Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Naiads? Naiads!

So I got the alt name Nomia, which is the name of a Greek Naiad (fresh water spirit or "nymph"). I'm not entirely sure where I want to go with the character, and my internet research has given me very little information about naiads other than that they are jealous and vengeful. What I have questions about are life span, and any powers they might have. ... As I'm sure you can all tell, I'm not so great with asking for help with these things xD So any extra information about naiads anyone has, I would really appreciate! For now, I shall continue my search via Google, and hope that I get this character right.
Yuka

Here's some of what I've turned up ->
Naiads were associated with fresh water, as the Oceanids were with saltwater and the Nereids specifically with the Mediterranean, but because the Greeks thought of the world's waters as all one system, which percolated in from the sea in deep cavernous spaces within the earth, there was some overlap

The essence of a naiad was bound to her spring, so if a naiad's body of water dried, she died.

They were often the object of archaic local cults, worshipped as essential to humans. Boys and girls at coming-of-age ceremonies dedicated their childish locks to the local naiad of the spring. In places like Lerna their waters' ritual cleansings were credited with magical medical properties. Animals were ritually drowned there. Oracles might be situated by ancient springs.

Genius loci: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius_loci
IsKait Topic Starter

oooh, thank you senny! *clicks link and continues to read multiple tabs about naiads* x3
Minerva

Naiads were playful in their own dark ways, and prone to drowning men. The god Dionysus originally had the name Dios, but was half-drowned by a Naiad that wanted to "save" him, and in saving him bound to him--her name was Nysu or something like that. Hence Dionysus. They were tricksters in their own ways, and ran through the forests of Dryads and played with the Satyrs, dogs that they were. Not quite as much like nymphs, but the two had a lot of similarities and end up blurring in my mind at times. I drew up a Naiad pic once and never used it for what I intended. If I find it I'll offer it to you, if it meets your idea. She's laying in the river bed, but the river comprises her hair in the waves, and shells over parts that are only vaguely defined but inappropriate, and bubbles contour the sides, and her body turns into various water dwelling creatures. Can't promise I have it on file though and I'm lack a scanner now.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Naiads? Naiads!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus