Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Correspondence! Or, a Dramatic Tale of (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

Gentle Reader,

I swear on life and limb that every word I am about to recount is true. I only pray you can find forgiveness in your heart for the abrupt and untoward manner with which I make my plea. You see, of late I have been beset by unwholesome urges the manner of which I dare not utter in polite company. This urge that drives me on- this demonic compulsion that ever haunts my dreams has found no safe purchase nor release. Be patient with me, dear reader, for this is a matter of the heart. I wish to do a mail RP, one in which our characters never meet and never met, though they were ever of one heart and soul...

Correspondence! Or, a Dramatic Tale of Letters is a game where our characters write back and forth- without ever meeting. It's set somewhere in a fantasy-version of mid- 1800s, a time of great expectations and greater affectations. It can, if you so desire, be steampunk. Our characters are pen-pals, and though they may be well off or not (It is up to you), their lives are rather droll. Instead, they write stories to each other, of their day-to-day lives. They won't be writing about their dirt-farming operation or the price of tea in China, though.

You see, Correspondence! Or, a Dramatic Tale of Letters is a game of lies and one-upsmanship. Because their lives are so boring, most of what they tell will be a complete fabrication, much like something from the penny-dreadfuls. Our stories will start tame and gradually one-up each other.

To sum things up, I-the-player will be playing as a character pretending to be another character sending mail to the character your character that you are playing is pretending to be, who will then respond! All this in as overblown a Victorian affect as you can manage.

Proper spelling and grammar a must. Exceptional spelling and grammar a plus. Because postage isn't cheap, posts will have to come with multiple paragraphs, and because this is a letter RP, there will probably be a greater than average number of paragraphs. I don't know how well I explained all this! And I haven't done anything like this before, either. If you have any questions, please do ask.
Magic 40%
Magic is rare. Some of the players might have it. There may be sages or other magical figures that could be sought out for tutelage.
Technology 40%
Industrial revolution
Combat 30%
Distant war may be part of the setting, but any scenes that happen to involve combat will likely be summarized, not played out in detail.

Details: Freeform, paragraphs required, one-off scene.

This sounds really fun! I'd love to give it a try
Kim Site Admin

This is a really interesting idea!
I'd love to give it a try as well if you're open to it still!
obol Topic Starter

After some nail-biting deliberation, I think I'm going to grab the person who PMed me.

... Yup. Sorry, peeps!

I'm not a particularly special person to play with, though, so if you two want to run the same scenario (Or with any alterations! Up to you.), I don't think my absence should change things overly much. And I wouldn't mind one bit- honest.

To Kim: Thank you! I'm a big fan of your work.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Correspondence! Or, a Dramatic Tale of (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus