Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » ~Beyond the Shadows~

--Ri'astrad-- (played anonymously)

The traveling hero came to a stop, now observing the greenery of the forest. Well, what did he see? A butterfly. A butterfly that land upon the tip of his nose. They stared, and as Cú's big orbs were glittering with sparks of delight, the butterfly took off while the Hound watched until it vanished behind the shifting leaves. Then, he took off to a nearby river. Cú started taking down small gulps of water down his throat. The idea of having his thirst quenched made him pay little attention to the surroundings, but his ears didn't. Those big, fluffy parts of his flapped at the most silent of sound, whether a beat of a bird's clap of wings, or a quick, faint step of an ant situated up above the tree's branches.

Of course, that also included the wailing of the innocent. Little Cú Chulainn's little feet crossed the woods. Being one of the fastest heroes there are back in his world, it was only a matter of seconds before he reached the other side of the forest. And there, he saw a group of bandits, threatening to take away whatever valuable things that a traveler had. Cú Chulainn's heroic blood just got triggered.

"Chuu!" He said. Whatever it means, he was ready to kick their asses.

A few hours later,

As the bandits were on the ground, blacked out. Cú Chulainn was awarded by the generous man. He was gifted with many things; gold and jewels and all the good things to help a man escape poverty. Cú Chulainn had no need of this, but he couldn't refuse the man's generosity as well, so he took this to some random tavern, in order to spend it as quick as possible.

Though it caused him some troubles in moving, it only made him further determined in getting rid of them.

Carrying the stuffs into the tavern, where apparently, weird things were going on, Cú being one of them as he stumbled, trying to balance the towering goods.

An unnaturally small dog carrying such a giant pile of treasures, coming through that door into the human society.

Maybe it wouldn't raise questions and attention...?
Morgan came over in a most displeased frown towering over Ambrose and leaning his chin on her shoulder as he spoke close to her ear in a lower voice for her to hear, his arms wrapped tightly around her waist, pulling her close to him so her back was well slammed into his chest.

"My dear, maids do not accept challenges here, neither do they upset customers or insult them, they service the clientelle in every way instead... I care not if you are acquainted with the thugs or if you hate their guts, they are your customers now and my customers and will be treated like royalty.

One more word out of pleasant tune and I'll have you scrubbing floors on hands and feet, sunrise to sundown, doing dishes all night long so you don't sleep either, no food and not a single tip to call your own, am I clear?

Those that don't pay taxes get forty lashes... I suggest you see these men as money pouches that you have to grovel at to make your own way to your own gold in whatever way necessary.

For now, you will take five gold pieces from your earned tips and give them over to the man you have offended with your sharp tongue as you kneel by his feet to issue an apology and beg he doesn't leave.

I would hate for him to leave and our lord knight Lancelot to follow him out of here. That would ruin the bets, it would sour the overall mood and drop the sales, and this place, is all about making money.

So... once you have apologized as you have just been told to do, I want not a single insult from that mouth of yours after" warned Morgan smacking her rear end and sending her to the task to appease Inai.

Glendale saw Inai stand up from his prominent table and join theirs, leaving behind Lancelot and Arun-ja to join his group of assassins and thieves and smiled warmly at the gesture.

8e0a9d17cb5324a1d7d39144e75e3d72--robin-hood-bbc-robin-hoods.jpg

"Well... welcome among us, I don't blame you for being uncomfortable next to such righteous knight, there's few like him in this realm.

Back in the forest it was quite a pickle you found yourself at. What brought you to such circumstance, did you steal? or did you maim someone?" asked Glendale coming to sit down next to Inai, after standing and leaning against the wall.

"My name's Glendale, but you can call me Glen... what's yours?" quizzed Glendale who had not missed the move and remembered Inai from the forest
No sooner Merthyr had overheard the altercation and the formal challenge, he looked up alarmed and indignant at Inai.

"No man shall lay hand upon my beloved lady. I accept your challenge on her behalf... if you insist. I shall personally be her champion instead" informed Merthyr in a formal tone, gallantly stepping up to Ambrose defence out of chivalry and out of love causing Morgan to splutter the brew he was drinking, suddenly all the more interested in the woman.

Lancelot buried his eyes into his palm, shaking his head negatively a couple of times at the misshap. He cringed that the crown prince would dare take on challenge at a thug's den and so blatantly declare his feelings for what seemed a random serving girl, which would place her into greater danger and humiliation.

These assassins and robbers probably despised Merthyr so much that the only reason he had not yet been killed was simply because Merthyr was Aynor's slave and these thugs knew better than to touch their commander's property.

"Sire.... please... I would ask you reconsider...." requested Lancelot in a polite, low, worried voice, looking at Merthyr who was refusing to budge, hand resting upon his sword to make good on the duel.

Aynor chuckled at the display of noble chivalry and patted Merthyr on the back.

"Very well, very well... since you seek to partake on a challenge, your royal highness, you shall partake on a challenge" assured Aynor looking at Rufus and Robin in a wide smirk.

"Robin, Rufus, make sure to remove regalia and his royal robes then tie him up at the wheel for a good dagger throwing round. Tie him up tightly and put an apple into the pigglet's mouth for a target" prompted Aynor watching the two men seize the prince in a rather brutish fashion, removing his clothes to leave him with just his shirt and trousers, wrists, ankles and waist tied onto the giant wheel that was normally spun to give the thugs a moving target.

Merthyr was alarmed at his immediate danger and now wished he had just shut up in the first place, his eyes glanced towards Ambrose and he was relieved to see Ambrose had not been harmed for the altercation caused with her comments. He strained the neck to look at Aynor and listen into the so called challenge terms and conditions.

mc-arthur-bound.jpg

Aynor took daggers, laying them on the table and motioned to Inai and Lancelot to feel free to join in the gamble

"The challenge finishes when the apple is removed from the royal pigglet's mouth, the weight of the dagger and his fear will certainly cause that to happen. Hit to the arms or legs are worth 5 gold each, the apple is worth 50 gold and missed hits obviously don't count. You get three throws each, once you and your crew are done, it will be my men's turn and after any other customer who wishes to partake at the challenge.

To participate you have to pay 10 gold as there has to be an entry fee to compensate for the maimed slave after all. If you have good aim you stand to make a decent profit from the top prize, if your skills are lacking towards moving targets... then I will understand your weakness and let others partake instead" goaded Aynor moving aside to leave the three daggers on the table, which was placed at quite a distance from the spinning wheel

Lancelot immediately stood up to his feet "please excuse me but I must partake on this bet" excused Lancelot off Arun-ja, standing up without hesitation and coming over to Aynor

He took out his pouch of gold and paid the entry fee, hating to be made to gamble with such scoundrels but knowing better than to trust them not to miss on purpose, simply to injury royalty.

Still as the offer was open to Inai first, Lancelot left 30 gold pieces, a round for Inai and a round for himself and even one for Arun-ja too. If Inai rejected the challenge then it would be Lancelot's turn and he would make sure not to miss that apple to prevent the thugs even having a chance to give it a go.

"Pay up! He does gamble too" shouted out Haldor at Morgan a broad smirk to see Lancelot so keenly engage in their not so honorable challenges, bets and games
Those who travel acr (played by Thekaleidoscope)

After moving to the table on which the assassins resided Inai was glad of the warm welcome from Glendale. Nodding along to the initial lines of the conversation heartily agreeing with the sentiment the other man was expressing. He as anyone who talked to him for long enough, not the fondest of royalty or those who blindly followed them. "He's almost like a dog, one following his master around, blinding following their orders."

However, to answer the question as to why he'd been fighting Lancelot he felt compelled to answer honestly. While it might not be the answewr the other was looking for it was the only one he could give. "Oh no, there was nothing of that sort. He'd simply looked like a warrior I'd enjoy fighting and up to the task of it. So I issued him a challenge."

"The names Inai Vance, though I find it easier if you just call me Inai though."

It was at this point that Inai had stood up and issued his challenge. A challenge which brought him no end of headache when seemingly everyone in the pub stood up to either declare they were taking the challenge or some other form of nonsense.

He simply wanted to fight and duel the vampire, not the seeming rest of the bar. He listened to what Arun-Ja said then completely ignored it, his mind turning to other matters with everything seemingly escalating faster than he could keep a track on what was going on.

Out of everything two things angered him more than most. The first was the way, Morgan forcing Ambrose to pay him for what had transpired. For someone, he'd challenge this was a slight he couldn't stomach himself. "Vampire, keep the money, I have no need or want for it and there's no need apologising to me, what you said is fair to your worldview. I cannot take that away. "

"However barkeep should I duel her would that not generate more advertisement for this place? bring people in to watch the fight?"

His attention was turned to Merthyr challenge and subsequent binding to the target wheel. "Prince I respect your decision to defend her, but I have no interest in duelling you. Only the vampire, maybe someday I'll take you on, but now is not the d...."

Inai's eyes went wide as he looked at Lancelot paying the entrance fee for him, his mind almost boggling at the idea. He simply couldn't understand the move from the knights part, that he would trust Inai to not deliberately attack someone that he'd made his disgust for openly known.

"Lance... lance, why did you pay for me? You know my views on royalty.... I go before you do should I join... what's stopping me throwing a dagger straight into his chest?"

There was no intention for him to do so, he would never kill anyone in what he considered a despicable method. He would only kill on the field of combat with both participants holding an equal chance of victory. That and he needed time to think, any moment without everyone speaking at him together.
Sir Lancelot smiled widely addressing Inai with a respectful bow and tone.

"My liege, I have done so for several reasons but the main ones are these.

In this kingdom, a slave cannot go before his master nor can a servant or captive go before his liege lord. I must thus allow you to participate and go first before I can rightfully take my turn.

I know you to be a man of some honour, after all you just refused her money where most here would have taken that gold alongside the apology with glee and pride.

Despite your loathing towards royalty, you have just turned down a duel against the prince which offered you a unique opportunity to kill the royal outright in a single combat. If you truly sought his death, you would have accepted the challenge. The prince never grants duels at all and you turned down such rare chance, leading me to believe you would not really bring him serious harm either.

I also know you to be noble enough to not seek the death of a disadvantaged opponent, despite your abhorrence and contempt for royalty, unlike the scallywags that line these walls.

More importantly, I trust your skill to be lacking enough that you will neither hit the apple nor maim the prince much... no less than I trust my aim at avoiding the prince whilst hitting the apple altogether.

I will happily go after you, my liege, but right before them so I can put an end to this nonsense altogether before they even get a chance to partake" informed Lancelot talking calmly with confidence.
Ambrose Acheron (played anonymously) Topic Starter

She would feel hands wrap around her waist, before she was pulled back to be pressed against Morgan's chest, his bad breath breathing into her ear as he whispered to her. She would scowl at him as he demanded she give him some of her money, though the mention of lashes didn't concern her. As she had proven to the bandits earlier, her skin would heal herself almost immediately. Though when he smacked her in the rear again, she had snapped, and her entire body began shaking as she fought off the urge to kill him. Though she would go to Inai and kneel to him, digging into her pocket and fetching out five gold pieces, holding it out to him.

"I'm sorry about my behavior...please don't leave..."

She whispers to him, but looks up at him as he tells her no apologies or money was necessary. She would smile and nod at him, reforming her opinions of him as she stood up and pocketed her money. Though she would practically whirl around to face Merthyr as he not only declared he would be her champion, but declared her as his beloved. Her face would turn red in embarrassment, as she felt the same way towards him. Though she would walk up to him, placing her hand ontop of his.

"Please....reconsider...."

But it was to late. He was already being dragged off and tied to a spinning wheel. She would stare at it in shock, before narrowing her eyes at the group of bandits. One day...One day she would surely have their heads for it. But for right now, she would try to put an end to this madness, she would approach Morgan and kneel down in front of him, bowing her head slightly as she desperately tried getting him to stop the match.

"Please...You shouldn't allow this to continue...He is the king's son, and if his majesty should get word of what is happening to his son here, this place of establishment would surely be burned to the ground...If necessary, I will give you all the money I have earned tonight in exchange for you sparing Prince Merthyr and putting an end to this madness...Please...I'm begging you..."
--Ri'astrad-- (played anonymously)

(Cú should heroically jump in at this point, but I have a good feeling people are gonna flip out if he does -3-'')
"Absolutely out of the question, maid... what the clientelle does with their slaves is none of my business nor yours for the matter." informed Morgan sharply

"The king should have paid more in order to ransom his son, fact that his highness is here is clear indication his majesty i aware and acceptant of all the consequences slavery entails, no matter how dire or dishonorable" dismissed Morgan uninterested in her pleas but highly interested in the dagger throwing challenge tossing bets and rounds of ale

"Go on lads, one gold that the prince gets at least one injured limb, five gold that he gets one serious injury, and ten gold no one hits that apple" egged Morgan soon watching Haldor and other regulars place counter bets and higher sums

"I say he gets at least two hurt limbs" muttered Haldor waving Ambrose over

"Bring another mead" clapped Haldor to get her to hurry so he wouldn't miss drinking and watching

Ambrose would glare daggers at the man, standing up and straightening herself out, as well as dusting herself off. She put what gold she had in her pockets, before glaring at him further. Her eyes turned red as she spoke to him, an anger in her voice while she spoke to him.

"You will regret the day you made an enemy out of me..."

She says before going to collect everybody's orders. She had no interest in Haldor trying to rush her, so she would purposefully make sure she brought him his mead last. She collected Arun-Ja's, Lancelot's, and Inai's orders and walked to their tables, setting it down, and would take care of the rest of the customers in the building before she even thought about getting to the group of bandits. She would go to the back and grab their orders. She had half a mind to spit in their food and drinks, but decided against it....for now. She walked out and gave them all their drinks, her eyes glowing at them. This wasn't something she could control, and it was the same as signaling them all to a death sentence. Though none of them would really be able to tell. She stared at Merthyr sadly as she had no choice but to watch. Maybe she could heal him later.
Morgan chuckled seeing exactly what she had done but not about to change her working order given she would inevitably have to go around Aynor's crew sooner or later.

"An enemy... don't flatter yourself lass... women are worthless, they rank far too low in here to even be noticed for the matter, nevermind classed as enemies." smirked Morgan with a sly smile spitting the truth at her face

"Let me spell it out for you, you're here to obey my every command, to work when I see fit, as I see fit, doing what I see fit, if I see fit. You are but a slave, a barmaid, no more than a serving girl and, until that changes, you better improve your manners and ill chosen words, you certainly don't want an enemy out of me in your current predicament with that lovely collar of yours... I could easily order you into silence and you would loose your voice altogther.

Now that's a thought... why didn't I think of that before.... witch... no more talking... no more words shall leave those precious red lips of yours, they look more appealing and tempting when silent. Let's see how you manage your orders without a voice to nag customers with" smirked Morgan coming over to take a better look at the challenge, letting Ambrose work herself to exhaustion and figure ways around her new predicament
Arun-Ja (played by Arcol)

Coins landed in Ambrose's hand, launching from Arun-Ja's coin bag into her palm. "Enjoy." he said as he began to eat. Upon hearing Morgan's words, he grew angry at the man for the whole ordeal of her slavery. He could tell this King Conrad was a violent and ruthless ruler, no doubt, and hoped to have an idea of dethroning him, though calling upon the Dark Brotherhood was out of the question, seeing as they dwelt in Tamriel only.

Again while Inai knew the knight meant well, he was far too uptight to be anything else, yet in the same second, he was unbelievably irritated by them. He hated being called My liege and having anyone place him above them. It put him in the place of the things he hated the most: Royalty.

The voice wasn't angry when it spoke, just filled with a frustration that was nearing anger. It was begining to get on his nerves being called things like master by Lancelot. "Call me My Liege and place me above you one more time and I really will plug him in the chest just to spite you!"

Turning back to Aynor he grinned a twisted smile, "I'll take the bet, using the money already provided for me by Lancelot. If it is YOUR will as the game maker then I will go before him, however, if not then I will take my turn after him. Whichever it is, at least it shall not be because I was given it for being 'higher' than someone else"
Aynor nodded in acceptance at the statement.

"Welcome, as an equal among many then. Though the prince did personally challenge you to a duel so you shall go first, comrade" smirked Aynor patting Inai at the back and leaving the three daggers before Inai taking a good step sideways to leave the table and surrounding space entirely free, waving his hand for the wheel to be spun with speed, the thugs doing so in full force and stepping back and away of the dagger's path.

Ambrose would stare daggers through the mans soul as he ordered her into silence. She just shook her head, quite annoyed. She would certainly be going after the man when he slept. Oh yes, she would drink so much from this guy he would be rendered useless. She would just have to buy her time until then. She would grab a spare peace of parchment and quill, before going to the counter top and writing a message that she could present to customers. It would read Hello and welcome! Sorry I can not speak to you, but I'm more than happy to serve you! Just tell me what you want! When she went to Arun-Ja's table, she would look down at her hand, and see the abundance of coins land in her hand. She would look at him gratefully before pulling him into a hug, grateful for the money. She hugged him as a sign of thanks, since she couldn't speak.

She would stand by after that, watching the challenge. If necessary, she could use some magic to redirect the path of the daggers, but still make it land somewhere close enough to convince everyone that he had simply missed or had a really bad aim. She would stand to the side as nobody was requesting her yet, giving Merthyr a knowing look due to her being unable to speak, and hid her hands behind her back, ready to use her magic to protect the prince if necessary.

There would be no more talking from Inai, for the first time in a while all remaining emotion on his face would slowly drain away. It was an old technique he'd been taught, to clear oneself of all emotions and distractions before committing to fire.

Ginerely he picked up the first dagger, testing it's weight in his human palm, getting a feel for exactly where the heaviest part lay. After almost twenty seconds of delay the warrior transfered it to his wooden palm, the oaken fingers hungrily clasping onto the blade.

For just a second he contemplated his options and just for a fraction of that time he considered sending a dagger straight into the princes chest. Bringing one of the people he despised the most to the brink of death. Furious at the dishonorable situation he found himself in he opted to take the first shot as a full demonstration of aim and strength.

Pulling his arm back he let loose, sending the first blade flying at the edge of the board, clearly no where near the target of the game. While the blade hurried itself right up to the hilt it would be clear there were some conflicting values throwing themselves at each other inside the warriors head.
Erga Kenesis Di Raskreia (played anonymously)

The seemingly young woman watched the small ordeal between the two while sitting in the corner. She pulled her cloak tighter around her, trying to veil her face. She watched the young waitress with a hint of interest. There was definitely something different about her from the other customers. She couldn't yet pinpoint it...

She took a sip from her drink and rested her head against her fist, waiting for the intrusion she so wanted to be a part of.
Lancelot sported a small smile, briefly nodding in gratitude that Inai had chosen to spare at least one wound out of three possible shots.

"Are you really that clumsy?! His entire body spread wide as it is, is almost as big if not bigger than half the spinning wheel with that well built chest, arms wide open, musuclar thighs tied apart for wider target! How could you possibly miss it? What more can you need to hit, if anything at all?!" remarked Haldor really upset that Inai had cost him money

"Surely you cannot have possibly missed that! It was a terrible shot! My goodness that was a wasted entry fee then..." huffed Haldor paying up that Inai's first shot had been a total miss, having held higher expectations "Any further away you don't even get to touch the wood at all" grumpily muttered Haldor unhappy at his lost bet

"You must be really untrained or really unlucky to miss such an obvious shot and you didn't even drink that much for the matter" complained Robin paying and betting five gold that his next hit would hit bets and tankards flowing thick and heavy, some overestimating and others underestimating Inai's true skill

"Oi Glen... this lad must be one of yours, must be a thief then to have so little command of weaponry" declared Rufus calmly "Good job you turned down the duel, mate, the prince would have made mince meat out of you with such an appauling aim" muttered Rufus shaking his head and paying up at the lost bet too

"Now now, lads, hush up and don't distract our hero... give him time and chance..." urged Aynor scolding those present who belittled Inai over his first blatant miss, well aware the boy had done it on purpose, perhaps because of Lancelot

"Two more to go, comrade, better luck next time" encouraged Glendale shaking his head at Haldor and Rufus

Ambrose sighed in relief as Inai had intentionally missed the shot. She placed one of her hands over her chest and closed her eyes, letting the relief wash over her. Though she would quickly snap out of her thoughts as she heard the bell of the door chime, and glanced over to see a woman pull a cape around her to conceal herself. She raised an eyebrow as she got the sense that this woman was staring at her. Though she was more concerned with the bet that was going on. When she got her voice back, she would have to talk to Merthyr about what had happened.

But right now, she would straighten herself up and walk over to Egra, showing her the hand written sign since she couldn't speak. While she did this, she would also be thinking of a way to take the collar off of herself. It would be obvious that she was wearing such a thing if one just looked. Though with her mind in 20 different places, she wouldn't be paying much attention to the fact people could see it, and waited to take Egra's order.
Erga Kenesis Di Raskreia (played anonymously)

Erga watched as the woman walked over to her, holding what appeared to be a small note. When she looked at it, she saw that the waitress couldn't speak. She frowned and slowly removed her cloak that covered her head and looked straight at the waitress.
"Could you perhaps write down what I could order? I'm not very...familiar with this place." She asked, almost bored.
Raskreia.png

In a reply so flat and monotone only the most astute of people could have detected any emotion the young warrior chastised the group of betters. "I think you'd better wait until my next shot before commenting on my aim. Once again, I shall choose to place it where I wish. This time in the last dagger."

With the words spoken he repeated the same procedure as before, testing the next daggers weight and strength with his right hand before transferring over to the left. Once again the arm drew back and once again the dagger was sent flying. This one sending it's blade deep into the hilt of the first.

He knew the shot was worthless and a general waste, yet the words had awoken his more competitive side. The one which wished to let people know he could aim properly, he simply had to choose if he wanted to.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » ~Beyond the Shadows~

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus