Skip to main content

Forums » Help » How do I find groups to join?

I've tried reading through the lists, but it's confusing and it takes a lot of time to sort through them all. Is there a way for me to find them faster when I don't have a specific topic in mind? Or do I have to enter a search word?

Note to Mods: It would be a good idea to add tags to each group so that people can sort groups by genres, time periods, themes, etc.
If you use the Find RP tool, you can use the scrollbars at the bottom to adjust to what you're looking for. The first listings will be for various game ideas posted to it, but below those games, groups that fit those setting will be listed. (I'll agree that it could be a bit easier and more intuitive, though.)

You can also describe what sort of groups you'd like to join and ask folks if they have suggestions. Hearing from those involved with the group could be more reliable than just skimming through the quick descriptions.
lyingsmile15 Topic Starter

I've tried using the Find RP tool, but no matter what settings I put in, it tends to pull up only a few groups, and because the filters are so limited, it often pulls up groups that are sort of what I want... but have certain elements that I don't want.

In the way of talking to people, I'm very new to the site and not so good about meeting new people.
Don't worry too much about meeting people, necessarily. Just go ahead and make a post - maybe in Looking for RP, maybe RP Discussion, maybe in Smalltalk, whichever seems like the right place - describing the sort of group you'd like, and let people throw ideas at you.

I understand that you may be feeling a bit nervous. I've typically been shy and off in a corner whenever I've gone to a new place. I decided to try being a bit different here, and after just a tiny bit of testing the waters, dove right in, and I've been very happy for it. :) Sometimes responses may be slow, or you might not get any on your first attempt, until you have to bump your post back up from the second or third page. No one will think anything bad of you for it, though. ^_^

I'm not sure what sort of group you're looking for (and I can't say for sure if there are any that quite fit, as groups are still relatively new), the ones I'm involved with are OKAY, Characterization Corporation, and Villains-R-Us.
Sanne Moderator

People often advertise their groups in the RP Discussion forums, or even in Looking for RP.

Nova's right, you can post in either one of these forums (possibly with a title like "Looking for a <genre> group") and specify in your post what you're looking for. Chances are someone will refer you to a group that meets your needs! Currently, this is your best option. Or you can always start your own group. ;)

You can also try using the search function of the site. Select 'Groups' from the dropdown and try searching for a couple of keywords. It will search for group names currently, but it might turn up some useful results.

Groups are currently still in development so not everything is currently optimized. Something like keywords/tags and increased search functionality is already planned! You can find more group development things here. Don't forget to vote for features you'd really like to see. There's a button at the top right saying "I want this" that you can click for that. ;)

@Novalyyn - I've managed to make a few friends by posting in the looking for RP Forum, but I'm a bit too shy to do much else.
Honestly, I don't know what group I'm looking for either... I guess whatever catches my interest and seems to have RPs similar to what I would normally be interested in.

@Sanne - Aah, that makes more sense that they're new. I was wondering why 50% of them were Furcadia... and a large number of others had less than 5 members.
Sanne Moderator

Keep in mind that there is also the option to make a group invisible. I know there are several large groups that will never show up in search results because the group owner has set it to secret. You'll have to be invited by someone with the ability to do so in order to join.

:O Oh!
Somehow, despite remembering to left mine as public, it never crossed my mind that any groups might be hidden. XD

And I forgot about the regular search function... even though I've used it...

You are on: Forums » Help » How do I find groups to join?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus