Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » New Fantasy Species - Looking for feedback!

Tate

Hey! So I'm working on a new species and am looking for a couple of things:
  • Breed suggestions for drawing - this includes mutts, so if you want to toss photos of random dogs, that'll be cool
  • Questions/suggestions regarding the species to help me flesh them out further!

CLICK HERE FOR INFO/RPR ON THEM

Here's two current doodles (also found on the page) :>

tumblr_n0ajyvUkAP1rya510o1_1280.png

tumblr_n0aeddM42H1rya510o1_1280.png

Current breed suggestion list: Current questions/suggestions:
  • Are 'domesticated' ones ever 'fashionably' docked/cropped? - nan
  • Why are they considered pests? - ed
  • Are the 'less intellectual' ones truly less intellectual, or just incapable of communicating in a 'human' manner; how complex is communication within the species and do 'intelligent' vaasa deal well with their own species? - nan

Thank you for your suggestions/comments/questions and interest! <3<3 Really looking forward to it!
What's the use of those extra arms? Though they appear pretty human-like, they look a bit short and awkwardly-placed to be of much use.
Tate Topic Starter

Novalyyn wrote:
What's the use of those extra arms? Though they appear pretty human-like, they look a bit short and awkwardly-placed to be of much use.
Salma Vaasa page wrote:
The second set (placed almost directly behind the battle-limbs) once more can be described as human-like - in fact, they are generally the same size as a human's - on such a large creature, they in fact look stunted, as if chopped off a humanoid and sewn to the beast's sides; these are called caster hands, and for Vaasa that have harnessed magic, these are key to their spellcasting.

The idea of 'caster arms' is semi-vaguely taken from how the Draegloth in D&D uses their secondary arms.
Oh, jeez, I didn't even notice that was a link up there. ^^;
Tate Topic Starter

Novalyyn wrote:
Oh, jeez, I didn't even notice that was a link up there. ^^;

HEH I figured that's what happened. I'll make it more obvious :>
dio

wowe doges

if you plan on sticking to hounds there's the ibizan hound 1592010_146529392S_coverdragon.gif

or you don't mind using something stockier.. maybe a dogo argentino hqdefault.jpg

or for maximum wowe.... a tibetan mastiff
e4f65bad276d94daee8a2494_tibetan-mastiffs.jpg
Tate Topic Starter

THESE ARE ALL FANTASTIC (also the brown/white is an ibi hound)
Tate Topic Starter

gl-30997-1391470152.png

MM BEEFY
dio

such beefcake wowe
Tate Topic Starter

ZqNlKG5.png

COLOURFUL DOGE

Yes, colourful ones are canon - the ones born with the ability to cast are generally quite colourful. Which can suck for them. :> Poor bebez.

I'm going to make the call of 'their markings do not vary from real dog markings' though.
Tate Topic Starter

Lots of updates given! Check the 'Questions and comments' page, and the bottom of 'The Magic Eater' page!

Questions answered:
Questions and Comments page wrote:
Why are the Salma Vaasa considered pests?

Some have asked - if demons are willing to tame/domesticate these creatures and find uses for them, why, then, are they considered pests by others? The question is a good one - and the answer is fairly simple, with real-life parallels. Why are wolves, coyotes, and feral dogs often considered pests, while pets and working animals are worthwhile? Because they (are accused of or actually do) kill livestock and otherwise endanger society, especially those on the outskirts. Though Vaasa dislike the taste of a demon's magic, they'd generally rather not starve, so Vaasa with little else to hunt most certainly will attack - at times in groups - lone or weaker demons.

What are Vaasa used for, by those who tame them?

There are multiple uses, as a very general thing - obviously some would have much more unique or specialized uses that lie outside what I'm going to list. Some are simply kept as pets - even demons have their 'soft' spots or not-so-devious pleasures. Some are supplemental to fighting forces - what else to attack a foe's casting unit? Some are used for entertainment - pitted against each other or other magical beasts. Some even have been used to continually keep caster captives weak.

Are captive Vaasa ever docked/cropped?

Yes. Whether this is a regular thing, though, depends on the breeder.

Are the 'less intellectual' ones truly less intelligent, or just incapable of communicating in a 'human' manner?

From an outsider's view, it's questionable - but most agree that the less 'intellectual' vaasa are truly more beast-like, and thus - in their opinion - not intelligent.

However, in all actuality, I'd call them more 'instinctual' versus 'adaptive'. They live more within theirselves than without; it is like an owl versus a vulture - the owl lives on instinct and hunts always the same way and takes months and months to learn a new behaviour - whereas it only takes a time or two for the vulture to learn something new and to adapt, to work around and find new ways. In other words - yes, they truly are not as intelligent as the magic users (who have a thirst to learn and adapt, rather than just survive), but they're not stupid in the sense that they might simply forget to breathe or not realize fire is hot. I hope that makes sense!

How complex is communication within the species?

Incredibly. I will leave this open to player interpretation - I will not set down exact rules and create some complex sign language and body language guide - but Vaasa, even the more beastial, can communicate exactly what they mean, where, when, how - even name individuals within and without their species, on top of being able to identify individual outside species from one another. Think 'feral animal' roleplay without the random talking.

A suggestion for RPing a Vaasa talking to another Vaasa would be to include what you want to be saying in brackets of some sort - and try not to make it too much like complex speech. <There - (_species_) - to the left - behind - (_vaasa name_)> versus <There is a _____ to the left behind you, ____!>

Keep in mind that human sign language often relies on combining multiple words to make a new one or a phrase that might not seem quite like it'd make sense to those who don't know sign language, so use this to enhance your RP's realism!

Do 'intelligent' vaasa deal well with their own species?

Generally, the more intelligent Vaasa often do one of two things: They use their superior intelligence to harness their brethren or to aide them (Vaasa are not inherently evil!), or they feel alienated or bored by the 'simple' life of mundane Vaasa and leave to seek more.

Do Vaasa breeds actually correspond to IRL dog breeds?

No. My drawing and labeling them as '_breed_-type' is mainly for my own purposes, and to add a level of familiarity for others. Generally, a wild Vaasa will look similar to mainly sight hounds - lurchers - but they can easily vary to look like any actual hunting hound, or mix there-of. Vaasa being bred to look otherwise do not necessarily have to correspond to real life dog breeds - or they can, if you, the player, want them to.

The general 'must haves' of Vaasa, that are always present, regardless of variation, would be the long tail (the length of their body or more - unless docked, of course!), the six limbs in the same formation and conformation (though length and thickness can vary), the needle teeth, and the pinprick eyes (generally unnatural colours, even in mundanes).
I happened upon this thread and was looking at some pictures, the questions and answers, and a few comments. It's a pretty awesome race! I think a more lizard sub species (not exactly completely lizardish, but some lizard elements), or cousin species, would be sick. Then people living in different areas could have a different kind. I dunno, haven't thought it all the way through but figured it was worth a mention.

These things are beasts, I want one.
Tate Topic Starter

You could totally do that! :D Let me know how it goes!
I have no intention of playing one, but they are interesting. So I thought I would ask you some questions to help out those who might intend to play one.

1. How often do they need to feed?

2. How much magic do they generally consume during a meal?

3. What happens if they eat too much?

4. Are there any types of magic they can't digest? Like perhaps holy magic?

5. Do they have a pack structure similar to wolves?

6. Are there any differences between the sexes?

7. Are the genders equal or is one gender more dominant?
Tate Topic Starter

Katia wrote:
I have no intention of playing one, but they are interesting. So I thought I would ask you some questions to help out those who might intend to play one.
Eee! Thank you for your questions!

1. How often do they need to feed?

I'd say as often as any carnivore. Seeing as many carnivores actually often go a few days between meals (most meals are usually gorging, once gotten), they'd need to eat every few days before they begin to suffer the effects of starvation - which will follow similar to any other animal.

2. How much magic do they generally consume during a meal?

As much as they can. When's the next meal going to be, after all? Seeing as magic isn't a real thing, I can't truly give an estimate and this would have to be up to players to individually decide.

3. What happens if they eat too much?

Unless the magic they eat has a curse laced into it or is defensive against this sort of attack, there should be no ill effect beyond feeling ill and lazy from too much food.

4. Are there any types of magic they can't digest? Like perhaps holy magic?

Holy magic would be a definite. Any others would be up to individual players, if they want their vaasa to be allergic or sensitive to something or other.

5. Do they have a pack structure similar to wolves?

Seeing as what most people know about wolf hierarchy is severe misinformation due to botched scientific study, I'm going to steer WELL clear of this. Any vaasa living together would be family or find a mutual benefit. They're intelligent enough to cooperate, after all. I'd align their behaviour more closely to dogs, who always work to benefit each other - at least when people aren't using some awful Ceasar Millan techniques on them. This information obviously serves mostly the Mundane (and much more common) vaasa.

6. Are there any differences between the sexes?
The Magic Eater wrote:
There seems to be no sexual dimorphism.

7. Are the genders equal or is one gender more dominant?

Due to there being no true dimorphism, unless the concept is introduced to the more intelligent ones, there would be no form of gender dominance. There is often something said of the peasants in the middle ages - all were equal when death was always just around the corner and life depended on everyone's shoulders - or something like that! So, reiterating - there is no genetic reason for it, and no social reason for it.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » New Fantasy Species - Looking for feedback!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus