Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Writing/RP Advice + Resources!

rat

I started up an art advice thread a while back and it helped some people out, so I thought I'd try and collect some of RPR's creative writing goodness up into a thread too.

- Have you stumbled across any useful tools for inspiration? (Prompt generators, writing exercises, etc)
- How do you approach building your settings and characters?
- What helps you stay motivated?

Share your tips and resources here! I'll compile it all into an index as we go. :D

Grammar + Style

Grammarly + Hemingway

Tips + Tricks

Writing for RP
Winters_Fury's Pinterest resources (thanks!)

Inspiration

Descriptionari
Character appearance + personality randomizer
rat Topic Starter

To start off, I'm gonna drop off Grammarly and Hemingway, two apps that aim to spellcheck and help optimize things like pace and structure. Remember these are just for guidance purposes - don't take the amount of 'errors' to heart too much. Breaking the rules as a writer sometimes is fun. ;)

And of course there's RPR's own writing advice article! I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already, there's some great points in here. (I miss those chats!)

Edit - Winters_Fury has compiled some Pinterest resources here too!
I recently discovered Descriptionari and it's wonderful for quick inspiration or examples of different writing styles.
rat Topic Starter

MinetteDuMal wrote:
I recently discovered Descriptionari and it's wonderful for quick inspiration or examples of different writing styles.

Hey, that's a pretty neat idea! Thank you for sharing!
MasterWinter

Glad to be of help, Rat. ^-^
rat Topic Starter

Here's a neat character appearance randomizer I found a while back when trying to brainstorm some D&D NPCs. It includes personality quirks, habits and disabilities too. :) Would also be a good tool for artists!
Rogue-Scribe

(I somehow get the vibe this deep-dive was ‘spambotty’ in nature, but the link is good)

I recommend browsing through the pages and links contained in Winter’s Writing Tips as this thread has a heap of good links pertaining to Writing, RP or otherwise, and such.
I totally have a bunch of good resources deep down in my bookmarks. Probably. Ahaha, as it is though, I like ASMR to inspire me! Also music! You just sit down and write or world build, you can have 'company' via the video or just a 'sunlit valley music and nature sounds, 7 hour' video. Ya know??? :D :P :) :P :)

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Writing/RP Advice + Resources!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus