Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: 10+ years working with dementia patients

I've worked with the elderly demographic in all stages of various dementias, including Alzheimer's disease, for a little over 10 years now. I've seen these patients in just about every capacity and in clinical acute/hospital, long-term, and home care settings.

Ask me anything you're curious about! I bet I have an answer. 😊
Luscinioide

What are the thoughts on Aduhelm in your field? I know there's a lot of faith being put into it by folks hailing it as 'the next big step in progress' towards Alzheimer's treatment, but I was curious as to how people who actually work with patients with Alzheimer's view it. Hopeful? Not that big of a deal? Doubtful that anyone will ever work with patients treated with Aduhelm because it's $56k a year?
Summer Topic Starter

Saturninum wrote:
What are the thoughts on Aduhelm in your field? I know there's a lot of faith being put into it by folks hailing it as 'the next big step in progress' towards Alzheimer's treatment, but I was curious as to how people who actually work with patients with Alzheimer's view it. Hopeful? Not that big of a deal? Doubtful that anyone will ever work with patients treated with Aduhelm because it's $56k a year?

I want to be hopeful! You're right, though, and especially for me and healthcare professionals like me working in the US - BIG "maybe" for if we'll ever see it become commonplace in our Alzheimer's patients since the US is a capitalist hell! But that's just how it feels right now! The fact that they've actually gotten these results is a huge deal IMHO, but I can't help but be conservative with my excitement over it. I hope, hope that it becomes more mainstream, but I have so little faith in this country as it is, so I'm not 100% sure yet.
Can you tell, with your experience, when an elderly person you interact with probably has demensia? If so, what are some telltale signs? What are some things that many of these patients do that doesn't make it into the typical lists on WebMD and the like?

What's the best thing for calming people with it down when they're disoriented and angry?

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: 10+ years working with dementia patients

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus