Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Final Frontier I Will Never See

Hey there, community! I've got to say that you are looking stunning tonight, and I hope you have someone - be it a friend or lover - that tells you that at least once a week. If not, well that's okay. I'll be sure to tell you veeeery often.

It saddens me that only now is space travel very slowly and painfully working its way towards commercialization. Playing games like Mass Effect immerses me in worlds of infinite possibilities, where our current laws of physics are inadequate in comparison to the advances we will likely make.

When confronted by the concept of potential immortality, I once would always say I'd refuse the opportunity. It's more a moralistic question for the intellectuals than anything, but I like to keep my mind open with the possibility that perhaps a way exists. Nowadays, however, I am more inclined to say that I would take the chance and all its hardships, if only to see just how big this universe is. Think about this: commercial space travel will only have barely started by the time I'm 80. I'm within my earlier years now, so think 50+ years of advancement and still nothing in the way of that sense of exploration.

Nothing to fulfill this vast desire of mine to know what's out there, or even better, who. Nothing to quench this eternal thirst for an exploration beyond the greenery and relative safety of this human society. I use the term "safety" very loosely here. I am forced to admit that nothing in the universe (that we currently know of) can possibly be immortal, and that space travel will not become a new means of exploration in my life time. This bogs me down with this horrible melancholy sometimes.

I know I must seem like I'm just rambling right now, but imagine the friends and enemies beyond our solar system. The discoveries. It's a dream I hold tightly to my heart. It's also a dream that will never come to fruition. I decided to share this little tidbit with you guys, because I have a great feeling about this site and the people on it, and I think I'm going to make at least one new friend by the time I move on from this place. And friends talk to each other, so that's what I'll do.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Final Frontier I Will Never See

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus