Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » So you want to be a Hero

Samantha Brooks (played by The_Ross)

Anyone can pick up a sword, put on a brooding face, and start wandering the countryside, looking for a fight in the hopes that someone will be glad that someone else is in the ground. Murderers, assassins, mercenaries, bums - they're called many things.

But they are not called Adventurers.

When you signed that contract, you all made a commitment that fewer than two percent of your fellow lizards ever have. A commitment to hold yourselves to a higher standard. To do what is right, even when no one is looking. Even when you might not want to.

Today, you are Adventurers in the greatest guild in the history of Gloriana.

Six months had passed since that day, but the words rang fresh in Samantha's mind. She had not been at all patriotic before basic training, yet she had wept openly during the national anthem at the capping ceremony after the final 40 hour test, and graduation day had been the happiest and proudest of her life. That had been followed by a three week fighter training school at a separate command.

She had been deployed soon after shipping to her first permanent command. She was stationed on the SS Jacobin, a small troop transport airship, which was en route to the city of Spielburg for a routine curse investigation and missing persons recovery. General quarters was sounded, and seconds later a massive explosion rocked the ship. The captain had ordered them to grab what they could and abandon ship.

She was already at her locker, preparing to relieve the roving watch. She grabbed all of her gear - duffel bag, backpack, garment bag - and a parachute.

They were over a mountain range, which meant they had almost reached their destination. Looking out of the evac bay, she could see strange projectiles flying up from the ground, seeming to originate from many points at once. She watched several of her shipmates perish in fire and lightning as she leapt to what, to her, seemed like certain doom.

Not wizards. Sorcerors, was the last thought she could recall being conscious of. Now all she knew was that she was cold, alone, and lost, with barely a week of food and water on her, in the middle of a bunch of barren sunforsaken mountains, and most of her friends were probably dead or captured by whoever had shot them down. She was uninjured except for minor bruising. She'd deployed her parachute at the right time, and the heavy duffel bag full of clothing on her back had turned her during her descent so that she had landed on it instead of the rocky ground.

Samantha detached her chute and got to her feet. She slipped off her back and duffel bag, breathing a sigh of relief. Her first thought was to get out her canteen, compass, and signaling mirror. She chugged half a liter immediately, then found north. They'd come up from the south, so in theory, Spielburg shouls be in that direction, just west of the mountains.

Unless I overshot, or the wind caught me, or the ship was sent off course, or who knows what. I was out for half the drop.

Sam decided to put the mission on hold for now and focus on survival. At this altitude, in this terrain, staying warm and fed would not be easy. She unzipped her backpack and removed her folded up parka and liner. She zipped the latter into the former and put it on, zipped it all the way up, tightened the sleeves, put the hood up, got out her gloves and put those on, then got her heavy peacoat out of her duffel bag and put that on over everything else. Her upper body was now toasty and dry, but her legs and feet were still only protected by the camo of her Adventurer's Working Uniform, a pair of shorts, a pair of socks, and her boots. The material was thick enough to protect against the occasional mishap, but it was not designed for prolonged exposure to cold temperatures.

She restowed her gear and put her luggage back on, then started downhill. With no real idea of where she was, and no sign of fresh water, civilization, her ship, or her shipmates in sight, it was the only reasonable course of action. She kmew that she would see smoke soon if any of the crew had survived, and avoided capture. It would be at least a week before her command would be able to organize a search and rescue party, and she did not have high hopes for their chances if the situation remained as it was. She was effectively on her own.
Samantha Brooks (played by The_Ross) Topic Starter

​{I won't be able to edit her page until Wednesday, so I'm working on her history instead, which has been long overdue. I decided to make it more interesting by making it interactive.

Absolutely any character is welcome. I must warn though, that supernatural or other extremely powerful characters won't be fun to play in this setting. I have no principles against powerful characters - this rule exists to preserve your own enjoyment.

​Pre existing races - you can be whatever you want (there are no lizard people in canon, for example), but if you decide to play a pre-existing race, you might want to be aware of the basics.

​Humans : some are cool, some are dicks. Just like in real life!

Silmarians : lizard people. A lot like people, except, you know, lizards.

​Wizards/sorcerors (not a race) : there is no difference between these in terms of mechanics - rather, sorceror is an insult used to designate someone who uses magic for wicked or selfish purposes. Usually not to their face, and behind a substantial barrier. (You are welcome to use whatever type of magic you want, and whatever type of resource system you want.)

​Centaurs : exactly like what you would expect, two arms, four legs, dude up top, horse on bottom. They are sapient, and live and work side by side with humans. They are mostly found in northern climates. Their economy is strongly agricultural.

​Liontaurs : like centaurs, except they have the head of a lion as well as the lower body. They are a Proud and Noble Warrior Race, and their capital is located on the continent of Taarna, close to the equator.

Cheetaurs : they also have a beast head. These guys are full-on beast mode, with no language, intelligence or civilization. Some people think they're related to liontaurs in the same way chimps are related to people. They are dwindling in numbers, but are quite dangerous to an inexperienced adventurer.

Fairies : classical. Tiny sprites that only come out at night and look like floating lights. Don't step in their mushroom circles.

Katta : Small cat people, averaging four feet tall, mostly merchants. They can be found in the city of Shapier mostly, which is a couple of countries over from Taarna. You don't have to be a Katta to be a cat person.

Anoobians : Dog people. These are extremely rare, usually found in large cities hawking useless junk on the street.

Vampires : the super secretive kind. I'd advise you not to play one for now to preserve the setting integrity, but people who want to will get the chance eventually.

Werewolves : super secretive romanian gypsies. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Also, these guys aren't dicks like the vampires. Again, it's probably best to stay away from both for everyone involved, they work best as npcs.

Leopardmen : another shapeshifter race, except they're super secretive magic users who shift with a ritual dance instead of at night. They live in secret cities in ancient ruins deep within fetid jungles.

Meeps : happy little meeps living in their happy little holes. It's all good, you know? (Npc only)

Miscellaneous : these include the various non-sapient and barely-sapient monsters you're likely to run across. I'll describe them when you meet them.

Remember, this is just for people who are thinking about making a new character. If you've got one already, just run it by me, post or pm. Unlikely to reject anything.}

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » So you want to be a Hero

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus