Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » BBCode anchors

Now, I don't know much at all about BBCode (or anything related, for that matter)... but I was wondering if there is a way to apply 'anchors' on a character's rpr. That is... where you click a link in a 'table of contents' of some sort, and it takes you right down the page to the corresponding area. The most known use of this that comes to mind is on a Wiki page, where (should you be looking up some sort of animal, for example) you click 'Habitat and Range' in the Contents area, and it takes you straight to the Habitat and Range section of the article.

I think it might make navigating through a character's rpr much easier, if there is a lot of content and you're not making extensive use of the collapse tag. That way I can jump easily, from the top of the page, through sections of the page to find exactly what I am looking for.

I'm not sure of the complexity of this addition, or how hard it would be to put into use, but I think it would be a really useful feature if it was available.
Sanne Moderator

The collapse tag was designed to allow more text on a page without stretching it too far and making everything neater and tidy, but if you find your page still cluttered with their use, it might be a good idea to divide the content onto extra pages. :) We do offer extra pages - forever - for a small fee! There are also extra pages per default with an Epic Membership. Kim made it so you can sort your pages into dropdown menus (and later there will be a way to see the links as a submenu the same way dropdown links show in groups), so there's a good way to make everything ordered and out of the way without cluttering the navigation.

Personally, I don't mind either way, but it can become messy designating anchors into multiple widgets. If you delete a widget with an anchor in it, you'd want the link to be removed from the table of contents as well. Manually adjusting anchors everywhere seems like it's a lot more trouble than it's worth to me, but that is a possibility.

Then there's the question, how many people will actually end up using it? I check out a lot of profiles every day, and very few are ever long enough and contain so much content to warrant them. If I need to scroll down two pages only, it hardly seems worth it adding an anchor (and on bigger screens, there's a chance the page doesn't scroll at all and the anchor just doesn't work). Depending on how this should be coded, there's a possibility Kim would have to put a lot of extra time and work into getting this set up. If not enough people will make use of it, it's more or less a waste of effort. :(

In the end it's Kim's decision of course, I don't know how she would code this and how much trouble it would be, so maybe my worries are misplaced. I think it's a good idea for very long pages, but considering I can count pages of such length on one hand here on RPR, I'm not sure it's a feature worth implementing.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » BBCode anchors

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus