Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Don't Starve

Sanne Moderator

http://www.dontstarvegame.com/

Don't Starve is a fun survival game that reminds me of Minecraft with better graphics and a spookier theme. :D I got it as an early Christmas present from my fiance and love it!

You can play the free demo here if you have the Chrome browser. And if you pre-purchase the game right now for Steam, you get an extra copy for free to share with someone!

I figure it's a game most of us would really enjoy, so I'm sharing it. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks of it. If you played the demo, did you like it? :)
Ben Moderator

Don't starve is really interesting. I guess it kind of is like minecraft, but I think its spirit is closer to Terraria. It's also a roguelike, which means that you're expected to die - your research progress etc gets carried over to your next playthrough. I don't know if the graphics are necesarily better or worse than other games of this type. They are however more stylish.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Did I mention the character grows an epic beard?
I survived until the first night. I thought the art style was cool, but the format for building things was a bit weird for me. (I couldn't build a fire, so I got killed in the night.)

Of course, no one told me I needed to build a fire until it was already practically dark. And there were no directions on how to build one...

So I was screwed from the beginning! ALGDWDGWGYEGFUUKEJFG (jkjk. I bet it's a really fun game once you figure it out after dying fifty billion times)

What would you do in real life when you're in the wilderness and on your own? XD My first thought was "Fire!" so I gathered stuff for fire. And then I needed food, so I gathered things I found: carrots, berries and anything else edible.

I've played a lot of survival type games though, so that might be why I had an easier start.

Still, I hope you had fun? :D
Ben Moderator

SPOILER ALERTS.

I found one of the most charming things about the game to be how cruel it is. How utterly heartless. I once spent a long, LONG time gathering all the precious renewable resources in my starting area and planting them around my camp. I'm serious, I had at least 20 berry bushes, tons of grass and saplings for twigs, and rows of trees for me to forest when the need arose. I was SET. I even had a pig hut and was using his manure to make farms. Except then. I cut down a tree and a tree nearby turned into an ANGRY FREAKING TREANT that I couldn't kill for the life of me. But I remembered last time I had to deal with one of those guys, I set him on fire, and he died pretty quick. So I set him on fire. And he set the trees on fire. And they set the bushes on fire. And I watched in horror as everything I had worked so hard to gather went up in smoke.
Sanne wrote:
What would you do in real life when you're in the wilderness and on your own? XD My first thought was "Fire!" so I gathered stuff for fire. And then I needed food, so I gathered things I found: carrots, berries and anything else edible.

LOL. It was the exact opposite for me. I wanted to find food and build shelter. THEN make some fire. XD I did have some fun in the brief minutes I played it, however.

Ben wrote:
SPOILER ALERTS.

I found one of the most charming things about the game to be how cruel it is. How utterly heartless. I once spent a long, LONG time gathering all the precious renewable resources in my starting area and planting them around my camp. I'm serious, I had at least 20 berry bushes, tons of grass and saplings for twigs, and rows of trees for me to forest when the need arose. I was SET. I even had a pig hut and was using his manure to make farms. Except then. I cut down a tree and a tree nearby turned into an ANGRY FREAKING TREANT that I couldn't kill for the life of me. But I remembered last time I had to deal with one of those guys, I set him on fire, and he died pretty quick. So I set him on fire. And he set the trees on fire. And they set the bushes on fire. And I watched in horror as everything I had worked so hard to gather went up in smoke.

Spoiler tags work awesome as well! XD

I feel both bad for you and am laughing out loud here, Ben!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Don't Starve

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus