Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Character Advice Please <3

(( I'm going to be listing a few of my characters here in a moment, and I'd like to get some advice on how to improve them and/or their profiles! ))
Tavio O. Alamilla (played anonymously)

TAVIO O. ALAMILLA
The sorcerer who dared defy the horn of light, left the fight; within a river of blood red that is not his enemies, but their own."

https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1473612/440309

A Evil, powerful sorcerer from many, many years ago, that died and was one day reincarnated as a normal, everyday child with no known powers or sorcery.
Vischer V. Angeln (played anonymously)

VISCHER VAN ANGELN
"Tired, are you?" He raised his brow. "I know a place you can rest..." He beckoned you and lead you into a different room.
...Is he strapping you to an autopsy table?

https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1473888

"In my evil freakin'lab doing whatever the heck." (Demonic Mad Scientist that tries to be evil though he isn't at all...)
Luca Barnes Haller (played anonymously)

LUCA BARNES HALLER
Son to a man named Jekyll Victor Haller, who is currently housed in one of the most tightly-secured prisons of all. Luca Barnes Haller spends his time in his room doing alchemy, which causes the occasional explosion to be heard or smoke to linger throughout his neighborhood.

Luca goes to private classes due to his hostile nature in the past, but isn't much better with his attitude, just calmer and won't attack you. His aunt currently takes care of him, but she is hardly around due to work in other countries, so she usually hires a babysitter for him, Luca hates that.

Luca often makes sure that his babysitters find their way out of the house and locks them out, and the aunt is always upset that she has to hire a new babysitter because the previous one quit. He knows of his father, and has never seen him in-person (only in his uncle's album), but wants to someday meet him.

https://www.rprepository.com/c/Shortalchemyboy

13-year-old Mad Scientist Recluse
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

(( Alright! Done! Please tell me what everyone thinks and how I can improve my OCs! ))

((though be gentle on Luca, he's my favorite <_< :star:))
Not gonna lie, dude, you have some pretty sick ideas! I wanna to disclaim that before I say anything else, 'cause I do think that you got your creative heart in the right spot- but uh, my advice is this: do not steal people's character art. Nearly all pictures on these profiles are beautifully drawn artworks that aren't credited anywhere and, do correct me if you actually did commission all these pieces for your own use, don't appear to be made by or for you. I mean, a lot of people tend to just take what they see on the internet so I don't think there's any ill intend with you doing this, it's just something that's not really swiggidy swag, you feel? I recommend sites like HeroForge, Picrew and Meiker.io for those custom references, but you can of course always try to pick up a pencil and draw original art yourself, or look around for people to do it for you. Cool characters otherwise, cheers bro!
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

GarnaalProductions wrote:
Not gonna lie, dude, you have some pretty sick ideas! I wanna to disclaim that before I say anything else, 'cause I do think that you got your creative heart in the right spot- but uh, my advice is this: do not steal people's character art. Nearly all pictures on these profiles are beautifully drawn artworks that aren't credited anywhere and, do correct me if you actually did commission all these pieces for your own use, don't appear to be made by or for you. I mean, a lot of people tend to just take what they see on the internet so I don't think there's any ill intend with you doing this, it's just something that's not really swiggidy swag, you feel? I recommend sites like HeroForge, Picrew and Meiker.io for those custom references, but you can of course always try to pick up a pencil and draw original art yourself, or look around for people to do it for you. Cool characters otherwise, cheers bro!

Thank you! And yeah, I'm aware... I'm trying to figure out ways to solve that issue, but it seems Picrew just isn't cutting it for me. Picrew looks so unnatural and honestly, as a viewer, leads me away from roleplaying..

I do want to note that the faceclaims for Tavio and Vischer are actually faceclaims from TV Shows/Movies. <3
Tavio is Carlos from Encanto and Vischer is Baxter from Hasbin Hotel (I think, seems like it though)

I do admit, Luca is definitely not a faceclaim from a fandom, but once again, I'm working on it and just having a hard time getting myself to use something like Picrew or Heroforge...

Plus, I feel as if even with these character creators, I'd take too much inspiration from the original piece. :(
Luscinioide

not trying to be snarky or anything, but to go off of what Garn said, using that art is actually against site rules. you might get some leeway for being younger, but nonetheless art theft is still immoral - especially when you're not crediting the original creators. it actively harms creators by taking away traffic from them and can also put them in some serious crap if those pieces happened to be commissions/someone else's original design. it's also a headache for the mods; all it takes is one cranky artist skipping straight to filing DMCA claims.

here is RPR's official standpoint on art theft:
wrote:
For the most part, uploading gallery images, profile avatars, and using bbcode to post images from off-site is largely handled through the honor system -- by posting, you are certifying to us that you have permission to use the art in question.

Unfortunately, this isn't always true. If we find that you are using art or images without permission, we will remove it. Depending on how severe the problem is, other penalties may be taken against your account, up to and including having your account closed.

dealing with "less aesthetically pleasing art" > stealing from content creators, potentially harming their income, and also opening the doorway for mods to have to deal with angry artists. there are thousands of picrews, stock photos, requests, raffles, all kinds of ways to get art for your character without having sticky fingers. artists here on RPR regularly run free art giveaways.

i hope you'll reconsider using these pieces :) art theft is a huge problem in the RP community and the normalization of it is very problematic. people think it's okay because they see other people do it, but it really isn't. i would be very distraught if someone took my art or any of my character's depictions because i have personal connections to all of them. if you're going to use it anyways, the bare minimum you can do is find the original artist and credit them.
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Alrighty! I'm working on replacing the images soon. :)

I really need advice on other things though, so please consider that too. <3
Luscinioide

of course, of course...we're just making sure you've got the 'legal and morally acceptable' grounds out of the way first and foremost ;D you would definitely not want all that hard work to go to waste if your profiles got taken down, lol
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Saturninum wrote:
of course, of course...we're just making sure you've got the 'legal and morally acceptable' grounds out of the way first and foremost ;D you would definitely not want all that hard work to go to waste if your profiles got taken down, lol

True, true. XD
I'd might cry if Luca, specifically, had gotten his profile taken down.

(Note; I have now credited the original artist, though I haven't the permission since I refuse to use mainstream social media <3
I'm working on finding stuff to replace the "stolen" art such as picrews, heroforge, etc... Even if it is a little...eh.)
Luscinioide

PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Thank you <3

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Character Advice Please <3

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus