Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Character/Art Theft?

Oh man, actually I have.

I noticed someone's port on furcadia looked an awful lot like a cropped piece of a character ref I had posted on DA just a few weeks before. I wasn't using the character yet - it was a very vague reference I had originally drawn for a friend; and they credited me as soon as I confronted them.
But man, if they hadn't? I would have been pretty piqued. :(
Ilmarinen Moderator

I've never had to deal with it before. Maybe because my characters aren't the kind of thing people want to steal. X)

I'm still worried about stuff like art theft, because I don't heavily watermark my art. (Its purpose is to be enjoyed, after all.) That's why I have ten million WIPs. XP
I've had art stolen before, years and years ago by an ex girlfriend. I was drawing art for (who I thought were) her characters and she was selling them to the people they were actually for, for outrageous prices too. I've never drawn anything but stick figures and D&D maps since. I miss using prisma markers..

Also had my apartment broken into not long ago, new watch my parents got me for my 26th birthday, the cash for our rent and the pearls my wife wore in our wedding were all stolen, we assume also that that was when both our PSPs were stolen and a gift she had bought her grandmother for mother's day. Since we just noticed they were all gone last week.

Theft DOES suck.
Hard, and really bad.
Hope, never had any art or character theft. People have asked me if they could use one of my characters in their stories, though. But credit was given and it was talked about so, that's not a bad thing... Nice to know that my characters are loved though. o3o
I've had characters stolen, but never art... probably because I don't do my own art, and have not the skills to do it, so usually my characters go artless for forever... or end up with real people pictures. :3

But my baby was stolen a couple of years back, his name's Corey, and it's the reason I don't play him anywhere anymore, other than with a friend over aim. I started him on the keep like ten years ago and fell right in love with him. :) When I found out some body had stolen him I was crushed... So, I just stopped putting him places where he could be stolen.

I would never have even known about it if one of my friends hadn't been approached about playing with him... -_-
Just had a character stolen. I am not a happy duck.

I joined a roleplay with a brand new character, Nora Rayne Reed. This roleplay has slots (General character 'ideas' that keep a balance.) I got "Miss Sweetheart." It is fun.

Well, I'm poking about some other roleplays and someone has made the exact roleplay I was in; not the same person who created the first. Theft 1. So, I'm gathering screencaps to send to the mods to report them, and I see under the "Miss Sweetheart" the name "Norah Rain Reid." With the posing colours reversed. So I read the profile. It is the exact same as mine, they just changed the order of the pictures given and made her a year older. This pissed me off, so I screencaped it too plus a screencap of my profile and send it off. Plus sent along a little pm "Congrats on being a theif. Enjoy your ban." And she was banned.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Character/Art Theft?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus