Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Hello...? I guess... um

Hi I'm Tash
I want to get more into roleplaying... Used to do a bit here and there but I'm finding it really hard to find a site with RPing that has a post in the last month (+that is interesting). This is a really cool site, if only I could find an active RP to join? Kinda open to anything, I love animals and medieval/ancient/tribe stuff. I prefer small group RP to 1x1... I wouldn't mind making a RP group with some others, I have loads of ideas for plots and characters.
I need to improve my writing skills as well *hates school* but this seems like a fun way

I like drawing too, would be nice to digitally paint a character that I roleplay I dunno? Checked out the art forum, got scared because some of those people are scary good!

Tbh, I'm really lost and don't really know what I'm writing. N00b syndrome I think, should clear up in a few days...?";
Wow. This is literally my exact case. But hello. I'd like to hear some of your ideas for sure. I may even share mine.
Tash Topic Starter

Hello! Well okay...

One of my ideas for a tribe scene is basically set in modern day but in an isolated part of the world. The characters (main) go off hunting for a few days, and go back to camp to find the absolute slaughter of their fellow tribe members. The small group runs away from the camp, scared that the killers are still lurking and they end up bumping into a small group of them. They are from the modern world who capture the characters to take them into the new world.
So yeah, I prefer RP if we just make the rest of the story as we go along.

I'm not the best at writing, sorry!
Kim Site Admin

Welcome to the site! You are doing fine with writing so far, don't worry, and I'm certain you'll improve as time goes on since it is a goal you are paying attention to. Kudos for that, by the by!

Let me see if I can clarify a bit about how to find RP here. :) The site itself is intended to be a sort of omni-forum, that is a welcoming place for people who like any type of RP. So there is a huuuuuge range in terms of specific play styles and game rules. Because we have such a huge range, there's a ton of ways to find RP. The sheer number of options can make your head spin at first, but bear with me! I'll try to talk you through them all. :)

There are many "rooms" or topics that people have started as generally stand-alone stories in the three public RP forums, better known as Fantasy RP, General RP and Sci-Fi RP. You might find one labeled "Open," which means that it's okay to join, although most will still usually ask before joining just to make sure the topic is still open to all.

That said, it's more common for people to start in either the Looking for RP forum, where people post "want ads" for players and characters that will suit their RP, or to hit up the RP Finder. What's the difference? The RP Finder only lists game concepts from people who have been online and active in the last 10 minutes, so if you feel that you need to start a scene right this very second and can't possibly wait a day or two for someone to come back online, The RP Finder gadget is most likely to pair you up with someone who is ready to roll this second. If you want to spend more time planning and plotting with someone, combing through characters until you find exactly the right match, the forum is your best bet.

Finally, there are groups. Groups are most often used by those with exacting requirements for settings, character creation, etc., because groups allows them to write out their story's rules, history, environment, and everything else you need to know to integrate beautifully into the unfolding world on a mini-site, and carry out the RP on their own private forums just for their setting. Because they have all these resources devoted to their one story, and not jumbled in with everything else, groups tend to be the most likely place for long-term continuity play, where every action a character takes becomes part of the world's history forever and ever.

You can find groups here: http://www.rprepository.com/group/browsegroups.php Although I warn that we are still in the process of setting up good ways to search for a group, so it can be a little bit needle-in-a-haystack to just start browsing through the entire list of groups. Groups often recruit from the Looking for RP forums, however, and sometimes even show up in the RP Finder if they are configured to do so, so the above options I mentioned are still totally valid. :)

If I were you, I would pop into the Looking for RP forum tonight and make it known what kind of RP you are looking for, and see if any groups want to recruit you, or any interested souls take you up on it as individuals. You could even post your own ideas for RPs, since it seems that you are overflowing with good thoughts!

Please do let me know if you have any other questions, concerns or problems! I won't mind helping. :)
Hello Tash! Welcome to RPR! :) Don't worry about being new to writing, everyone had to start somewhere! I hope you're having fun and making lots of new friends!
Tash Topic Starter

Thankyou for the welcomes! :D And the information is really useful Kim, thanks. Will post in the 'Looking for RP' soon, but I may have just got involved in a roleplay through 'Find RP'. I'll see how everything goes :D
Good luck :)
Kim Site Admin

Tash wrote:
Thankyou for the welcomes! :D And the information is really useful Kim, thanks. Will post in the 'Looking for RP' soon, but I may have just got involved in a roleplay through 'Find RP'. I'll see how everything goes :D

EXCITING! :D

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Hello...? I guess... um

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus