Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Image scaling?

I'm not sure if we can already do this with bbcode - we probably can and I'm just being derp, per usual - but it would be a dandy if we could scale images we want to post, but are far too big, like a high res picture of a character, or a vector of some sort. What would be ideal (in my eyes) would be something like [img size=x]where 'x' equals a percentile or maybe size=.1-1, where 1 is full size, and .1 is scaled to 1/10th, or something. If we already have this, feel free to ignore this or erase this topic or VHATEVAR. I'm just used to having to save an image, scale it down in photoshop, upload it on photobucket, get the direct url for the image, and THEN post it up in a decent size. Also, you go girl.[/img]
Jello_Monsta

Jello_Monsta

*I think
Jello_Monsta

Jello_Monsta wrote:
*I think

might be a length and width in there sort of deal
Sanne Moderator

We don't have this yet! But, everywhere in RPR the code is made so when you post an image with the img tag, it automatically resizes to fit the screen.

I'm on a tiny 1024*600 resolution on my netbook, and if you post a picture of 1600*something, it will be made smaller to fit my screen no matter what!
Kim Site Admin

Nope, we don't have this yet. I'm hesitant about adding it because scaling down truly oversized images is SUPPOSED to be unsupported. Uploading a hi-res photo and then expecting to just scale it back with a BBCode is very anti-social behavior. It takes up extra space on the server, uses extra bandwidth, and takes far longer for everyone viewing it to download it. Scaling it with BBCode wouldn't do anything to reduce the actual size of the image, it'd just make it display smaller. Whereas the process you go through now with scaling it in photoshop will truly shave megabytes out of the image.
Bonebag Topic Starter

Gregory wrote:
I'm on a tiny 1024*600 resolution on my netbook, and if you post a picture of 1600*something, it will be made smaller to fit my screen no matter what!
This is actually what I wanted to know. I don't plan on linking any images that are preposterously huge, but sometimes there are the random jpg's you want to pawn around in the random chat or something that are within 'good' file size limits but fall into the 'It's HOW big?' resolution category.
Kim wrote:
Whereas the process you go through now with scaling it in photoshop will truly shave megabytes out of the image.
*Now feels like a LAST LEVEL BOSS.*
Kim Site Admin

I should amend; It's automatically scaled to fit browsers that aren't IE. IE refuses to do it without a whole lot more code written just for its stubborn self.

This might have been fixed in IE9. I'm not quite sure yet.
Bonebag Topic Starter

IE is still a browser? I thought people had moved on from such an archaic thing by now. /burn

Edit: Since I technically posted this on a new day, your daily You go, girl! just arrived.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Image scaling?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus