Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Across a Crowded Room [Victorian Era 1x1/Group RP]

Katherine Wytherine (played by sanahakuryu) Topic Starter

When he helped with her glove she stood still in shock, looking at him with her jade eyes, exhaling shakily for a moment before swallowing and pulling her hand away, finishing with her gloves and reaching for her hat, tugging it on and tying the ribbon around her chin.

"Would you be kind enough to call my carriage to the front of the house," Katherine asked Edward, looking at him a moment, her voice quivering a bit. What was happening? Why push him away so hurtfully? Simple. Katherine wanted to save herself from hurt as well. As she just stood there, she realised her mistake but didn't know what else to say - "I am sorry....if my childish actions have caused you trouble in securing yourself a suitable partner. I can cease my visitations here if that would be easiest," the noble woman said politely but sadly.
Edward Rutherford (played by Alleluia)

“Of course…” Edward began, and turned to call for a footman and ask him to alert Lady Wytherine’s coachman. Her next words stopped him in his tracks. “I have neither trouble nor the inclination to seek out a partner” he said with his back to her. His voice was cold. face, if she had seen them might have conveyed something else. “Your visitations have no bearing on the matter”.

The truth was that thought of Lenora have become so infrequent as to cause him great guilt. Since the ball at her grandmother’s house, he’s noticed that change in him. That had been the first social event since her passing in which she had not crossed his mind once.

Now, it seemed, that not only was that a betrayal of his dear wife’s memory, but one taken in vain.

When it was time for her next lesson, Edward sent Emily with her governess. He told her he was too busy to come along. His mood had been sour for days, and he thought she must have noticed, since she did not make much of a fuss. Perhaps she’s growing up, he thought and it was bitter sweet. He watched her mount the coach and it drive away. Scowling, he went back to his study.

Katherine had been in an equally sour mood since she had returned from the last lesson. And when she wasn't sour, she was pining almost. With their feelings made relatively clear, she didn't know what to do. Sat in the piano room, she was dabbling over the keys writing a piece of music, pausing on occasion to write the notes before she continued. The melody was sad and drifted through the home quietly. Each note was like a tear almost.

She didn't even hear the staff announce that Emily had arrived for her lesson, just continuing to play, her fingers stretching over the keys lightly and effortlessly as she rocked slightly through the melody of this piece. When Katherine did notice Emily, she stood, the governess curtsying politely.
"Get set up at the piano," she instructed the girl softly.

Emily obeyed. She sat down, her back straight and her fingers poised. She tried emulating the way she just saw Kathrine seated. The woman had become somewhat of an idol for the little girl. “I’ve been practicing the pieces you’ve assigned me” she said, even though it’s only been a few days since they last saw each other, she felt she’s made great progress. With her father withdrawn again, for reasons he couldn’t understand, she had more time.

“Can you teach me something by Schubert?” she asked. “He’s one of papa’s favorites. It’ll be his birthday soon, and I’d like to surprise him. I won’t be able to practice it at home when he’s there, but I think it don’t be a problem. He’s away from the house a lot, preparing for the Paris trip”.

"You will work on what I give you," Katherine said, looking at Emily a moment before sighing, going to her seat by the window - "play your scales to warm up. Then I want to hear the pieces you have learnt without you looking at the music. When you've memorised everything, and play it without a single mistake, then we can talk about a new piece," she continued.

Schubert? Figures he likes Schubert, she thought to herself, gazing out the window to where she saw the staff beginning to pack the trunks to ship across to Paris for the season. She groaned internally. There was always so much stuff to pack when they travelled. Katherine thought perhaps they should just say put instead of travelling if only to save on the need to pack up their lives once a year.

"How is your father?" Katherine asked Emily, wanting to know but not wanting to seem too interested. She hoped Emily would just see it as small talk.

Emily nodded and began her scales. *Adults made so little sense sometimes,* she thought. Then put it out of her mind. She moved to the first of the pieces Lady Katherine had told her to memorize, the one she felt she knew best, and played it effortlessly. The other two weren’t quite ready yet.

“He’s in a mood again” she answered her teacher. “I don’t know why. He’s taken me to visit maman’s grave, which he hasn’t for some weeks. I brought her flowers and a letter. We’ve had my grandmother and aunt for lunch the other day, and they talked to him about a wife. I don’t know why he didn’t tell them about Lady Beatrice. He just nodded as they talked and talked and talked, it was boring”. She didn’t tell her teacher that her name had been brought up as well. She had thought it was preposterous. Lady Katherine was hers, not her father’s. She would have said so at the time, but her father’s expression turned stony and he stopped the conversation there. “Grandmama said I need new dresses for Paris, but Aunt Dorothea can’t take me so she said she will. I don’t want to go with her. She only likes me in yellow”.

”they spoke of him getting married again, did they?” Katherine murmured tiredly before drifting off his thought again. If he’d shot the conversation down when Beatrice had been mentioned, maybe it was because he didn’t want the other women knowing he was fond of her. Katherine felt herself feel despondent again. Of course he would pick her. She had more wealth than he could ever use and didn’t have the aristocracy governing her life. It was maddening how free she seemed able to live her life.

With a sigh, Katherine stood to go to the piano, sitting down beside Emily and playing the pieces she had almost fumbled through. At the talk of dresses, she spoke again.

”yellow is not the right colour for someone with hair like yours,” she said thoughtfully, looking at her a moment before brushing back one of her curls off her face - ”you would look pretty in blue or pink. Maybe with some new white ribbons for your hair,” the woman continued thoughtfully

“Oh, please, will you come with?” Emily begged. The light, fond gesture of tucking back a curl had been like water to the thirsty for her. She didn’t have the words to explain it, but it was part of why she wanted Lady Katherine to herself, annoyed when she needed to share her with her father or anyone else. “You have such wonderful taste and I’m sure grandmama would agree”. Her secret hope was that with the shopping done under Lady Katherine’s watchful eye, perhaps her grandmother would sit it out altogether. “We can make a morning of it, take tea in one of the hotels like we used to…” the words got lodged in her throat for the ‘we’ referred to another time and another woman.

“Please…” she said again. Frantically seeking for something else that might make an excursion with her more attractive but coming up with nothing.

Katherine chuckled a little as she seemed to rush out her words before she stood, motioning for her to follow. Katherine led Emily through the grand home, a few servants who were milling about stepping out of their way quickly with a bow. When they reached her room, Katherine pulled the door open.

Large glass windows overlooked out onto the gardens and then the forest on the distant side of their land. The room smelled like fresh roses thanks to the vase of them on her dresser. She went to it, patting the seat a bit for Emily.
”come have a seat,” She smiled, watching her sit before beginning to gently brush out her yellow curls and pin the sides of them back off her face lightly. When she was happy with her work she reached into a drawer to pull out a mahogany box, opening the lid to reveal the silk ribbons inside. She chose a pretty pale blue one with white lace trim and gently tying it into a bow at the back of her hair.

”there you go. Pretty as a princess,” Katherine commented happily, looking at Emily and herself in the mirror. what are you doing, Katherine? she scolded herself. She knew she couldn’t, but she was attached to Emily. She knew how it felt to live music but to have society expect something different. But this little girl without a mother, her heart held a warm place for her - ”you can keep the ribbon.”

Emily thought that this was the nicest room she’s ever been to. In fact, she decided as she settled into the seat as instructed, *this is exactly how I want my room to be when I’m a lady too.

Katherine’s nimble fingers in her hair felt wonderful, and Emily felt herself remarkably pretty when shown her new image in the mirror. Her eyes met Katherine’s through the looking glass. “Thank you” she said gleefully. Her hand touched her hair carefully, so that she does not disturb the new arrangement. She slid one finger cautiously along the silk ribbon. “It’s so very nice”.

“Papa! Papa!” she ran into her father’s study. “Look how pretty”.

Edward caught her in his arms, hugging her before remembering again that his mother said he’d not to indulge her affectionate behavior anymore. He released her and stepped back. It was so hard not to get caught up in one of her infectious good moods. “You are pretty,” he agreed. “But that’s hardly news, is it?”

Emily shook her head. “No! My hair. Lady Katherine did it for me. she gave me her ribbon too, she said I can keep it”.

“Did she?” he murmured, looking at the bow tied in his daughter’s hair. “How kind of her”.

“She said yellow’s not a good color for my new Paris dresses,” his daughter informed him. “I should buy blue or pink. I’ll tell grandmama and if…” she chattered excitedly, but Edward had lost his focus. His mind went back to their walk in the garden, and the feeling of Katherine’s arm against his. Their last goodbye had been so chilly, and still she had not let that stop her from showing such great kindness to his daughter.

How, he wondered, can one not love a woman like that?

“Your mood seems better,” Katherine mother said to her as they sat together, Katherine blinking up at her with a small nod before she smiled to herself and went back to her book.
“Have anything to do with Emily Rutherford?”
”she has no mother. And is innocent to the world. I am helping her. It makes me feel good,” Katherine stated

Katherine really wondered though if Edward had been impressed by how happy she made her daughter. She thought and could imagine the beaming smile on Emily’s face as she bounded in to show him her hair and the ribbon. That made her smile widen. Her mother noticed but said nothing, merely smiling as well.

”does he plan to take an interest in courting Beatrice?” Katherine asked her mother sadly. The woman looked at her a long moment before shaking her head.
“No. I actually thought he would be asking permission to court you. But it hasn’t happened. So I wonder why he’s being so reluctant,” the lady commented, making Katherine feel her heart leap a bit. He was interested in her?

-

Paris. In the summer, it was filled with all kinds of people from all walks of life. The Highborne the low born and everything in between. Katherine found her family here every year since she could remember. Her grandmother loved the season so much that she would drag them all off to Paris to watch every single ballet, opera, and performance that she could think of. Of course, there was an Alterio motive behind it. To find the females of the family a suitable husband that they could be married often. Katherine had never manage to find such a person.

Katherine was hoping though that she might run into Edward and Emily. She did miss them terribly. As she sat on the balcony of her family’s summer home, her hair done up and the soft jade colour of her dress making her hair glow, she wondered if Emily was having a good time. Or of, just maybe, Edward might be taking her to the piano concert she was hosting tonight. She just wanted to have him hear her play the song she had written.

When she lost the ribbon Katherine had gifted her, Emily was almost inconsolable. The maids of the house were recruited to turn it upside down. The footmen - to search the gardens where she played. Laundry was spread and refolded, pockets empty, nonexistent gypsies suspected. Dorothea brought her six new ribbons to choose from and her grandmother relented to only buying dresses who received lady Wytherine’s approval for color and cut, to cheer up the unhappy child.

Edward felt dreadful. And still he did not give the ribbon back. It had been tucked into his breast pocket and there it stayed, out of sight. Over his heart.

The first two days of their visit to Paris he dedicated to his daughter. They’d made a list of Paris’ sights and she chose the ones she was most curious about. It was a wonderous thing, seeing the city through the eyes of a child. One afternoon as they were taking a long, leisurely walk along the Seine River, she asked him if he ever thought about remarrying.

“I’ve thought about it,” Edward answered carefully. “Why do you ask?”

Emily shrugged. “I want you to be happy”.

“Do you want a new mother?” he asked. “Someone who can help you grow up to be a proper young lady?”

“I have Lady Katherine for that,” she pointed out.

“I don’t know…” Edward was careful with his words. His mind recalled their last conversation in painful detail. “One day she’ll marry and might not have time anymore”.

“Is she too old for George?”

Edward laughed. “Your cousin? Emily, what are you thinking? He’s fifteen…!”

“But he’s so tall”

“He’s still fifteen. And it’ll be a while yet before he needs a wife. By then Lady Katherine will have long been settled in a happy marriage of her own”. The thought was painful, but he best get used to it.

They were going to the concert that night, the one hosted by the Wytherines. Emily had been over the moon about it, it’ll be her first time seeing her beloved teacher play for a crowd. Edward, more reserved. Still, he had promised. He’ll just have to make it through the event.

There would be a crowd there, he knew. And French suitors a plenty for Katherine, he supposed as well. The French weren’t as rigid as the English when it came to neither her age nor her pursuit of a career in music. Rumors circled about a few of them that have been vying for her attention. The marquess’ second son being the most prominent one he’s heard of. Edward met him and instantly disliked the fellow, but he supposed he could see what a woman might find appealing. He was young, handsome and charming. Edward was none of those.

"Please inform the marquess that I am in no mood to entertain her right now," Katherine had remembered saying. She had been turned down most approaching suitors. The son of the marquess was being persistent. But she didn't want to see him. She didn't want to see any man. She was determined now that if she weren't to love a man, she would dedicate to music instead. Her mind could not escape Edward and the bitter way that they had parted had effected their relationship irreparably.

"My lady. They're ready for you."
She turned and looked at the young lady who had been serving her whilst she prepared backstage. Nodding, she looked at herself in the mirror before standing. This was the only day she dared wear a pale colour, the white gown trimmed in pale green ribbon and lace. her hair was half up and half down, the curls pinned aside off her face and sparkling with precious gem-tipped pins. At her throat, a triple strand of pearls sat.

Stepping out onto the stage, she could not make out faces in the dark as she went to sit at the piano. As normal, she played a few of the well known classics. A few waltzes. But then, as the concert neared the end she reached the piece she had written herself. The sad romantic tune drifted out on the keys into the room, and all Katheirne hoped was that it reached Edward, if he was here. That he understood that this piece was for him.

Emily wanted to sit in the front, but for once her father put his foot down. He was glad that he did, for when Katherine came on stage the mere sight of her took his breath away. She looked, in white, so much like a bride.

He clenched and unclenched his fists, forcing himself to remine still when the only thing he wanted to do was leave. Lady Katherine’s eyes swept the room, Looking for a beloved face, no doubt, he thought. They settled on no one, the darkened hall not allowing much room for recognition. Then she took her seat and at least he was spared her face.

She played beautifully, and he found that it was easier to put aside his personal torment and let the music sooth him. Next to him, he noticed Emily reacting to the music. When there were pieces she knew, her fingers danced on the air as if she was playing along with Lady Katherine. Otherwise, her pretty face clearly registered the emotions evoked in her by the melodies. Joy and sadness, elation and excitement. When has his little girl become such a profound, sensitive being?

In the end Lady Katherine played a new piece, one he’d never heard before. A murmur through the crowd named her the composer. The music was sweet with a touch of melancholy that plucked at his heartstrings far more strongly than he cared for. For some reason it made him think of their dance, though of course that had been to different music. But of the way they held each other and spun, the room disappearing around them...

He couldn’t bear it. If he could pluck Emily and carry her outside without protest, he would. If he could leave her there on her own, he’d leave the room. Instead he pursed his lips together into a tight line and waited, tortured, for the concert to be over.

Applause erupted when she was done. “Come on,” he told his daughter, quick to get to his feet. “We should leave”.

“I want to talk to Lady Katherine,” his daughter said. “I want to tell her I liked it”.

“She doesn’t have time for us” Edward said harshly. “Look,” he swept with his hand, gesturing at the many who rose to greet her. Several men among them, the young French noble among them.

“But…” her eyes searched for her teacher’s as her father pulled her away.

"Ah. Mr Rutherford," a voice called towards him, the crowds moving apart a little to let the woman who called to him through. Katherine's mother. She was elegant like a black swan, her hair dark and tied back off her face, diamonds glittering at her throat and her eyes considering him carefully. She gave a small nod of her head before looking at Emily as well.
"Miss Rutherford. My daughter has requested you join her for a brief word. Do follow me," she continued. The tone was friendly but it was not an invitation that could be refused. As she headed back through the crowd, Katherine was, begrudgingly, entertaining the men who were swamping her with compliments.

Of course, she was not interested in any of them. They were all hollow in her eyes. Even the marquess's son, who was doing his best to impress her. As she saw her mother approach with Edward and Emily following in tow she excused herself politely before going over to meet them, bending down a little to smile first at Emily, smiling happily. I had been a while since they had seen each other and she had missed her.
"Hello Miss Rutherford," she said through her smile, "don't you look like a precious, little lady in your new dress," Katherine continued, gently moving one of the blonde curls off her face so see the girl better before she stood, looking at Edward. There were no words for a long moment before she curtsied deeply, "it is good to see you again, Mr Rutherford. I hope you have been well."

Not seeing any other choice, Edward reluctantly followed Mrs. Wytherine. Emily slid her hand into his. She seemed to find the older woman a little intimidating. I do too, he wanted to whisper.

Katherine was surrounded by well wishers. Most of them men, most of the men – French. Edward pulled on his stoniest expression but that façade weakened somewhat when the star of tonight’s show bent her knees so she can meet his daughter’s eyes.

“You were ever so good, Lady Wytherine” his daughter said with excitement. “I never wanted it to end”. She swelled with pride when complimented on her appearance. She was quite proud of it, although she wished she had her tutor’s white ribbon for her hair.

Then Katherine greeted him, and Edward gave a tight nod with his head. “I have” he said. “You as well, I trust”. He thought he needed to add something about the concert or be considered rude, but the only words that came to him were superlatives that she’s been hearing so far and probably sounded much better with a French accent. “Thank you for inviting us” he said instead.

Katherine nodded at his comment, offering a faint smile - “but of course. It was a pleasure. I was hoping you’d join me for tea tomorrow. If you’d like. Emily is invited as well,” she said through her smile.

Of course, she wanted time alone to speak with him. But that wasn’t going to happen. She could feel the tension between them.

“That is, of course, if you have no other commitments.”

“I’m afraid that’s quite impossible” Edward said. The thought of coming for tea and seeing her with one of her suitors was galling. Even now he saw them waiting in a cluster until she finished greeting her admiring student and her father. The fact none of them spared him more then the briefest of glances cut deep. They saw no reason for concern. No competition. “Besides, I’m sure I’ll… we’ll only be interrupting.”

“Will Lady Beatrice be there?” Emily chimed in. She wanted to spend more time with her beloved idol, and her father was getting in the way.

Edward was confused as to why that would make a difference and made a note to ask his daughter about it later. It would not change his answer, of course. Unwittingly, his fingers slid into his breast pocket to touch the white ribbon hidden there. It would have suited what she wore now, he thought.

“My cousin is out with the Viscount Delagney,” Katherine said to Emily, her face falling sadly before she nodded to Edward. She knew it. He no longer wanted to see her. It looked like he could barely stand to be near her now. Her heart broke at the realisation.

“Of course. You must have work to be doing here in Paris,” Katherine said softly, “I wish you luck in your affairs, Mr Rutherford.”

"And you with yours," Edward said, sparing her suitors another glance. He was eager to get away. It was not her fault that she wasn't interested in him, and still he felt resentment flood him. Had she meant to give him hope? Be the first woman to make the memory of his late wife fade to the background? He didn't think her cruel. She's only doing what she is supposed to, he reminded himself. Finding a good match, which you are not. "Come, Emily, let's go".

He took his daughter's hand in his and they left. "Mon Chéri..." he heard before they were even out the door. It made him hurry his steps, Emily needing to run to keep up.

The next morning was a miserable one, for all. For the first time since they arrived, Emily's father left her alone in their hotel suite. With her travel governess, of course, a woman she disliked and barely understood. Edward thought the trip would be a good opportunity for Emily to practice her French, and so hired a French governess who spoke both languages, and that met them when they arrived. Through either a misunderstanding or great exaggeration on her part, it soon became clear that Geneviève's grasp of the English language was tenuous at best. Edward spoke it fluently, so it was not a big problem when he was around, but on her own with the woman and the child became frustrated quite quickly. They finally retired to their sperate corners, each with a book. At least her father joined them for lunch.

"Can we go see the gardens this afternoon?" she asked, picking at her plate. French food was awful, in her opinion.

"What's that? Oh, no..." Edward was distracted. "I have business at the bank".

"But... what am I supposed to do in the meantime?"

"Go for a walk in the gardens like you wanted, with Geneviève"

"She doesn't speak any English!"

"Then practice your French, Emily Rose! Like you're meant to!" her father said curtly and she knew that was it. There would be no more conversation. He would not budge.

And, as she thought, nothing more was said. No compromise offered. After lunch he read his papers, and then kissed her on the top of the head and headed out the door, giving orders in rapid French that she doubted Geneviève listened to or would obey. Emily had been under the care of enough maids to know that, language aside, she knew a lazy one when she saw her.

Fine! she thought angrily. If he didn't want to spend time with her, she knew someone who did. She waited until Geneviève was distracted by her book again, and slipped out, leaving the door to the suite ajar so that she won't be heard leaving. She made herself down the stairs in a hurry, and asked the man in the funny hat at the front door to stop a carriage for her.

He might not want to, but she was headed to the Wytherine's for tea.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Across a Crowded Room [Victorian Era 1x1/Group RP]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus