Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Remove group name?

HwoThumb

I just started a new RP group, Serik, and the banner I created for it has the group name on it. However, the group name automatically placed by the editor puts it in a really awkward place. Is there any way to remove the group name? The only thing I can think to do is just make it the same color as the background, which means there's a whole in the starfield in the shape of the letters that looks just plain hideous.

Anyone know how to fix this? (Link to group in question)
Kim Site Admin

You can choose to make the title centered or to the left, but it's not removable. The usual solution is indeed to make the name the same color as the background, usually designing the banner to have a solid color in whatever location the name will be.
HwoThumb Topic Starter

I see. That's too bad. :(

I'll work around it, but is there any chance of getting this fixed in the future? I know the group features are still in development, and that's something I'd like to see.
Kim Site Admin

Although I may add more positions for the title to be in, I'm not sure I will ever allow for the name to be completely removed via official means.

I know a lot of banner designers really want this feature, and I get it from an aesthetic perspective. From a usability perspective, I have serious concerns about name confusion, wherein the name on the banner is not the "official" name of the group -- with two groups with similar names, I can foresee whole ranges of shenanigans occuring, so I'm trying to make removing the name a little difficult.

However, as Epic features for groups start to roll out, those with some CSS knowledge will be able to bypass my attempts to make hiding the "official" name annoying to do.
I hope I'm not sounding argumentative, Kim, but as someone who would one day love to be able to nix group names from the banner area, I'm not sure if we'd have such a worry with people doing name shenanigans here.

I've been a member of quite a few groups that have hidden their names away by matching them up to the background, and in only one case I've seen, the group name didn't match up 100% with what was input to the editor. In that one case, the reason is probably pretty obvious! Otherwise the banners have matched up very well with their names:

If this is a legitimate worry for you though, though I honestly can't see why (wouldn't eerily similar names + confusion, outside of fandom groups, be under threat of some form of plagarism? I'd cock a brow at multiple Rayneths, or New Versallieses, but I'd hardly bat an eye at multiple Marvel groups with some form of 'Marvel' in their name or some such), perhaps we could make it a rule that the banner has to match its group name, as is the case of the ones I've linked?

You are on: Forums » Help » Remove group name?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus