Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Grand Strategy; Political Intrigue (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

I've been working on a game for about two years now wherein players assume their place as the head of one of several countries. In this open role-play players are charged with securing their nation's future through war, famine, trade, pestilence, intrigue, and good old-fashioned diplomacy.

Each player is given a document which details their society and several maps which document explored areas, topography, trade routes etc. This is intended to be a long-term, slow-paced game with each turn taking a week real-time and representing three months in-game. During this time leaders who have established diplomatic relations can communicate freely with one another and set up trade agreements, plot against one another etc.

Your orders; the detailed step-by-step instructions that tell me what you want done, can be in any format though I prefer bullets. You can give me two pages of micromanagement, telling me exactly how you want to reform the tax code, or you can give me something like the following;

From Pharaoh of Kashan re: Emperor of Yuxi
"I received a further message from [The Emperor]. Therefore, I am pulling in as many advisers, priests, etc. As I can. I shall show them the decimated armies. I shall show them the awesome power. I shall let them know that any that doubted his divinity, or indeed, the power of my divine family, now knows what we are capable of. The Dragon of the East is my kin, and our allegiance will crush any who would attempt to harm us or our people. I will then dismiss them, letting those that shat themselves know where the nearest place to clean up is.

(Dragon of the East is what I'm calling him from now on, presumably its a nickname that will spread quickly amongst the men, maybe even to whatshernuts 'Chinese Boudica' woman whom [The Emperor] wants to bang.).

I also want to let my forces know that they are to stick around and mop up the remainder of Sheng's forces for a little while, but they are to gtfo as soon as that's done, since I told [the Principality of Teggarra] I would be in and out quickly and I want to keep that promise.

I'll then decide how these changes effect domestic and global affairs. In the case of the Pharaoh I decide how his 'cousin's' display of power effects public opinion of both he and the Emperor of Yuxi and what rippling effects this has in the political arena. A funny side note. The Emperor of Yuxi was working against the Pharaoh the entire time. His trust led to the destruction of his homeland and sacred monuments.

A Sampling of States
    Praeturan Merchant Republic
    The Khanate
    Holy Melillan Empire
    Imperial Yuxi
    The Song-Bird Confederacy
    L'République Celeçais

Each nation or tribe is based on several countries and cultures. Kashan, for instance, is culturally based on Egypt while it's military is taken from Persia. Goa is thoroughly Indian with all the religious and ethnic tensions that entails. Some nations are much, much harder than others. Yuxi and Goa, for instance, have the two highest populations and face constant internal and external fighting. I'd recommend you not play them unless you went to school for Foreign Relations and have a particular interest in counter-insurgency.
Count me in. Can't wait!
Can't wait to get in on your idea. Is there any way I could see a brief description of all the states?
This sounds awesome! I'm want in too!
SOUNDS LIKE FUN!
Humphrey_Appleby Topic Starter

Pantrane wrote:
Can't wait to get in on your idea. Is there any way I could see a brief description of all the states?

I'd rather not give out a list in order to help curtail meta-gaming. Certain nations are better for certain play-styles, anyway. What kind of game were looking to play? Do you want spies, diplomats, bureaucrats or warriors? Of course most states have a little of everything, but they all excel in different areas.
I'm thinking of diplomacy. Trading.. Negotiating for military aid.. Stuff like that.
Here's a question others may have.. What time frame does it start in roughly? Just for an idea of flavor.

Pantrane wrote:
Here's a question others may have.. What time frame does it start in roughly? Just for an idea of flavor.

There isn't really a time frame. Some civilizations are taken from antiquity and some are only a few hundred years old. For reference, however, gunpowder is hot shit.
Sounds good!

The Khanate, Holy Melillan Empire, Minsk Empire, Imperial Diet, and Vinland have been taken. Neat. All the major world powers gone. Not that the horsie-people are really a world 'power' per se, but there's no way your army's stopping them.

I have seven players. Great. On Sunday I'll send out emails with maps, stats and such and I'll give you a rundown on everything you as a nation know about your neighbors. Then I'll give you the state of the nation and leave all policy decision up to you.
hey I don't like giving out my Email can't you just PM me with all the info I need here at Rp Repository? in a PM?
He sent me a couple maps and a flag.. Not to mention a detailed spreadsheet that has so much info about the country. If anything, make a new email. Its worth it. I've played games like this in the past and its always through email.

But yeah, make a new one just for this game. It'll be worth it.
but what's wrong with the Rp Repository?
He can't send maps through PM. And most importantly, the spreadsheet.
Why not europe-map-editable.jpg
I want a republic with a strong military, kinda like the US, got any nations like that?
Artillery, did you get a nation yet? When I played a similar game, we went by real countries.. I joined late and got Ethiopia. I didn't have a strong military, but I formed alliances and contributed my little bit of soldiers to the big fight.. Which of course, war didn't happen in that game. But by forging alliances, even if you don't have the strongest military, you can still have an ACTIVE military. But maybe he does have some open.
Nope I didn't, didn't know where to choose one so decided to shoit it here, but I don't think we're using real countries, are we?

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Grand Strategy; Political Intrigue (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus