Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Original Writing Prompts

So!

One thing I've sort of noticed lately is that Kim hasn't been putting up the Friday Rp prompts any longer. This is totally understandable with all the other stuff she has going on right now.

However!

I miss them. I've been reading tons of fun writing prompts on Pinterest and even come up with a few of my own, but I need more! What do you say we start putting together our own collection of original writing prompts? Just for funsies?

Rules!

They must be out of your own brain. If you have one you just adore and must share and it isn't yours, please credit the original author as best you can. I wanna see what you got, Rpr!

These can be either story or rp prompts. Both are fun and acceptable.

You are welcome to post multiple times as inspiration strikes. If inspiration strikes you, maybe your inspiration will strike someone else!
I'll go first!

A knight crashes through the tower gate. He scales the stairs, he battles the dragon and he rescues the princess! The only problem? He's fifteen years too early! The princess is only three and the dragon who had been her guardian had also been her teacher and provider until her prince was prophesied to arrive. The King and Queen won't take her back as the prophecy has yet to be fulfilled and it could mean the destruction of their kingdom to do so. Now the knight is left to guard and raise this princess until the day her prince finally arrives, battling other unworthy knights and becoming the father he never thought he wanted to be.
Kada

That's pretty cool
Will be adding more over time.

Fantasy

A strange rumour is floating around the rural area you recently arrived in. A powerful mage who once lived on a private island has returned. He does not seem to hold much interest in the world around him but for some reason the land is not marked on any map aside from one that dates back centuries ago.
Nobody has dared to come close to the ominous island but the local lord has sent you to investigate into the matter. What happened to the mage? Is the island truly as deserted as the first glance from the faraway shore tells you? How deep does this rabbit hole go?

The king of a faraway land has invited you, the kingdom's bravest, on a peacekeeping mission to his lands. However, the true reason for your travels has apparently been lost in translation as you and the rest of the kingdoms finest warriors arrive at a grand banquet full of diplomats and other pencil-pushers. The foreign king will not allow you to ride back to request a properly skilled fencer of words. How will you and your men fare on this new battleground? And why does the foreign princess seem thrilled yet not even the least surprised upon setting her eyes on you for the first time?

Sci-fi

In one of the great empires of the space-faring age, there has been a century-long civil war between biological purists and those believing in cybernetic enhancements. Currently, androids and people with a cyborg ratio of over 10% are considered citizens of second class. A hip-prothesis due to old age is fine but need a second arm after an accident and you cannot afford a bioprinted one? You will lose most of your basic rights if you chose to do so. It is to say that there are many veterans of the many wars the empire has fought amongst those degraded to this persecuted status. Dissent has been brewing more than usual lately and rumours of an insurgency have been spreading behind closed doors.
On which side do you find yourself? Do you flee from the chaos entirely and try to start anew somewhere else? The only thing that is clear is that neither side will let bystanders be. There is only us and them.
Dndmama Topic Starter

Oooh! Those are great! I especially like the second fantasy one.
Dndmama Topic Starter

Here's a few shorter ones that are mostly vague location descriptions and dialogue prompts.

-Through the fog rose a spire of smokey white quartz loosely wrapped in swathes of rotting blue and red silk.

-The city didn't so much walk as it gamboled along on slender, rickety mechanical legs across the vastness of the Glass Desert.

-"The story of how I died is actually quite funny. There's a rooster and a samurai sword and a portrait of Shirley Temple and- Well, maybe I should start from the beginning."

-"Don't flatter yourself, detective. I could have ended your life at any point." "Then why haven't you?" "My wife would be extremely upset with me if I stole her kill."

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Original Writing Prompts

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus