Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Web hosting

Ilmarinen Moderator

Does anyone here have web hosting? (And yes Kim, the RPR counts. ;D) If so, tell me about it! I am completely overwhelmed by all the options. I currently just want a place to host stupid little Javascript and/or PHP scripts, make little sites for my various stuffs, a domain name, etc... you know, just something more flexible than free hosting. But I have NO IDEA what to look for. How much bandwidth do I have? What hosts should I avoid? Here are the things I plan on doing with my site:
  • host my Furcadia patches/etc--need to be able to let people download archive files from me
  • dumb server-side scripts (and client-side too, but those can be run from basically anywhere)
  • art galleries--need a reasonable amount of space and bandwidth for people to view lots of images
  • subdomains--I'd use my main domain name for everything, so it would be cool to be able to have subdomains like "http://subdomain.mydomain.com" or something!
Crunchward on Furcadia helped us out a bunch! Currently we get hosting through Chipper Longtail (I'd have to dig up his website because I'm not sure where it is) and he is best reached via whispering him on Furc. He currently hosts TGT's website. We had a bad time with one of the servers he hosted us on at the start but when he moved us to a different server over a year ago we haven't had a single issue.
The price is also pretty reasonable. It's also nice because Chipper is a fellow Furcer so he is familiar with the game.
https://lithiumhosting.com/

Cheap hosting, great deals, very awesome customer service. You can purchase your domain through them as well.

Avoid godaddy. They have horrible hosting. I don't know about their domains anymore but do not use them for hosting.
Ilmarinen Topic Starter Moderator

I didn't know Chipper did hosting. I'll have to poke him... I think Damadar does hosting too, but maybe they're a part of the same thing. (Is it qiwitrails?)

Lithium looks a LOT like what I'm going for, though... and they offer a trial. I may give that a whirl! :) Thanks Harley!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Web hosting

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus