Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Tips on being a Moderator.

I've just joined my first group and they've chosen to put me as one of the moderators. Since it's my first time i'd like a few helpful hints so I don't completely screw up. Thanks! :D
Kim Site Admin

What a great question! The mere fact that you are actively thinking about how to do a good job tells me you are on the right track. Moderation requires a person with a strength of their convictions but who also questions their decisions constantly, so that they can try to avoid "playing favorites" or banning someone because they are having a bad day.

We have a ton of great advice on this subject stored, because as you might imagine, it is of great interest to many of our members! Here's my advice and some of my favorite links with info:

Deal with problem behavior very, very early. The moment it seems a little fishy to you, ask the person about it and see what's motivating them and what they are intending to do. If necessary alert them (gently) to how their behavior is/could be affecting others. Do not wait until it becomes a crisis. Then you can gently nudge and encourage members to behave appropriately and prevent hard feelings from developing. It is much easier to prevent than to fix. We have an article about approaching other players, especially those you consider to be friends, to nip drama in the bud without creating more of it in the process.

We've also got a massive, community-written article on running a RP group! The whole thing is great info, but you might especially find the section "enforcing the rules" helpful.

If your group leaders have yet to establish clear guidelines for behavior expectations, urge them to read the above article and have a staff meeting of all the moderators to help decide on some guidelines, so you can enforce things consistently and people know what is expected of them.

Another great resource is Ben's article on being a RP Admin: http://www.rprepository.com/community/forumthread.php?t=5737&p=1 I can't recommend it enough!
Chibidoitsu98 Topic Starter

Thank you so much! These links and tips will certainly come to great use repetitively i'm sure with my memory. The group is currently rather small, only just beginning to add more members so I'm glad to know all this before any drama or issues begin to come up.

So, again thank you very much! I'm so glad to be really using all these helpful forums.
Ben Moderator

You're going to need a thick skin.

Most people see moderating as acting as sort of a police officer. I see it as being a customer service rep.

Rather than 'enforcing the law', your responsibility is to make sure people understand the rules in your specific corner, help them with issues they experience, and remove them only when their presence is toxic to the other players in the group.

The trick is knowing how far to indulge people, when enough is enough, and when you personally need to step back. Being personally involved in a player's issue is the most common source of mismanagement I've come across, so you should never be afraid to ask another team member to step in.

The links Kim provided are some great resources, and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that come up :)
Chibidoitsu98 Topic Starter

I'm so glad to have gotten such great tips. Thank you Ben. I was actually wondering about a few of the things you earlier so I'm glad to have them answered. :)

You are on: Forums » Help » Tips on being a Moderator.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus