Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Navy Veteran

By the decree of the United States Government, I am a Navy veteran.....So, I think it's easy to ask any kinds of questions!
Claine Moderator

Were you ever assigned to a ship? (And if so what's life at sea like)
AgitoAceXIII Topic Starter

Claine wrote:
Were you ever assigned to a ship? (And if so what's life at sea like)

I've never been assigned to an actual warship, per say, however....
Each barracks in RTC (or Recruit Training Command) is named after warships, so you could say I was assigned to several of them lol
As far as life at sea, I wouldn't know too much, but I imagine it can be quite gut-wrenching if you don't have your sea legs

I mean I've been out on the ocean a couple times on like...ferries and whatnot, and I've swam in the Atlantic, so, I've seen how seas and oceans can be lol
Were you ever stationed outside the country? If so, or if not, where was your favorite place to be stationed and why?

DarkonDreams wrote:
Were you ever stationed outside the country? If so, or if not, where was your favorite place to be stationed and why?

If only, but my Navy journey was only as far as Illinois. I didn’t really make it in so far, however I could always go back and my journeys that way again (which is in my plans)
As someone that was originally considering a career with the armed forces (although in Canada), I absolutely dreaded doing the aptitude test lol. Did you have to do one? And did they assign you to the Navy, or you sort of had a choice in the matter (as in, Army, Air Force)

JS_pd2000 wrote:
As someone that was originally considering a career with the armed forces (although in Canada), I absolutely dreaded doing the aptitude test lol. Did you have to do one? And did they assign you to the Navy, or you sort of had a choice in the matter (as in, Army, Air Force)

Members of the United States military all take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, (ASVAB), scored out of 100.

I did take one, and I believe my final score was 46 or 47, which is passing but not necessarily a “great” score, but an average one.

Finally, I did have a choice in what branch I served, it wasn’t pre-picked for me. I had my option of the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard, and I was going to go CG first, but they didn’t call back, so I considered the Army after being pulled aside by a recruiter, and finally chose the Navy after some thinking lol

To add onto my answer, pretty much everyone has a choice into what branch they serve, as the US Armed Forces are, at the moment, volunteer only and not just…conscription or drafting lol

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Navy Veteran

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus