Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Dungeon Crawl 101; One on One

Dadj Avers (played by f0x1nth3b0x) Topic Starter

Dadj watched her curiously as she put the obviously cursed jewelry into her bag. Then, with a shrug he turned to find an exit. He hopped down to the floor of the room and waded through the corpse pieces. Like a child walking through puddles, he kicked his feet out as he went, causing a morbid rain of zombie chunks. His lips pulled in a sinister grin which curled at the corners; possibly he was smiling in the most genuine way he could remember. When he was done amusing himself and consequently moved across the room, he continued to search for the next room.

No luck in the alcoves under the catwalks, so he ran back up the stairs to look along the walks. Lyrra was doing her own search elsewhere in the room. He searched in a linear pattern from right to left and when the paths yielded no answers he began to frown in frustration. Punching a wall, he leaned back to survey the room. What was its function, anyhow? Was it really just a graveyard within a mountain?

With increasing annoyance, the Ranger struck out at one of the carved pieces that decorated the caskets. It looked something like an archaic idea of a hound or other canine. The beast’s head lolled back and then broke. It rolled off the casket, to the floor of the catwalk and then into the chasm at the bottom of the room. It made a loud thud and a few moments later the room shuddered.

Dust clouds rolled off the walls as they shook and clogged Dadj’s throat. Through his fits of coughing, he could see the far wall moving.
Lyrra (played by Nefferduat)

As Lyrra looked about she decided to ignore his morbid romp. She had friends with stranger habits, still she felt no need to join him and get her boots dirty- well, dirtier than they already were. There seemed to be nothing of particular intererest- and defiently nothing of any kind of shine or sparkle. This was disapointing because if she was going to be trapped in a undead filled tomb with a touchy- yet amusing, immortal ranger she wanted more that cursed gold out of it.

She picked up a rather flat rock and on it was a run carved in and painted in red. The rune wasn't familer to her, but it could prove useful in getting out of hear, she slipped the stone in to her bag, it was only the size of her hand so it posed no problems. She was about to collect Dadj and set out a corse of action, they couldn't just mess around all day, when dust stired and the room started to get a little bit smaller every momeny.
"Oh bugger!" She cursed, standing up and sprinting over to Dadj, she looked at the closing walls, above them, below them, and cursed again. Between coughs she asked,
"Any clue on how to fix this one?"

The Ranger was not done choking when Lyrra addressed him. It would be several seconds before he was. The dust and grime of years clogged his throat and caused his eyes to water. When he was through, he wiped the tears away to be sure he was seeing the wall movement correctly: Yes, they were closing in on them. And No, he had no ideas as to how to stop that.

The wall’s movement was not swift, but closer to a teasing crawl. They obvious had time to react, but not much. Dadj watched as the walls met with caskets and carvings, pushing them until they broke from their foundations and crumbled. He briefly entertained the scenario of his body being crushed evenly between the two walls when they met. How would be live through that one? Obviously he would, but would he be aware of himself? Or would be simply stay there in a stasis until the walls parted and he was able to somehow reform…

Lyrra’s impatiently tapping foot brought him out of his amused stupor and the smile cleared from his face. He turned to her and crossed his arms in irritation. It was not often that he did not know what to do and it certainly didn’t please him.

“I do not know, Elf. I do not know how I set them in motion to begin with. It was apparently some well-hidden trigger.” He pointed out the primitive dog carving, sans its head. “That’s what caused it, I believe.”

He looked around them. There were many other carvings on the walls and caskets, but none that resembled the first he had defiled. He settled for all of them and haphazardly ran about smashing the heads off of them.

“It stands to reason that if a statue’s being disturbed started this, another’s disturbance might put an end to it,” he yelled at her between his senseless destruction of undoubtedly priceless artifacts.

Lyrra looked around, seeing if there was a trip wire, a button or rune that stood out. She did not want to be smushed between to large rocks never to be found- with out her hoard of shiney things. No one could apriciate them if they were in Bills saddle bags and she didn't get to drag them to the afterlife with her. So she thought about it and went over to the statue, looking it over quickly.

There was a small presure plate under some of the rock. She tried to push it, but it was awkward to reatch. She took out on arrow and shoved it through the small crack from where the stone had be dislodged- the walls came to an almost imediate halt, thowing up more dust. She smiled at Dadj, but there was a shaky look in her eyes- that was closer than she would have liked.
"So, problem solved short-term. We have to new problems though, this- and look." She nodded at the door way to the next room, it was half coverd by the wall. "Your turn to save us."

{{Like a tabletopper, I rolled for this. (D20)16+14(skillmod)=30. I think I made the DC. Also sorry about the shite replys.}}

Dadj frowned; he had grown a sick habit of trying to find out what might actually end his line of consciousness. He was intrigued by being crushed to “death”. However, that opportunity seemed to be out of his reach and the fact that his companion may have been shaken by the circumstance completely eluded him.

He looked to the half covered door silently and his frown deepened. Not only was he not going to be crushed, but he now had to figure out how to continue on in the dungeon while stewing in the very same room that should have crushed him! Somewhere in his deep subconscious he realized how morbid that thought was and how odd it was to have it, but he dismissed it as he went about figuring their next move. The Elf had so kindly tagged him in to puzzle out this road block.

Of course, he took the most obvious method: Walk up to the door and push. The wall was blocking the exit, but not so much that Dadj couldn’t fit his body through… Provided the door would open. Granted that scenario would only play out if the door opened into the next room. It, as a matter of fact, did not. It was meant to swing into the room they currently occupied. And the wall just prevented that from happening. So Dadj took up his next method. Could the door be broken in?

He wasn’t sure he knew what the door was made of. It could be stone, or it was a wood so old it now resembled stone. He tried to kick it, then to stab it and then to rush it shoulder first. He was only met with another rain of dirt and more than likely a sore shoulder he couldn’t feel. He glared at the door in frustration and growing unease of being stuck in this smaller room for a long time. All thoughts of trying death by crushing vanished as the feeling of being closed in crept over his brain, lacing it with cold tendrils.

“Alright, this is making me extremely angry. Please tell me you have some sort of explosive or magic that might utterly destroy this vexing, petrified excuse of a door?” The Ranger's face was flushed due to being thwarted.

{{I am very very very very very very very very sorry. And I suck. And I would understand if you don't want to continue. Imma going to post anyway- and HOPE. Hooooooooope.}}

Lyrra looked at the door, tapping at it lightly. It wasn't to dence, there for Alchemists Fire might actualy work. She liked to keep some on her, incase she game upon a blasted troll she needed to, well- blast. She was reluctent to use it, however, in the fear that it might be more useful later on. Circumstances seemed dire though, and Lyrra was not interested in sitting in this room for the rest of her, what would be considerably shorter, life with an angsty, pouty ranger. It was decided quite quickly to use one of her two flasks.

She pulled out the flask. It was round, decorated in ridges and curves with a matching glass cork. Inside the magical alchemic concoction swirled and shifted about like a living fire.
"I would step back." Lyrra suggested, "You may servive the blast, but I doubt your pants will." She slid in behind a pile of rubble and coffins and threw the flask as hard as she could. When it made contact with the door, it exploded with a deffening crash. When the smoke and debrey had cleared, Lyrra looked up to see a whole where the door was.
"Hey look, a way out." She grinned, standing and dusting herself off.

The ranger had just hidden himself enough to avoid wardrobe damage, but he wanted to watch the blasted thing... well, get blasted. His hair was blown out of his face and a satisfied grin grew across his face with the final destruction of the door. He stood and ran a hand through his mane to shake out the soot, all the while smiling. His face had a slight gray dusting from the explosion and he almost skipped through the flaming remains of the exit.

The next room was entirely dark. The grin that was going to be a permanent fixture drooped off his face then. "You have low-light vision, right?" He turned to her as she approached the door.

Lyrra nodded and ducked through the doorway. The room had a low ceiling, moss covored the walls and the floor was rocky, like a natural cavern. Curious, she pulled off some of the moss, and saw the slight hint of metal underneith. She pulled off more and discovered the entirety of the walls was guelded silver, though very tarnished. She traced some of the images with a finger, it left an oily residue. She peered down the cavern, it was longer than her vision allowed.
"The walls are silver and engraved under all the moss. I can't read these words though, the language is strange to me." Lyrra told Dadj. She tried to find words she recognised within the ancient human writing, but she was so bad at it normaly that there was nothing for her to figure out.
"Extre-RAho recondo nos sententia suuuuuumo quod pro nostrum su-per-bi-a nos did persol...vo." She struggled out, hoping Dadj would know what it meant.

{{I used a latin translator. "A extraho recondo nos sententia sumo quod pro nostrum superbia nos did persolvo." Was the origonal.}}

It was likely Dadj had lived through or at least known the language in his long life time. He leaned back on his heels as he thought, it was hard to translate things without being able to see the exact wording as well as spelling. He was able to narrow the language down to two at least. One being the original and the other being a poorman's version; almost a bastardization of the original. He opted to go the high route and figure it's meaning with the smarter user involved.

"It's something of a confession, I think. If I have the language correct, after some word re-ordering, it says something like: 'A dragons hoard we did take and now for our pride we are cursed.' Unless its the lesser version of the language and then it says something about your mother, a pig and a brothel. Your mother didn't work in a brothel did she?" He smirked in the dark, just for her. "It is not a surprise then, that the gold is cursed and we could not touch it." He tried again to look about the room, the flames of the explosion had died quickly and they offered nothing to work with now. Squinting, the Ranger tried everything to gain some sort of glimpse into the room.

Lyrra rolled her eyes and stuck out his tongue at him.
"She was the tip earner." She teased back, figuring that when dealing with eternal smart-asses you needed to smart-ass back. It was like wolves showing who was alpha, only there was only two of them and they had the common courtesy not to bite each other. For this Lyrra was grateful . She looked at the words again.
"So, the gold in the caskets was cursed, but this silver isn't. I do wonder where the dragon is though, I don't see it giving up it's hoard with out a fight." Lyrra looked back at Dadj. She knew he couldn't see her, so she made a funny face, for her own personal amusement you understand.

She looked back at the wall. Everything on both sides were covered in the moss, how much more silver was under it? How much more of the story? They needed a torch, as Lyrra was not interested in butchering an ancient language as Dadj attempted to translate. She looked back at the door, there were some pretty large splinters. They wouldn't last long, but they might provide him enough light to see what was going on. She picked one up and lit it with one of the smaller remaining fires from the blast. She passed it to Dadj,

"We aren't out of this yet, come on."

"Get out of my thoughts, Elf. I was just wondering where our Draconic host might be hiding. Irony would state that the lizard is somewhere nearby." He still tried to look about him futilely as she lit the stick. He was glad; he wouldn't have to find his way through in the dark, nor hold onto the elf. He took the burning stick gingerly as it didn't look as if it was going to last long and he didn't want to further burn his affects.

He placed it as close to the moss covered walls and tried to discern more words from the cleared area. "These people must have been here for a rather long time before dying. And then undying. They wrote so much about their plight... And ultimately started to ramble." He had made his way around the room and left large patches of wiped silver in his wake. He pointed to the first on he read and then to the next as he spoke. "Stole the Dragon's treasure. Cursed. Locked in this tomb. Dying. Blah blah blah, I stopped caring."

"Don't tempt fate." She told him, studying the pictures. She tried to pick off some of the sliver, but there was nothing she could do to get it off, it was able to withstand her attepting to chip at it with her dagger. It was magic silver that wouldn't come off the wall. She was incorrect, maybe the silver was the dragons. It was starting to seem as though anything worth taking was proving to be, if not impossible, hight difficult to remove. Was that the dragon or the now dead humans? Lyrra had not wonder and continued to look for a crack or a welding point or some weekness in the silver. There was not a single imperfection to be found.

"Humans tend to." She muttered, then turned to face him, "Hey, what if the humnans didn't build this tomb? Its a little more problematic than human architects would likely bother to create. And why would they waste their time creating all this? This must have taken years of skills workers."

"I wouldn't be surprised if this was built by dwarves and taken by the dragon." He shrugged as he paced about the room, reading more snippets of story. He was frowning as it seemed that the two of them would never be leaving this dungeon. Not any time soon, at least. He plopped himself on the ground and rested his elbow on his knee, chin in his hand.

"Seems to me that this place was either built or stolen by the dragon. Then when these idiot corpses tried to steal it's horde the dragon obviously killed them. Maybe they've been cursed to guard it from anyone else?"

He shrugged. "At least, that's my take on it." He yawned lazily. As he was reviewing the information in his head, a rumble moved the ground beneath them. His head shot up. "What was that?"

"I- I don't know." She sighed, walking along the wall, tapping at it. She was searching for something, a crack or anything that would give way to another doorway. She swore loudly, the sound echoing through the halls, reverberating off the cleared silver, but damped by what moss was left further down the hall. She slumped down next to Dadj, sighing loudly.
"Do you think the dragon would be up for diplomacy? Maybe bargaining..." She thought out loud. She ran through all the gems she owned, trying to guess how many she may have to give up to preserve her life. She hated having to give up shiny things.

She didn't move for a long time after pulling her knees up and resting her arms on them. She drummed her fingers impatiently, trying to think of some solution that didn't involve having to actually confront the big scaly beast. Finally she sighed,
"When we get out of hear, I'm going to stay in the city. Maybe Salisford, there aren't zombie filled caves in Salisford." And buried her face in her arms.

"When we get out of here," which Dadj wasn't sure was ever going to happen, "I am staying away from little elves and bar fights. They ruin my mood." The rumbling had ceased for the time being, but it seemed it only moved further from them instead of stopping entirely. He thought about what might happen if they were found by the dragon. He could try all he might, but it was not guaranteed he would win against it. He was certainly not looking forward to being eaten; as it was likely that he would be swallowed whole. And therefore after the initial burn of draconic stomach acid he would continually wake up from his body's trauma to find himself trapped there, regenerating in acid.

Or he would be released in a most unpleasant way, opposite the side of the dragon that he entered. This was not exactly a preferred outcome.

"What do we do if the dragon does rear its undoubtedly-full-of-razor-sharp-fangs-head?" He looked at her over his own knees, the Ranger was tough but he hated closed spaces almost as much as zombies.

Lyrra turned her head, still resting it on her knees and suck out her tongue with the most undignifide,
"Neah!" Then she relaxed her scrunched up face and let out a long sigh, her eyes dancing around the room, another futile sweep for something, anything she might have missed. Just shiny walls and moss, same as before. She pulled herself up to her feet and stretched. She felt a bit of fatugue in her bones, it had been a long day, and thus far a longer night. With out the sky she wasn't actualy sure what time it was.

"Uh," Lyrra turned to face Dadj, biting her lip, "I dunno. Maybe kill it, maybe run. Depends how close we are to the exit. Assuming there is as exit. Still, I'd rather not be dragon-chow."

His fingers drummed on his knees impatiently. They sat in silence for long moments after Lyrra's confession about not wanting to be dragon chow. Sleep held no interest for him, he just wanted to get out of this dark closed space. He got to his feet and circled the room, rubbing all the moss off the walls to see what else he could find under them. After, he kicked the piles of moss around on the floor in anger.

"This is pointless! We're going to be stuck in here until you die and I get to live with your corpse! OR the dragon is going to find us, eat us and that will be even worse!" He kicked the moss at a nearby wall and crossed his arms.

"At least it will be a pretty corpse." Lyrra sighed and stood up. She adjusted her swords on her hip, drew her bow, knocked an arrow and turned to face Dadj. She didn't point the arrow at him, that would be pointless and foolish all at once, instead the tip was pointed down at the ground.
"We have two options as I see it. We can sit around here, whining till I die. Or, we can just keep going down the hall and see what’s there. Who knows," She grinned, "Maybe there'll be treasure. Now, if you want to sit here that’s fine, but I'm going." And with that she turned sharply on her heel and started down the hall at a cautious, yet brisk walk. She wasn’t sure if the ranger was coming, she hoped so because Lyrra knew she had no chance of killing any dragon on her own. However, she had managed to live long enough that she wasn’t going to resign herself to a slow death.

No, he did not want to stay there. He had just not known why they had not advanced sooner. He got to his feet and followed the elf. he wasn't sure what she was implying by knocking her bow right in front of him, but she didn't seem to intend it for him. The hallway was dark and he wasn't entirely sure of where he was going, but he tried to stay as close to the elf as possible; even if that meant her was hovering in an uncomfortable distance from her backside...

"Where are we heading? Can you tell our surroundings?"

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Dungeon Crawl 101; One on One

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus