Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Dragon Ball Z Kai

Well...I found myself watching the remake of DBZ known simply as DBZ Kai... And well I got to thinking. Why am I'm watching this again? Oh yeah...cause I liked DBZ itself. I remember when it first started all the previews would be like 'Next on a new episode of Dragon Nall Z kai' and I'd just shake my head and mutter 'Thats not new. I seen that episode back in high school' which has been about 10 years for me. Needless to say though I've been watching it, I'm not too fond of it since they cut so much stuff out. I mean come on! What happened to Nappa and Vegeta's pit stop at and destruction of the planet Arlia on their way to Earth? Basically I'm curious as to what other peoples opinions are on this matter of old DBZ va *coughs* new DBZ. What do you guys think?
I have always LIKED the filler parts of DBZ, so I never even gave Kai a try. COME ON. Who wouldn't want to see things like Piccolo and Goku getting their drivers licenses? I'm not sure if that particular part was cut, but I assumed it would be.
Hurricane_Lance Topic Starter

Yeah I think it was. But it was friggin hilarious. Especially when they wound up racing each other. But it's not just filler stuff they cut. They made fights shorter and all kinds of crap. Like Goku and Vegeta's classic Gallick Gun/Kamehameha show down. In the original that lasted like what? 5 episodes. In Kai it lasts all of 5 minutes.
Taciturn

boop.
Dragonfire Moderator

Shorter? So you mean there are no longer episodes where everyone is just standing around charging?

I can swear I remember that happening more than once in the original DBZ. :P

While it is true that it was only supposed to last until frieza, which also explains how some of the movies would seem off time line wise, Kai is still not on par as it goes up through the Cell Games and such. Ain't seen any hints of Majin Buu yet so they may have cut him out. But then again, they haven't actually got to the cell games yet. Cell has recently just become 'perfect' and laid out vegetal and trunks is about to have a go at him. And yes Dragon. This also means less senseless charge up times. Heh. That I do actually like. It gets annoying hearing Krillin constantly screaming after awhile. Heh.
Minerva

DBZ Kai got me to actually watch the show all the way through the series. The writing and presentation of the original series was just abysmal to me. My husband got offended at some of the things that were cut out, but when it comes down to it, I managed to actually watch the series. Before that, all I could ever stomach of DBZ was turning it on at 7 AM before heading to school just to have some noise in the house.

Kai made me... like... watch it.
I don't know, they made DBZ Kai a bit too... dramatic. There's more talking than there is action, and that's what kinda lured me back then. >.>; But, like, I'd still watch it, because that's a favorite show of mine. Just that I wouldn't fawn over it. xD
I'm probably not the best candidate to talk, since I only seen most of the Frieza saga, but that was it.
Despite that, Dragonball is still the best. ;x
Taciturn

boop.

Update: well I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was unsure as to if they were gonna cut out Majin Buu from DBZ Kai. Well I just got my confirmation. They are cutting out the Buu saga. Instead their gonna jump straight into DBGT currently slated, according to the commercials, to start January 16th. But at least their not changing it's name. I may actually watch it faithfully though as I haven't seen the entirety of GT yet. Guess we'll see what happens. And I better see Baby then Super 17 then the shadow dragons. Heh. All of this dragon ball talk is inspiring me to make a dragon ball character.
I love DBZ to DEATHHHH - Andryn can attest to this - but watching DBZ for plot is like using a ps3 to do your taxes while cleaning up your bird cage at the same time. I like DBZ:K because I liked DBZ and all of it's other re-releases, but I think we've finally reached the "Enough is enough, guys..." point. I like the musical score of Kai, I like the redone animation, and I like how they cut out the filler. I personally watched ALL of DBZ and ALL of DBGT (Protip: DBGT is a complete failure to me), and it's entire purpose is... aliens doing pimp kung-fu moves.

The original Dragon Ball, however, is MUCH more solid as an anime - in MY opinion. It was light-hearted, had an excellent, a metric ass-ton more ROSHIIII, and wasn't just FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT RAH RAH RAH! THE NEXT LEVEL OF SUPAH SAIYANNNN!!?!??!?!?!!? HOLY [radio edit]!!!!!1111OSIhgjsdk

Again, this is all just me.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Dragon Ball Z Kai

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus