Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hello World

//**************************************************
// Introduction Author: JavyDones
// This program introduces JavyDones to the world.
//**************************************************

import awesomex.swing.*;

public class Introduction
{
public static void main (String[] args)
{
System.out.println ("Hello World!");
}
}

... For those of you who understand that: Hello World!

For those who don't, it's usually the first class a person will ever write when learning to program in Java, but besides that it's also a great way to introduce myself as I am currently in the Computer Science program at my university on the way to being a video game programmer. I couldn't be happier with it and I hope to fit in here.";
A programmer, eh? That is awesome. I do wish I had knowledge of that subject, but sadly I don't. I know some roleplayers here are programmers as well, you won't have a hard time fitting in! Welcome!
Sanne Moderator

Why hello there! I'm not a programmer, although I've done some basic PHP programming in the past, and write HTML&CSS regularly these days. :) It's fun to see such creative introductions! What sort of video games are you interested in making in your future?

On another note, what brought you to RPR? And my curious self is also interested in knowing where your character Schimmel's name comes from. :)
JavyDones Topic Starter

Thanks for the interest, Sanne!

Well, I'm a huge fan of RPG and adventure games and I would love to get on a huge project like that (waaaay in the future, I've still only just passed my first year where all we did was program semi-trivial semi-difficult projects in Java), and my secondary interest would be games for all ages that are kind of pick-up-and-play games like Cut the Rope, Diner Dash, or other games that you might find as an app on the iPhone.

I was introduced to RPR by my friend Nemo who is also on here somewhere. RPing in itself I am going to get back into after a few years out of it because I think it is a great outlet to practice game-creativity and writing. It's important because the other side of my brain with the mathematics, science and programming is much stronger so this is something to flex the other side aha.

Schimmel's name comes from way back when I first introduced myself to a forum as an online entity. It was just something I thought of that sounded cool. I played the MMO Maple Story and became the leader for a guild based on a group of friends from the same forum (interestingly this is also where I met Nemo). It was in Maple Story that some randoms starting asking me if I was dutch because it was a common dutch name haha. On the same forum yet again, we would also RP and I liked to use Schimmel as my character kind of based on the same guy I liked to think of myself playing with in Maple Story.

Now, Schimmel's evolved a lot over the years. He started off as a sixteen year old kid who loved food, flailed a sword, was speed-based, and liked wind magic. His age has always been in keeping with my own (now 23), and in the same regard Schimmel has kind of 'grown up'. So he has become much more deep and complex particularly his interest in academics lately which reflects my own. Although his interests are somewhere similar, he is still vastly different from myself so I hope no one makes that mistake. The differences reflect the idea of the fantasy world where anything can be real like magic, and how I might be different if placed in a world as such. Currently it is very visible that I have taken a very keen interest in the idea of translating today's academic world into what it could be in a world of magic. :)

That was a rather long-winded talk, but hey, it's an introduction topic.
I just glanced at your profile and judging by your extensive list of characters and your moderator title you have been here for a while and love the site, so I would love to hear about yourself if you would like. I'll need to look for some people to RP with once the details of Schimmel's profile are complete and with that in mind it's always great to meet new people.
Sanne Moderator

My favorite kind of games! ;) If you get around to creating a simple game you can share with us in the future, please do! I love seeing how people grow and get better with the things they like doing. :)

I can totally understand why RPing would be a great exercise for your brain. XD I'm not too huge on the mathematical side of things myself, so I have an alarm clock on my phone that makes me solve math problems every morning before I get to shut it off to achieve a similar effect. <.< So far it's working quite well!

I looove getting to know more about people's characters, thanks for sharing! He sounds quite fun to RP with. :3 The reason I asked for his name's origin is because I'm Dutch myself, and Schimmel is indeed the Dutch word for 'mold' or 'fungus'. :)

As for myself, yep, I've been around for a while now! June 26th will be my 3 year anniversary on the site! (Holy crap it doesn't feel anywhere near that long) The characters on my profile are only about half of the characters I actually have, as the others are played anonymously. :) I have 44 characters in total right now. I went to college for IT Management, and while I still occasionally fix up computers (especially my own) and put new systems together, these days I work as a freelancer for freelancers. Combined with moderating RPR and life outside of the internet, I don't have as much time to RP anymore these days as I'd like to. :(

Still, Schimmel is quite interesting, so I may give you a poke and bother you for some RP in the future. ;)
JavyDones Topic Starter

Well actually I had an idea for a simple java-based game that I could be capable of. The only problem is finding an artist (of any skill level, just someone who wants to do a project). I really can't do that kind of thing. I've never drawn more than a stick figure.

I suppose I could make a text-based java game now that I think of it while I'm typing this, but I'll have to think of an idea first. :)

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hello World

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus