Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Anyone Still around?

Luscinioide

Controversial opinion, but yes, the site is extraordinarily inactive compared to what it was 3-4 years ago. I mean. It's not really an opinion as much as it is an observation of my own and of friends, but still. I think a large part of that is because there's no incentive to do forum RP over DMs. I used to do my RPs in the public forums all the time but the language filter got too annoying to deal with so I just stopped. 🤷And, well, with no forum RP, a forum-based RP site is gonna look extremely dead.

I personally use the site only as a place to store my characters so I can reference them on other sites. Kinda like a glorified toyhou.se, I guess. Lots of the 'active' people seem to be here for the same reason. My style of RP is far too niche for such a small community (shit, there's only like a dozen of us novella dystopian sapphic writers on RPN and that's a site with hundreds of people online lmao) so I gave up on the LFRP section a few years back.

You'll notice that it's mainly the same gang of people who are actually active. If you can get along with them, cool, you can probably wiggle your way into writing with some mutuals that way. If not? Probably going to have a rough time finding anyone to write with. God help you if you do any obscure genres, though. I can't tell you the last time I saw a sci-fi ad around here...
Saturninum wrote:
Controversial opinion, but yes, the site is extraordinarily inactive compared to what it was 3-4 years ago. I mean. It's not really an opinion as much as it is an observation of my own and of friends, but still. I think a large part of that is because there's no incentive to do forum RP over DMs. I used to do my RPs in the public forums all the time but the language filter got too annoying to deal with so I just stopped. 🤷And, well, with no forum RP, a forum-based RP site is gonna look extremely dead.

I personally use the site only as a place to store my characters so I can reference them on other sites. Kinda like a glorified toyhou.se, I guess. Lots of the 'active' people seem to be here for the same reason. My style of RP is far too niche for such a small community (shit, there's only like a dozen of us novella dystopian sapphic writers on RPN and that's a site with hundreds of people online lmao) so I gave up on the LFRP section a few years back.

You'll notice that it's mainly the same gang of people who are actually active. If you can get along with them, cool, you can probably wiggle your way into writing with some mutuals that way. If not? Probably going to have a rough time finding anyone to write with. God help you if you do any obscure genres, though. I can't tell you the last time I saw a sci-fi ad around here...

I still stand by that I have had the most amazing time with the most amazing writers ever in this website but as of recent both things you mentioned have compiled into me losing faith of finding rps on this site. You echoed my same issues with the public forums having to be filtered, even in adult only so not much else to say there.

And you can find a RP within a matter of minutes if you know what sort of rp the vast majority would love and that’s the issue, I hate those rps lol. I tested it out once, I had two rps up at a time.

One was an RP that I actually wanted to do, centered around an 80s neon soaked blood bath where your characters become involved in some brainwashing murder cult that they are trying to break free from while being harassed by other animal mask wearing psychopaths

The other, was a 1940s mafioso RP with a emphasis on a romance plot. I didn’t make that plot because I wanted to but more or less out of obligation. Like I was throwing a bone to the public saying, “okay I keep coming up with weird ideas that lean into surreal and sci fi and I NEVER get any bites so here’s an RP I know will get some response.”

That RP got seven reply backs. The other, well I’m still looking to this day. I had one person join, and they were fantastic and perfect for the role, and then they ghosted me.
Aye, it feels like romance or smut is a requirement to start up a roleplay on this website and it can get pretty toxic at times too. I just personally don't want to engage with threads where it's a requirement and the main focus of the roleplay. Some people actually have some really fun and neat ideas and then disregard all of it for the romance aspect.

People can enjoy what they enjoy and do whatever they want, that's fine. But it makes non-romantic threads petty much dead before they're even created. Not exactly a formula for longevity, but that's also not the websites fault, that just seems to be what people eventually default to after a roleplay site has been alive for so long. I've seen it happen a few times and it feels like as an rp site is bleeding out they're always the last ones still there.
RoundTableKing wrote:
Aye, it feels like romance or smut is a requirement to start up a roleplay on this website and it can get pretty toxic at times too. I just personally don't want to engage with threads where it's a requirement and the main focus of the roleplay. Some people actually have some really fun and neat ideas and then disregard all of it for the romance aspect.

People can enjoy what they enjoy and do whatever they want, that's fine. But it makes non-romantic threads petty much dead before they're even created. Not exactly a formula for longevity, but that's also not the websites fault, that just seems to be what people eventually default to after a roleplay site has been alive for so long. I've seen it happen a few times and it feels like as an rp site is bleeding out they're always the last ones still there.

Yeah being that I recently became married I don’t want to do anything like that. Add that onto wanting to RP with people 18 and up, and my pool is very limited and it’s not just this website it’s most of them, even discord. Actually, especially discord. So it’s an uphill battle for me either way however, again, I have had my best rps and writing partners on here. It is takes a long time seemingly to get one, and even when you do get one they may end up going away before things really got to take form, but that hope that the next great one is just around the corner keeps me going on this site more than any others
Luscinioide

The only way to sustainably rp these days anywhere is to find one solid partner and stick with them. 🤷‍♀️ Beats trying to scavenge in dying sites or outpace the hordes of kids who just got home from school on the active one. Regardless of where you go, the statistics are not in your favor...I'd say probably 1 in 20 RPs will last long-term.

I've got the two I know that I can just walk up and slam whatever random BS down on the table, and have an RP running with either of them within a week. One has mutuals that they sent my way. It's an underrated privilege that spares me from the depressing cycle of 'post ad, get bites, have several of bites go nowhere, get two rps, have those two rps stagnate, etc.' Seriously. Find someone. force them Have them become your permanent long-term RP partner and you'll never have to deal with the LFRP dance again.

...or maybe im just getting too old and cranky to deal with randoms anymore for rp who knows lmao
Saturninum wrote:
The only way to sustainably rp these days anywhere is to find one solid partner and stick with them. 🤷‍♀️ Beats trying to scavenge in dying sites or outpace the hordes of kids who just got home from school on the active one. Regardless of where you go, the statistics are not in your favor...I'd say probably 1 in 20 RPs will last long-term.

I've got the two I know that I can just walk up and slam whatever random BS down on the table, and have an RP running with either of them within a week. One has mutuals that they sent my way. It's an underrated privilege that spares me from the depressing cycle of 'post ad, get bites, have several of bites go nowhere, get two rps, have those two rps stagnate, etc.' Seriously. Find someone. force them Have them become your permanent long-term RP partner and you'll never have to deal with the LFRP dance again.

...or maybe im just getting too old and cranky to deal with randoms anymore for rp who knows lmao

I used to have those people but they have left, I got one really cool guy still at least but I would like to have one or two more, so I’ve been out handing out business cards again haha
JonathanBlackgate Topic Starter

MangoNekros wrote:
I'm here for like 8 hours a day and even then i'm chugging along on 1 rp. If anyone wants to rp i'd be more then happy to fill my empty rp well

I have a real heavy role play addiction and my needs are not being met here lately....I don't have a job or anything and am free all day everyday...unless I sleep all day that day or something...but I need people to actively RP with...RP buddies for sure. I mostly RP on Discord, like a lot of people...but if I can learn to use this site and get some members for a half decent RP then that'd be perfect. If you need some RP in your life then we could see about RPing together.
JonathanBlackgate Topic Starter

SparksFly wrote:
JonathanBlackgate wrote:
So, does anyone on this site still even role play? I've had two groups open for a while now and not even one person has joined even though they are set to public, so it makes me wonder if this website is even active.

I’ve been on this site for a bit and it’s always active, a few recurring users spotted but always new folks to. I would say my issue is that maybe 70 precent or more rpers that I see here are either rping one of these three;

Fandoms

Anime

Slice of life/school/school, but there’s a twist

And on top of that, usually not as literate as me giving short and quick responses.

There is nothing wrong with this, I believe in everyone having their fun and there was a time that I also rped like that when I was younger. But the issue stems from that I absolutely do not RP like that and I often strive for unique and original ideas, and rping with folks who are detailed and literate in their responses. But, not just in this website but on nearly every site I’ve been to, those sort of parameters are really hard to come by. It has almost made me given up on rping more then once because I get unmotivated opening up my inbox and seeing 0 messages because nobody wants to try out my rps, and I can’t find any RP that I want to be in lol. And it makes me feel like the place is inactive when in reality, I’m just searching for what must be a diamond in the rough.

I can't say I'm very literate these days but at one point in my life I used to do Novella, we're talking five page long entrance posts and all that...but these days when I start an RP server or something I only ask that people do a minimum of 1-2 paragraphs and a maximum of about one page but state that they can do more than that. I'd like to see you in action some day though, and I usually do Scifi mor Medieval Fantasy...sometimes a combination of everything.
JonathanBlackgate wrote:
SparksFly wrote:
JonathanBlackgate wrote:
So, does anyone on this site still even role play? I've had two groups open for a while now and not even one person has joined even though they are set to public, so it makes me wonder if this website is even active.

I’ve been on this site for a bit and it’s always active, a few recurring users spotted but always new folks to. I would say my issue is that maybe 70 precent or more rpers that I see here are either rping one of these three;

Fandoms

Anime

Slice of life/school/school, but there’s a twist

And on top of that, usually not as literate as me giving short and quick responses.

There is nothing wrong with this, I believe in everyone having their fun and there was a time that I also rped like that when I was younger. But the issue stems from that I absolutely do not RP like that and I often strive for unique and original ideas, and rping with folks who are detailed and literate in their responses. But, not just in this website but on nearly every site I’ve been to, those sort of parameters are really hard to come by. It has almost made me given up on rping more then once because I get unmotivated opening up my inbox and seeing 0 messages because nobody wants to try out my rps, and I can’t find any RP that I want to be in lol. And it makes me feel like the place is inactive when in reality, I’m just searching for what must be a diamond in the rough.

I can't say I'm very literate these days but at one point in my life I used to do Novella, we're talking five page long entrance posts and all that...but these days when I start an RP server or something I only ask that people do a minimum of 1-2 paragraphs and a maximum of about one page but state that they can do more than that. I'd like to see you in action some day though, and I usually do Scifi mor Medieval Fantasy...sometimes a combination of everything.

I get that, I used to take up an entire page with my writing but I stopped, I always feel like I have an obligation to give every post my all and basically write a whole chapter but I think I was turning people away and burning myself out. I need to give an ample amount of things for my partner to respond with and not hog up so much of the story, and to not make them feel like they need to stack up to my performance. With that said I think I still easily do five paragraphs on a normal post lol, and my intro post can be an -abusive amount of words- but I always make sure to let my partner know, “my intros are always maddening and I don’t know how to stop, don’t worry not every post will be this novella

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Anyone Still around?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus