Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - RPR Mod

Auberon Moderator

It's a bit late in the week to get this goin', but I've been a wee bit busy. We got some great questions last year, so I thought it would be worth offering folks the chance to ask questions and peek behind the curtain a bit. I've been mod for a few years now and would love to offer some insight to people.

You can read last year's RPR Mod AMA here.

As before, and so again, I have some caveats:

Do not discuss reports or cases in this thread, and do not inquire about others' mod cases. We treat these as private and confidential, and any such posts will need to be removed. However, you may still discuss whether or not a subject is something that should be reported, clarification for rules, etc. The PG-13ish rating applies, so please be mindful of that in your wording.

Additionally, there may be some questions I cannot answer for security reasons, but I will do my best to be as forthcoming as possible without endangering our ability to effectively moderate the site.

Also if you're having any issues with the site itself, please direct your attention to the bug report form, as this is something only Kim can help you with.

Now get at me!
1 // What's your favorite part about being a mod?
2 // What is the funniest thing that's happened to you as a mod?
3 // ..Do the mods prank each other? /jk
4 // Why did you become a mod?
5 // Any advice on those wanting to become a mod someday?
6 // Does weaponry like swords, knifes, guns, etc, have to be warned? (I ask this because of my current icon)
Auberon Topic Starter Moderator

Quote:
1 // What's your favorite part about being a mod?

I love the team I work with. They're some of the first and last people I speak to on a daily basis. It's just a genuine joy to get to interact with them. We share more than just modly duties. I have gotten to watch mod kiddos grow over the years, see art styles evolve, and we support each other through trials and triumphs. Truly the best mod coworkers I've ever had!
Quote:
2 // What is the funniest thing that's happened to you as a mod?

I have an absolute goldfish brain, so I'm sure that funnier things have happened. But based on what immediately comes to mind... probably getting moderated on an anon character. I forget the infraction, but I think I'd either mislabeled or forgotten to mark an image mature. I got the same form letter we all get and had a good chuckle about it.
Quote:
3 // ..Do the mods prank each other? /jk

Not in so many words, but we are not without teasing senses of humor. ;)
Quote:
4 // Why did you become a mod?

Truth be told, I have been doing moderation and community management for the better part of 20 years. It felt like a logical continuation of something I already enjoyed. It was an opportunity to help a community that has already given me so much. Plus, I've worked for Kim previously while doing art for the game Furcadia, so I knew she'd be a great boss.
Quote:
5 // Any advice on those wanting to become a mod someday?

I touched upon this a bit last year, so I'll pluck from those answers if you don't mind!
Auberon wrote:
All in all, mods are less simply authority figures and more human meat shields. Image uploads take up the bulk of our work, and it's often how we catch violations of rules pretty immediately, which can (and often does) lead to us investigating more deeply if we're finding several alarming images. We look at all of this stuff so that none of you have to be faced with it if you don't want to, and so that everyone can stay safe. If you're ever thinking of becoming a mod, be prepared to come onboard with a very strong stomach.

Regarding the mod application process:
Auberon wrote:
Take your time on the answers, and be honest. Some of the questions are very hard, and that's on purpose. These questions are based on real moderation situations that we have encountered in the past (or still do often), and we're looking to see if someone approaches community management the same way that we do. I encountered one question where (at the time), there was no official rule posted anywhere (I spent 20 minutes looking), and so I may have written a small essay out of nerves. I ended up saying, "There is no rule, but this is what I would personally do..." We want to know how you would handle these scenarios, so really think on it and don't rush through the application. If there doesn't seem to be a "right" answer for a question, it's because issues are rarely black and white. Just take it one step at a time and do your best. :)

Beyond that, my biggest advice is to engage in the community whenever possible. It's important to remember that we are not lords in a castle but rather members of the community with a greater responsibility to keep it safe. Being an active part of that community will not only help keep you grounded, but will also help maintain a greater level of trust amongst community members. Wouldn't you rather deal with a mod you know is friendly and empathetic? :)

Oop I missed one!
Quote:
6 // Does weaponry like swords, knifes, guns, etc, have to be warned? (I ask this because of my current icon)

Unless the weapon imagery includes blood/gore/violence against self or another being, this is generally not something we would consider mature. If your icon was above PG-13, we would ideally let you know sometime soon after it's been uploaded barring unforeseen circumstances or human error!
Auberon wrote:
Oop I missed one!
Quote:

Unless the weapon imagery includes blood/gore/violence against another being, this is generally not something we would consider mature. If your icon was above PG-13, we would ideally let you know sometime soon after it's been uploaded barring unforeseen circumstances or human error!

Thanks for all the answers.

And thank you for this one specifically. :)

Happy to offer clarification!
Claine Moderator

Hello!!

Can mods see the owners of anonymous characters??

Can they see into Top Secret groups?

Can they read your PMs??

Claine wrote:
Hello!!

Can mods see the owners of anonymous characters??

Mods cannot see the owners of anonymous characters without submitting the reason why we are checking so that a permanent record of the action can be made that we cannot edit or delete. We only use this ability in situations where there is a demonstrable need for the sake of community safety, such as when someone is using anonymous characters to engage in malicious activity.
Quote:
Can they see into Top Secret groups?

We cannot! Only Kim, the admin, is able to view top secret contents anywhere on the site (this does not include draft profiles, which all mods can see). Mods do not have access to or any power in any user-run group unless it is granted to them by that group's founder.
Quote:
Can they read your PMs??

Mods can only read your PMs if you or another person in the conversation reports one of the messages. Several messages preceding and following the reported message will also be included for additional context regarding the report.

Other than that, mods cannot view your PMs.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - RPR Mod

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus