Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Flickering flame of hope.

Lia Rossi di Alba (played by Periquito_Drone)

Once Lia caught sight of the commotion she tensed. Seeing the women and children and elderly be rejected just like that made her slightly angry, yet wary.

She tried to compose herself the best she could as to not make much of a scene while she approached one of the guards that were questioning the young man in slightly impressive attire, glancing at them with her natural cold stare before crossing her arms, she walked over to one of the other guards closely by, now assuming that this would be the only way to enter the place, "what would you like for me to show you in order to enter the facility?" She asked, uncrossing her arms as she goes to open her satchel.
Jerard the Steadfast wrote:
It has been two years since anyone has seen anywhere not littered without either corpses or the unliving. All those who have survived thus far have retreated to castles, forts and other places which the previous lords called home. A few communities have even managed to thrive under these conditions, securing farmlands and creating a year round crop. However, the dead still walk, and someone is leading them. News is brought to your stronghold every few days from different refugees that had managed to escape the massacres of their towns and villages. Tales of horror and sorrow, and of the ever-increasing number of ghouls and undead. It would be foolish to think that your home wouldn't be attacked eventually.

There is unrest inside the home that you and your fellows have made for yourselves. Some of the men and hot-headed youths believe that they should stop hiding and go out to take the fight to the dead, and put them back in their graves. Others suggest that it would be wisest to wait things out and defend the walls, and keep the undead out rather than risk leaving the safety of the walls. A third group suggests evacuating the castle and fleeing to the mountains, where the cold could stop the undead in their tracks. All three groups argue with one another at the daily town meetings, and tempers are rising to a boiling point.

Will you be able to survive the resulting chaos as the three factions fight amongst themselves with the dead all around them? or will you too join the mindless legions that threaten to extinguish the last flames of hope?

ruins001_DMMap.jpg

(Note, this is the town wherin this shall be taking place, although there are certainly other areas for the heroes and heroines to explore!)

Building # 17 seems to have been an inn when this all began, and is currently where the majority of the population resides, sleeping on straw mats on the floor near the hearth, with the women, children and elderly sleeping upstairs in the rooms.

Building # 24 has been converted into the town’s healer’s center, where the wounded are both treated and sleep there during the night. The cabinets are filled with bandages and weak healing potions, and from the ceiling various herbs are hung to dry for the making of poultices and tinctures.

Building # 27 was the town’s church, and still is, however the building has begun to fall into neglect and many of the walls are begging to crumble, many of the stain glass windows from up above which used to bathe the room in a rainbow of color are shattered and cracked. Many of the town still walks here in the morning to pray that the undead do not find them, or to have the strength to fight them off when they inevitably do find them.

Building #22/23 is the town’s blacksmith and armorer respectively. Here both tools and weapons are made on a regular basis. Due to not having any new metal coming in it has become common practice to smelt down any old or broken items, and to salvage any scrap of metal that is not in use or need by anyone. While this results in the quality of the metal being random at times, few complaints are made unless the tool or weapon/armor in question constantly needs to be fixed.

Building # 30 is the towns current storage building, where everything from tools and weapons to sacks of grain and apples are stored.

Building # 39 Used to be the towns mausoleum, which is rather ironic that it is now the towns safehouse in the event of an attack. All noncombatants within the town are to head down there and shut the stone doors behind them. A noncombatant is anyone who is either under the age of 16, a cripple, or a woman with child. Anyone without the physical strength to lift a weapon and swing it with relative ease are also considered noncombatant.

I have a character that will fit in perfect with RP
Jerard the Steadfast (played by Fanggreywolf) Topic Starter

(That's great and all, but perhaps you should have just messaged me instead of posting in the RP forum itself.)
Angel Paris (played anonymously)

(Fang asked me to make us an OOC Chat, so please use this thread for now on when speaking OOC, and only OOC!)
As she approached the gate of the village, she noticed the long, long line in front of it. She watched as some poor citizens were rejected, but the people were kind enough to give them a bag. It was kind of sad, but she really didn't care for them. What she did care was being able to get inside herself. She was desperate for real shelter and real food, seeing as she only slept on the branches of the trees, which didn't shield her from the chilling winds of the night, and only ate fruits for days.

The line went forward quickly. Now that she was closer to the village, the smell of cooking meat became stronger and made her stomach ache with hunger. When she was next, she felt like she was being scrutinized by the guards in front of the gate. She hoped she would be able to get in. She took off her backpack from her shoulders as they requested her to do and opened it for them to see. She also removed her knives from their sheaths and showed her left hip to them so that they could inspect her weapons. It wasn't long before the guards nodded and led her inside the gates.

Yes! she cheered in her mind. As she moved ahead, she was given a roll of fur and was told it will be her bed. She looked at it. Hmm, at least it will keep her warm when she slept.
Hazel Therond (played anonymously)

As she waited in silence, her mind wandered through the events of the past 2 years... had it really been two years? Her internal clock said it had been, two years or more, since things had changed so drastically. The world she'd grown up in was gone, replaced by this one... full of death and misery. But then again, her memory before she was 14 was all but gone... lost after what her family had called a freak accident. Though, she had a feeling there was more to the story than she knew... but the past no longer mattered in this new, dark world.

There wasn't time to waste on thinking either, as she was pulled from her thoughts by the sound of a magpie's screeching just to her left. Turning her sharp gaze on the offending black and white bird, her brow furrowed as she recalled that a lone magpie, like this one, was often an omen of bad luck. Begrudgingly, she pulled a piece of dried bread from her bag and offered it to the bird. She watched in silence as the bird took the bread and flew off, leaving her alone with her thoughts again. A chill ran down her spine as she looked around the forest once more and spotted some crows sitting in another tree, watching her with interest and hunger in their eyes. Another bad omen... not that she was superstitious... but it still unnerved her to see this omen of death in such close succession with the magpie. Reaching into her bag, she made sure her belongings were all still there, then made a rapid descent from the tree, sliding down the trunk with ease. For once, she was going to join the other humans... at least there she'd be temporarily away from the creeping feeling that something was amiss.

She sprinted to reach the end of the line of humans, silently attempting to blend in and pretend that she wasn't out of place at all.

The guards seemed rather skeptical, and when Mark had offered to remove this weapons they simply nodded their heads. They seemed to tense up slightly as he patted his weapon, then relaxed once more as his hand moved away from it. "Yes please good sir, remove any weapons to be inspected. What was your profession before all of this, erm...Started?" The second guard turned his head to regard the armed man, sighing. "We've only settled in here for a fortnight sir. We've been too busy fixing up the place to give it any kind of proper name. Currently we all just call it 'Home.'"

The second guard then turned to Angel, looking her over with his head tilted to the side. "Hello there. Do you happen to have any weapons on you Miss? Or perhaps have anything useful on you? Everything helps. If you don't have anything but the clothes on your back, don't fret."

By the time that the third girl had arrived at the gate, more guards emerged to help process the amount of people that were leaving, either to give them a bag and send them on their way, or invite them inside to the promise of something to drink and a hot meal. Lia was also, just like both Mark and Angel had been, asked to reveal any and all weapons, useful supplies, and anything else that could be of value/use."

Estelle would be lead by a single guard, with a small group including herself to one of the many buildings in the town. As the guard walked he explained that the buildings closest to the center of town had already been filled to the rafters with refugees, and as such they were having to spread out from there. He also explained that once everyone was settled they would be allowed to choose their own housing and whom they had in their house with them, but for now this was the easiest way to get everyone settled in for their first night.

The line had gotten significantly shorter in the time that Hazel had been in the woods, and there were perhaps twenty people left. There were noticeably more and more people being turned away as it went on. Perhaps they were running out of room? Regardless, by the time Hazel had arrived personally at the guards, they were almost about to hand her a bag, then looked over her attire, as if in silent thought. "Hmmm...Do you perhaps have any skills? And I don't mean knitting or the like. We have enough mundane talent as it is. You better be good at something few around here are, or I'm afraid there won't be any room for you."
Mark von Drake (played anonymously)

Noticing that the guards were a bit on edge or even nervous he relaxed his shoulders a bit to try and look like less of a threat. He nods to the guard respectfully as he asks him to remove any weapons. Mark hands over his hand-and-a-half sword, a dirk, and two knives in easy to access areas. He sighs as the man asks him what his profession was, "Well...I am Captain of the Drake's 5th Halberdier Company", he pauses briefly. "Well, was at least....A little over a week ago our city was attacked by the undead horde, we were to cover the rear flank so the civilians could escape safely...It was over a hundred men against...hundreds of them, we held our ground as long as we could. If it wasn't for those siege machines we probably would have fallen much sooner.", he looks down staring at the ground with a sullen look.

Perhaps there was something he could have done to save his men, but at least they had succeeded in their mission to ensure the civilians safety. Looking up his expression became stoic once more, "But I don't need to waste your time with my stories, carry on", he says staring at the men.

Glancing over to the girl on his right, she stood out like a sore thumb with her hair, hopefully the people around here will be nice enough to where she isn't mistreated. He turns his head to her and says, "Don't worry mam, they're just doing their job", he smiles to her.
Angel Paris (played anonymously)

Soon after quite a long wait, or at least compared to what Angel presumed after she had made her decision that she would stay in the line to try and get into shelter, one of the guards would look over at Angel. The guards were still speaking with the man that was in front of her, but Angel's attention was currently on her own situation, and didn't take note into what they were talking about. It was most likely just like what she was about to go through.

The timid girl's eyes widened slightly when she was asked the question. They want to know if I have anything on me...? Angel would think to herself, growing slightly concerned. She wasn't sure how to react in this situation. To be completely fair to her, all she had at the moment was her cleric staff, two other pairs of clothing, and some medical herbs. She didn't have anything to worry about, but yet she still did. Why am I so worried?! Angel thought to herself, mentally cursing herself for having to be so afraid for no reason whatsoever.

She had almost decided to turn back completely, until the man she was behind had turned to look at her, most likely noticing her hesitation to take any action in the situation. Hearing what he said, she would take it all in for a few seconds, before she would slowly nod at him. "..If y-you say so..." Angel would say, ignoring her own usual stutter. It always happens at least once every time she speaks, and she has grown used to it at this point. She had no idea why she decided to trust the man when it came to this choice. She glanced at him slightly again, and then felt like she realized the reason. Her fist that was farthest from him slightly clenched up, but she would soon release it as she would speak to the guards.

"Umm... B-Besides my clothes, I h-have..." Angel would quiet herself slightly as she would reach to her back, unsheathing the cleric staff and presenting it, holding it close to her chest, "A s-staff... T-to heal people with..." She would give her attempt to explain it, but she stopped as she presumed the guards got the point. "...I also h-have a f-few medical h-herbs inside of m-my bag, if that h-helps..." Angel would add on later before she would forget. It was at that moment when she realized that this would have been the perfect time for her to find a place to stay, as she had run out of food the previous night to eat on. She couldn't help but feel hungry after the realization, but decided to not say anything about it for now.
Lia Rossi di Alba (played by Periquito_Drone)

Lia calmly complied with the guard's orders and showed her bag. It was stocked full of valuable treasures and trinkets. It also had some first aid and in a separate compartment, poisons and her daggers in another. She had a bow and arrows neatly packed at the bottom, she took it out with one of the arrows and unfolded them, "this, and what I have in my bag, are all I have." She informed honestly, "is there anything you'd like for me to discard?"
Hazel Therond (played anonymously)

The fact that people were being turned away more and more didn't go unnoticed to Hazel, but she still needed to try. She hated the sick feeling in her gut that something bad was going to happen and the company of other humans was the best distraction she could ask for. When she reached the guards, she half expected to be turned away flat out, but a small smile tugged at her lips when they asked if she had skills. "What kinds of skills do you mean? You really ought to be more specific." Out of pure habit, she took her bow off her shoulder and started fiddling with the bowstring. Part of her wanted to nock an arrow and start making target practice to ease her mind, but that wouldn't make villagers happy. Gods, she hated talking to people, she lacked the charisma or verbal talent to make her own case as to why she should be let in. If she knew what they needed, that would help an awful lot, boil it down to a 'yes' or 'no' as opposed to a question with a million possible answers and probably only one right answer.

The guards seemed to visibly relax seeing as how he'd relaxed his shoulders, and as a whole made himself seen less threatening. They took a breif look over the weapons that was presented to them, not really interested in how the weapons themselves looked, moreso just to confirm that they were as he said they were. "5TH Halberdier company eh? That was quite the company... I'm sorry for your loss, Captain. Hopefully you'll feel at home here."

The guards waited patiently for Angel to pull herself to together, their faces expressing understanding and sympathy. The events that everyone had gone through in one way or another was enough to make even the bravest of souls shyer than usual. They nodded their respect to Drake after he had given her those reassuring words, then looked back at the girl expectantly. "A healer? Oh bless the divines above! Come in come in, I believe they have need of you, or will have need of you soon! Those versed in the healing arts are very rare nowadays. Walk through the door, get your bundle of furs, and one of the guards inside will have you settled in for the night."

The guards seemed to glance over her pack, then frowned a little seeing the poison. "Yes there is something that we'd like you to discard. That poison. The dead don't get affected by the stuff, and killing other people is only going to make everything harder for everyone. So kindly spill that stuff out on the ground, and you are free to go inside."

"Well, currently the thing that we have most on our minds is keeping a full larder. So if you were perhaps skilled in hunting, Fishing, any of that sort then you would certainly be allowed to come inside and join us. I see you have a bow, so I assume that you would be good in using it. " The guard tilted his head ever so slightly to the side, as if regarding her with new eyes.
She noticed as they went further in the town, that they were bundled into small groups. She intently listened to the guard guiding them as it was probably something important. As he was explaining, some things suddenly made more sense. No wonder they were turning down more people outside. She was glad she didn't decide to take a break a while ago like she had planned to or else she would have been one of the later ones.

She could only imagine how many people they already took in if the buildings near the middle of the town were already full to the brim. "Unbelievable," she muttered to herself softly. Weren't there any other places that were able to resist the dead? This town couldn't be the only town taking in refugees. There is no use thinking about something I would not be able to find the answer to, she thought. I should just go with the flow for now.

Still partially listening to the guard, she wondered who she will housing with she probably didn't know anybody here, or at least, she hadn't seen anybody that she recognized. Though there was still a chance that a fellow knight or citizen is here.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Flickering flame of hope.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus