Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Zombie Apocalypse

Just throwing a thought to see what the interest in such an idea would be. Basic zombie apocalypse story with survivors in a city or wherever. Mainly because I'm playing Dead island right now is why i thought of this and thought it could be an interesting RP idea.
Minerva

Depends on the basis of it. I miss my last zombie survival character. Basement dwelling momma-living gamer dork built like a twig with a bad case of asthma. Actually ends up helping him survive though, the zombie disease/parasite withered around caffeine-like compounds in that setting, so between his 30 cans of Monster and the chemicals in the inhaler, he could spray zombies in the face and run away.

I prefer fun spins. I tire of zombie RPs where everyone who comes in is either a billy badass with six guns, or a p**sed off black chick with a frying pan. I like new concepts on how to resist it to play with.

Also be careful with Dead Island. Both versions, though the PS3 specifically, has a problem with its autosave. Make SURE you see the autosave kick on before you turn off your game or prepare to lose like ten levels. I work at gamestop and I've heard a lot of people quit the game based on that. There's also one glitchy door you can get stuck behind where it DOES autosave and you can be stuck and have to restart, but that's early on so if you haven't hit that yet you're probably safe. Dead Island suffered the same hex as Duke Nukem, essentially taking almost a decade to release, update repeatedly, etc a game and the company was forced with deciding on bankruptcy or selling a glitchy piece of [bleep] as it was.
Legion Topic Starter

Minerva wrote:
Depends on the basis of it. I miss my last zombie survival character. Basement dwelling momma-living gamer dork built like a twig with a bad case of asthma. Actually ends up helping him survive though, the zombie disease/parasite withered around caffeine-like compounds in that setting, so between his 30 cans of Monster and the chemicals in the inhaler, he could spray zombies in the face and run away.

I prefer fun spins. I tire of zombie RPs where everyone who comes in is either a billy badass with six guns, or a p**sed off black chick with a frying pan. I like new concepts on how to resist it to play with.

Also be careful with Dead Island. Both versions, though the PS3 specifically, has a problem with its autosave. Make SURE you see the autosave kick on before you turn off your game or prepare to lose like ten levels. I work at gamestop and I've heard a lot of people quit the game based on that. There's also one glitchy door you can get stuck behind where it DOES autosave and you can be stuck and have to restart, but that's early on so if you haven't hit that yet you're probably safe. Dead Island suffered the same hex as Duke Nukem, essentially taking almost a decade to release, update repeatedly, etc a game and the company was forced with deciding on bankruptcy or selling a glitchy piece of [bleep] as it was.

Ohhhhh yea i was at the end of chapter 4, i have the xbox 360 version, and it glitched me from right before armoring the truck, to the city where i had no main quest, could not get the main quest from the church as i had never visited it and so forth. Had to restart the game x.x
Phrostphyre

Everybody always thinks to stop the zombies with guns. Almost a never a sword, and when a sword is used, it's usually a katana, not a sword meant to shatter men and horses on a field of battle, like the broadsword. First place I would hit up would be a museum, for the weaponry.
Minerva

Oh, that's rough, Silver. I actually feel bad for pushing Dead Island as hard as I did at work, I had no way of knowing the glitchy problems and I feel bad when my customers come in and complain now. It LOOKED epic, it just has flaws. (Hopefully I'm not breaking company policy saying this much. I'm pretty sure I just can't tell you to go buy stuff at the store. If some random webcrawler finds this, please PM me my correction, I don't mean any infraction!)
Legion Topic Starter

@Phrost
i compleatly agree with you!

@Minerva
Yea it sucked royally and i have debated on selling dead island to get Gears of War 3
Minerva

If you didn't pre-order GoW you're probably gonna run into a problem there. It was very high demand and I'll be surprised if walmart has any copies not already sold out or just for display. We're getting to the point of year that you need to put pre-orders (be it at my job, or on amazon or wherever) where if you want a big name game you order it in advance, lest you want to face the beating of mothery high heels in christmas season. I know our little town in the middle of nowhere, population 7000, had like 100 reserves on it. So you may have a while before you find any copies of GoW3, but maybe that's just in my area.

Dead Island has its qualities, just don't be surprised by glitchiness.
Legion Topic Starter

There is like 4 or 5 game stops near the town i live in, a best buy, two wal-marts, a target. Usually they don't run out of big name games which is good for me, plus i work on base near by that sells games as well. And mostly the game i really am waiting on is Skyrim. I agree, Dead island is a good game, cept for the glitches, i love the weapon modding and such, and the free roam exploration.
Minerva

I've already got my pre-order of Skyrim paid off. That's what I'm waiting on, too.

Don't be surprised. Never forget the Furby stampedes, the Tickle me Elmo shortages, and so on. This year is notorious for a lot of great game releases coming out. I know someone with 48 reserves, 30 of which are out by christmas. There's a lot of videogame buzz right now, so multiple stores or not big titles might end up selling out.
This went from an RP idea to talka bout games, fun, and quite well timed since I've been playing Dead Island (Though I have yet to bump into any sort of glitch) and was thinking how a zombie RP would work.

You can thus count me as interested if this goes anywhere.

Sidenote: going to a museum during a zombie apocalypse is msot like a bad idea, musea are usually situated in place with a high population, which means a lot of zombies. No matter how good your sword is, it won't save you from a horde :p
Legion Topic Starter

you have been lucky then ToBeContinued xD because its rife with glitches from getting hit by attacks that don't touch you sometimes, to what happened to me. Also, gears of War 3 is awesome!!! i had it on pre-order and compleatly forgot i did xD though that had nothing to do with this convo >.>
Phrostphyre

Indeed, but if you get the right sword..... Such as a claymore. The two handed sort. It's meant to hack through multiple people at a time, flesh, muscle, bone. At one time. So you could probably find one of those babies and hack your way through to the country-side.

And true that. If this goes anywhere, count me in.
Phrostphyre wrote:
Indeed, but if you get the right sword..... Such as a claymore. The two handed sort. It's meant to hack through multiple people at a time, flesh, muscle, bone. At one time. So you could probably find one of those babies and hack your way through to the country-side.

And true that. If this goes anywhere, count me in.

Swinging a weapon like that around is not going to be that efficient unless you're someone with a lot of stamina from going to the gym plenty of times in the week. No matter what it's made to do, what it does still depends on the user. People back in the days were trained warriors. We civillians are not so trained. So you're either going to get tired real soon or be surrounded (possibly both). Because zombies aren't going to stop because someone's swinging a sword around and will just keep coming at you and I think you'll grow tired before the zombies do.

Unless we're talking about shuffling zombies, but those ain't no fun, you can just walk past them without issue. In a shufflin apocalyspe you wouldn't even need a weapon, just walk away.
Minerva

Gears of War does = epic.

Anyway, TBC, I like your logic. Most people forget that you can't just pick up the nearest weapon and start swinging it around. Fact of the matter is, most of the people who RP have never even picked up a real sword, even a simple longsword, to understand how the weight and balance works. I have a small assortment of swords and exotic daggers. The husband used to have an ornamental axe, too, but that got comphiscated when we got pulled over one night--they exaggerated the size and called it an assault weapon even though it didn't meet parameters. And me? Even though I practice with it, I don't have it in my head that I could just go swinging against the first Dawn of the Dead Zombie to come sprinting at me. Not with the efficiency the average RPer would try to render while their every day joe blows ran from ravenous hoardes.

It's part of what destroys balance in RP. I have a character whose entire existance from the moment he could think and walk was training in melee to the point of counteracting magic slingers wherever possible. A multi-weapon-weilding dark knight type who lived and breathed it. War literally was his blood. But every multi-classing douchebag out there could still predict the moves coming at them perfectly because their player read the text in the screen.

That kind of thought gets irritating.

I still miss my nerd-survivor. <3
Legion Topic Starter

I agree, a sword/Axe or any type of melee weapon like that is heavy, not to mention it uses an entirely different set of muscles then you normally use. Going to the gym or being physically fit will help out some, but unless you actually have trained on it your going to tire out pretty fast no matter what. AND! if you guy's want to start an RP about zombie's lets think of a idea and hash it out then start an RP?
Minerva, I'm glad you like my logic. I just like my zombie survival stuff to be close to the real thing. Probably because it mostly plays off in present day.

And well to get started there are several questions that need to be answered:

What country?
What village/city?
What year/month/day?
Where in the time period of the infection do we start?
At what location do we start/do the survivors meet?
What kind of characters are allowed? (This is connected to time period of infection. Example: if we start x days after Day 0 military personnel might be present. While if we start at Day 0 it won't be.)
What form of storytelling? Do we have a DM that leads the story or do we all control it?
Minerva

Well, yeah. It's a relatively realistic setting and we should treat it as if any person on the street would experience it. People go, oh pfft, zombies. Nevermind a few recorded instances of very similar parallels. Did you know a rare strain of malaria once killed a bunch of Cambodians, made them get back up and act mindless and violent for a few hours, and fall over dead again? I'm serious.

In fact The Center for Disease Control has released a survival book for the zombie apocalypse. I'm not kidding. Really.
Legion Topic Starter

Well, sorry for the typos im drunk, maby i shouldn't be posting but oh well............

Country can be somewhere in the Americas, in Europe somewhere, or hell to be different the antarctic or via resident evil game maby africa? or some other island place?
City can be whatever we all decide after the country.
I say modern day? Or what do you guy's think?
Infection time period hrmm.......maby already there, or it might be interesting to rp out the infection day where it all begins??? What do you guys think?
In town or village, or farm house or something prolly, all going to a evacuation point that they heard about cept it's not up and running when they get there.
Ummmm chara's maby whatever we want, but yea depends on when we start really im a combat medic in real life in the army in real life, and its what i know best so i may do that........maby on vacation wherever it starts? But it depends on if we all get this going of course and what time it starts out at.
As for DM, thats a good question? What do you guys think? And yea Min, i saw that xD saw a thing that said there website crashed as well though its teaching you how to prepare for a hurrican, just using a way that gets to our generation of younger people.
Minerva

Yeah, I know Silver, but it's funny to make people blink and doublethink. The Malaria is a real story though. The reports slightly exaggerate it but if you read the medical report it's a "just as close" sort of thing. It shows that there is disturbing potential for a disease just like that.

I'd talk more on the ideas for it but I'm more a type to consider whether to jump in, than construct, these days. Used to brainstorm like this a lot but my net time these days is low so it's a 'i'll jump in if it works out' thing with me.
Phrostphyre

North America? It's so easy to get weapons in the Southern United States. I'm not even kidding.

Probably either a city or a largeish township.

Modern day, because it's the only feasible way for a large scale infection to spread. Thank modern air travel for that.

Well. Been covered pretty well so far, but my two cents: Probably early on. To show the deterioration of human civilization and all that, wot?

This covers characters and DM and where they meet: Perhaps the DM possesses a broadcasting device and they get their message where to assemble?

Anyway, I'm down for whatever.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Zombie Apocalypse

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus