Skip to main content

Forums » Help » How can I add an icon to a character? (Answered)

artio

Hello everyone!

I've seen a few adding icon questions, but they haven't answered my particular questions.

How can I add an icon to a character? Do I need to pay for this service or is the option hidden under another menu?

Also, I have a general art question.

How does the site handle art from programs or websites such as ArtBreeder? Can it be uploaded with credit?
For a character icon, either go to Your Stuff > Characters and click the right edit button for the character in question, or go to the character's page, click the edit button in the top bar, then click the character's name in the header text line "Your Stuff » Characters » [Character Name] » Edit Profile." Either of these will take you to that character's general edit menu. Click on the square where the icon goes (grey question mark by default) and that will take you to the icon uploader. Choose the file from your device (try to use an image as close to 95x95 px as possible for best results). Adjust it to fit the part you want to show into the central box in the square to the right. Hit upload icon, and now it should display. No payment needed. :)

Getting permission to display art and always crediting the creator/rights owner of the art (even if that's not required by that image's permissions) is always very much encouraged. The gallery widget even has a space to put this info, though it won't always show it, so a lot of people add a separate credit and link in a text widget. I don't recall what ArtBreeder's usage terms are offhand, but since different sources will have different terms anyway, it's always good to check. Sometimes there will be a specific individual who can be put down as the creator (as with many doll makers, most images from stock image sites, etc), while others it'll be only be the site as a whole you can mention (I think ArtBreeder fits here, as do things like HeroForge, etc, where all resources belong to a company rather than individuals).

The main thing to watch for with ArtBreeder is that art uploaded by people who have no right to do so can end up incorporated into its system. I don't know if they try to weed that out or (more likely) assume good faith effort from users to not do that, with statements in their terms to legally protect themselves but not their users.
artio Topic Starter

Zelphyr - Thank you for the explanation.

Yes, I understand TOS/copyright, my day job is in the legal profession. I just wanted to make sure based off the terms of RP Repository it would be ok to upload with credit. Only due to the credit system here being a bit different than say TH or DA.

I did find the TOS for ArtBreeder: https://www.artbreeder.com/terms.pdf
Image Ownership and Intellectual Property
• Each Artbreeder image is owned by the user who created that image.
• You agree to license any images you create on Artbreeder under the Creative
Commons CC0 license. This effectively releases any image you create on Artbreeder
into the public domain. Such images may be used by anyone for any purpose, with
or without attribution. If you use another user’s image, please consider providing
attribution in the form of a link to the image’s lineage pag

There are also the other terms mentioned - but that is more legal process jargon yadda yadda. Where yes, the creators of ArtBreeder trust that users upload what they own and are giving blanket permission for others to use with the algorithm.

Every site assumes good faith until the artist in question with ownership rights files DMCA. (Not counting automatic flagging systems)
Awesome! You're sure to know how it works a lot better than me, then! :D

But yeah, basic thing here is you can display any image that:
  1. You have permission to display and credit appropriately (lot of folks don't, or don't understand how crediting works in general, and it's more than Kim or the mods can keep up with unless presented with evidence of wrongdoing)
  2. Does not contain content that conflicts with RPR's rules; NSFW stuff has to be kept behind a content warning that minors can't get past, content can't be itself illegal in the US (sexualization of minors, for example), and doesn't fall into the realm of real-world bigotry

So it's pretty wide open, just tries to be a little more responsible than some places.

You are on: Forums » Help » How can I add an icon to a character? (Answered)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus