Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Metalocalypse.

Minerva

Discuss.

Personally I'm dying to see the next season.
I have a Dethklok wallet and all five band member figures. Own both seasons on DVD and both Dethalbums. I love Swkisgaar. I named my first pet in WoW Skwisgaar! Lol I even have the Dethphone ringtone on my phone.

Needless to say, I love this show.
Minerva Topic Starter

I love Skwisgaar, too. I made comparisons of them as metal gods to certain god characters of mine and my husband, or more like, being complete inverse versions of them. Then their spirit guide episode came up and Skwisgaar, who I called anti-athena, was an owl. Pickles, who I considered akin to the anti-origin of the Kraken (Hades), was a squid. Toki, who I compared to anti-Loki, was a rabbit (a common shape I give my Loki). The only mixed ones were Murderface and Nathan, I would have put Nathan as the tiger myself but I see from Murderface's... murderface why he got tiger.

I'd love to have the character figures. <3
Love the show! and i have both Dethalbums as well.
I was interested because it said 'metal'

Now I'm totally lost.
Minerva Topic Starter

You fail, TBC. Metalocalypse is an animated TV show that plays on adult swim and is made of epic. Right now it's not on their schedule because the last season ended at the beginning of spring and they re-aired three seasons a few times. Now there's a pause before we see the new season which I THOUGHT we'd get with fall packaging but I haven't seen it advertised yet.

Anyone have any news on season four?
Ilmarinen Moderator

I love Metalocalypse. My favorite character is Ofdensen. The actual band members are great and all, but Ofdensen is so metal. That guy is twenty different flavors of bad motherlover. I started getting frustrated with the show, actually... I didn't like season 3 that much, and I want some answers, dangit!

(Speaking of AS, I think I'm going to watch China, IL. I'm a fan of Brad Neely's stuff, haha.)
... I haven't seen it, but when I saw this topic, I thought it had to do with a friend's character who has the same name. XD Maybe that's where he got it-- I never thought to ask...
I do'nt know adult swim either.

I'm not a murican so maybe that's why.
Minerva Topic Starter

Cartoon Network. Late night hours. Adult Swim. If you can't find it I think there's like an adultswim.com that you can find some on. Google could work wonders. I swear. It's some funny s[guitar-riff]t.

TBC, did you ever see the game, Brutal Legend? That's very similar to it, and the character from Brutal Legend actually shows up in one episode of Metalocalypse. They're kinda AUs of each other.

You can also look for their albums, the group name is Dethklok. It's some bizarre super-dark re-rendition of greek, norse, and other lore. Zeus is reputed to be the father of one, constant Odin references raise, but on the topic of Charles Foster Ofdensen, who is indeed truly metal,

I'm really entranced by CFO even more after season three. At first he was just their metal, undying manager. Then... the final episode paints something very mindblowing to anyone who studies mytho.
In the concert where they brought peace to the war in the middle east after proving themselves as true gods of metal in a concert seen 'round the globe,

The Beginning
We are the dark and the light
We have the power of time
We are the serpents intertwined
The galaxy will unite
this is the beginning.

This played at the culmination of CFO going through exhaustive levels of effort to keep the concert running in spite of conspiracies and the lyrics of the serpents and fighting powers rapidly flickered his visage between himself, and Selacia at the UN.

Powers dark and light. I really, really want to see what this band's fate in the apocalypse is supposed to be.

Season three is actually what SINCHED me as a fan of the show. S1 was all silly gags and miniepisodes. They clearly had an idea but not the resources to do it. By three I actually care about a story and seeing where the mystery goes.

Just who is Charles Foster Ofdensen? Did you realize his initials are ironic? Check his wiki, it explains it. I have a few ideas on it but I'm waiting to see. <3
Brütal Legend? Ofcourse, I'm a big fan of JB and hist stuff, I'm a big fan of metal and I'm a big fan of gaming, so that game was a no-brainer :p
Also Our Cartoon Network here is low quality dubbed shoarma.

I'llc heck it out
God I miss this show! I can't say that have the CDs but courtesy of a friend, I have lots of their songs on my iPod and iPhone. Couple of my favorites being The Cyborg Slayers, Burn the Earth, Murmaider, The Lost Vikings and Bloodlines. My favorite character has gotta be Ofdenson. Just because even though he is their manager, as stated earlier, by Dethklok standards, his is truely metal. He ain't afraid to do a little wet work. I ain't heard anything about a 4th season but I'm waiting for it. I hope it goes through cause I am so danger anxious to see what metal antics they cut loose with next.
Minerva Topic Starter

Apparently, metal's next season isn't slated to be aired until April 2012. Which is queer, because that's around when the last season ended. I guess S4 is really trying to line up with 2012's end of the world theory.
If I recall, Titmouse studio was moving some a few years ago. The pushing back of S4 may have had something to do with that. Or hopefully the animation quality and budget got some increasing and they're doing much more with it.

All I can say is I can'ts freakings waits.
Minerva Topic Starter

I dunno, S3 got a clear increase in their animation budget. At this point I find the shortcomings to be a charming part of the show's distinct style, honestly. I don't know if I would want too much more change.
As an animation major, my friends and I would laugh at the poor animation of the first season.. And it wasn't even that it was poor, it was just lazy. *remembers Toki's run sequences* Or even Ofdenson's roundhouse kicking... It was phenomenally silly looking :P So really, any increase in animation work was a good thing. I don't think it will ever be a fully animated show, but some movements they just don't try on.
Love this show :D I have the theme song as my ringtone right now XD I get some weird looks when it goes off in the store, because it's very, very loud XD I also keep the first 3 seasons on my phone, and my friend and I watch it when we're having to wait places and we're bored. It actually looks pretty decent on my iphone. When my friends and I go out for drinks someone almost always quotes Murderface from the first episode What'd you mean booze ain't food?! (We're all a little silly)

Last I read about season 4, some of the delays were because the guys that do all the voices and songs are an actual band and they were on tour. Can't wait for it to come back! :D I really want to see where they go with the actual plot, though it only seems that the first and last episodes in each season really have anything to do with plot, so I can see why some people get frustrated.
Minerva Topic Starter

You know there's really only like three voice actors for the whole band, Loki? The other positions in the band are like, how to put it... Like Trent is Nine Inch Nails. He's his whole band. 'Cept when he's on tour, cuz he can't play every instrument at once. Then people like Tool etc come in and play for him.

I don't know if I want it fully animated. It has its own charm and its own style at this point. Sometimes people forget what art is about. We get so studied, we become "masters". We know what low frame rate is, and it's bad. We know that the characters are stiff, and it's bad. We know that the shading is unrealistic, and it's bad. But somewhere in that education we lose the vision that some of the grandest painters we revere had; we forget that there can be beauty, style, or passion in simplicity, or in abstraction. We forget that the limitations can be stylized all on it's own and become outstanding. I wouldn't want to see Metal's animation become all flowing, and perfectly shaded.

That just... wouldn't be metal.

Hey, Loki, did I infect your friends with Metal, or did someone else infect you first?
Yeah I know, but they go on tour together. They were down here a couple years ago, there are videos of it up on youtube, decent quality, put up by funimation because they got free tickets lol.

As far as the art goes, I kind of like where it's at. It's better than the first season, but not too far from looking like it did when it started.

And my guy friends were already into it, had no idea I was getting my female friend hooked on it after hearing about it from you. Then they were all shocked when they found out. "this isn't a girl show!"

I said 'the hell it isn't, and it was a girl that showed it to me too, so there :p' now they just think it's pretty cool that we watch too xD

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Metalocalypse.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus