Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Tedious roleplay habit survey for the bored

Claine Moderator

OOC

• How do you normally title your roleplays, and why?

... Not very well. I tend to try and pick a theme that will play an important part in the narrative. But at the start of an RP it tends to just be guesswork. On forum based RP sometimes I change the title later on when we have more of a sense of direction.

• Do you more often than not roleplay in group than 1x1?

Tabletop: always group
Forum/PM: always 1x1

• How often do you respond?
If the other players are online... Pretty quick. If timezones or whatnot keep the RP slow paced... My replies border on 'never'.

• How often would you prefer a roleplay partner to respond?

However often is comfortable for them.

• How long are your replies?
2 para+

• Which genre do you prefer? Why?

Fantasy, modern fantasy, SciFi

• What is something that you'd like to improve on in your writing?

I aspire to be better at descriptive writing.

• Don't mention any names. Describe a memorable roleplay that you didn't enjoy. Which platform? How old were you? Why was it memorable?

A few years ago I was in a RP clearly wanted to push the intimate relationship of our characters very quickly. I felt that they were acting in a way that was detrimental to the plot.

• Don't mention any names if you don't want to. Describe a memorable roleplay that you thoroughly enjoyed. Which platform? How old were you? Why was it memorable?

I just finished up one. It was memorable because the characters took the time to connect with each other.

• How important is a character profile? What catches your eye?

I really like having very beautiful profiles for my characters. Other players don't need to put in as much time as me, but I at least want to see that they care about the character.

• What platform do you prefer?

RPR

• What's your greatest strength as a roleplayer?

Ahah that's probably better answered by someone else.

CHARACTER

• Do you more often than not roleplay original characters, fan character or canon characters? Why do you prefer one over the other?

I only RP OCs. Character building is my favourite part of RP so I don't see the appeal of canon characters. I'm also just not one to get really enthused by games/films etc.

• Which is your oldest character still in use?

Tsane!

• Is character art important? What do you think of people lifting a drawing from Google or Deviantart?

I'd 10000% prefer to RP with a character with no art, than anime art found on Google, Deviantart or an Instagram model's photos.

• Which is your favorite character to roleplay as, and why?

At the moment I am enjoying West and Sparrow. But this changes depending on active RPs, and my IRL mood.

• How do you treat NPC's? Are they important to plot and and setting and main characters, or are they just filler?

I think they have to act in rational and interesting ways - but they don't need to be fleshed out like a main character. You don't need to know their childhood, just their current motivations. And maybe a quirk to keep them memorable.

• What are your guilty pleasures when creating a character?

Making them sad.

• Do you have more males or females in your character list? Why is that?

Males. When I was a young novice writer I said I disliked female characters - when I think in reality I just disliked must portrayals of women in the media I consumed. They were often boring, weak or sidelined from the action. A lot of my new characters are female, but I still have a huge backlog of male characters.
satyricalfaun

Killing time!

OOC

• How do you normally title your roleplays, and why?

It's been eons since I last rped on a forum of any kind, but when I did, I leaned towards titling it by a universe name my rp partner & I came up with!

• Do you more often than not roleplay in group than 1x1?

It's extremely rare to get me to rp in a group. I'm very slow and I constantly worry about my responses favoring some people over others. :(

• How often do you respond?

It depends on my level of interest and free time, really. It can range from multiple times a day to a few days' worth of a break in between replies.

• How often would you prefer a roleplay partner to respond?

Whenever they'd like. I tend to stress that rping with me is a no-pressure environment!

• How long are your replies?

My replies range anywhere from one line to multiple paragraphs, it all depends on the IC situation and how it's read.

• Which genre do you prefer? Why?

I prefer fantasy & romance above all else! Fantasy is mostly an all-encompassing term; historical, horror, supernatural, etc.

• What is something that you'd like to improve on in your writing?

How I structure my sentences and describe things. :(

Don't mention any names. Describe a memorable roleplay that you didn't enjoy. Which platform? How old were you? Why was it memorable?

While I have nothing against self-inserts, this particular roleplay partner of mine would always use his self inserts with canon characters and describe how charming and irresistible he was to them. No one could get mad at his character for any reason, and no one could dislike his character without him telling you off pretty sternly in OOC. I was around 14-15 at the time, and it was over Skype. It was memorable because he was my best friend and he helped me define the kind of things I didn't like in roleplay in equal parts, haha.

Don't mention any names if you don't want to. Describe a memorable roleplay that you thoroughly enjoyed. Which platform? How old were you? Why was it memorable?

I've had far too many good experiences to name because lately, I've been finding some of the most intriguing and well-written muses and their equally interesting and amazing muns. All of these have been in the past couple of years, 18-20 (where I'm at now), and it's been across various platforms!

• How important is a character profile? What catches your eye?

I find that character profiles are important to help describe your muse to others in a concise manner. Odd things tend to catch my eye nowadays, but the most basic thing is good formatting and even a dash of over-the-top coding!

• What platform do you prefer?

I prefer Discord, Skype, or even a Google Doc. Sometimes PMs, sometimes Tumblr. I never RP on forums/out in the open much anymore, I'm too self-conscious for that.

• What's your greatest strength as a roleplayer?

Once I get the hang of a character, I can't put them down until I figure out everything about them. Hyperfixation's fun.

CHARACTER

• Do you more often than not roleplay original characters, fan character or canon characters? Why do you prefer one over the other?

I enjoy rping as all three depending on my mood. Like lately, I've been feeling original characters moreso than the other two, and that's the one I vastly prefer overall.

• Which is your oldest character still in use?

Some big mean emperor kinda guy named Herenthus.

• Is character art important? What do you think of people lifting a drawing from Google or Deviantart?

I personally feel that character art is nice to have, but it's not required, per se; some people don't feel like they can do their character justice in a drawing, others don't have the money to commission. Lifting images from Google or deviantArt or literally anywhere else makes me extremely uncomfortable because it's usually someone else's OC that's getting lifted, and no one likes to see that. As an artist, it's a devastating revelation when someone says that someone else is using my art for their own OC.

• Which is your favorite character to roleplay as, and why?

I'm very partial to my demon characters and my vampire characters, but I have the most fun with Tómas, my vampire carnie guy.

• How do you treat NPC's? Are they important to plot and and setting and main characters, or are they just filler?

I'm one of those weirdos that focuses on my NPCs as much as my main characters when I write settings, so I find that they're pretty important & integral to the scene that's being set.

• What are your guilty pleasures when creating a character?

I tend to make characters that I find attractive rather than what others would consider 'conventional attractiveness.'
I also really, really like vampires.

• Do you have more males or females in your character list? Why is that?

I have equal amounts, but I tend to rp my more masculine-aligned characters than my feminine-aligned ones. But again, it's usually just based on what I feel like doing at the time. :)

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Tedious roleplay habit survey for the bored

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus