winded banter and introspection that i do enjoy.

rp is weird lol

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Is there anything wrong with certain reply lengths

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus