Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Content warnings and age groups (solved)

I've read the existing help articles and they don't really specify what content warnings are visible to certain age groups. The sexual content one is straightfoward* but what about the ones for language and violence? I remember being able to see those before I turned 18 but that was a long time ago. How would I mark a character as not visible to minors for those other reasons? What are my options if, say, I had a custom content warning for an alcoholic character where in that situation there's no violence, language, or sexual content to check?
On that note I find that the help pages spend more word count clarifying the public vs private areas of RPR rather than actually explaining 'this setting does that' and I don't find it all that helpful, *for instance, I've been assuming for years that the check box for sexual content makes the character profile unviewable for minors but it doesn't actually say that anywhere.
Sanne Moderator

Content warnings (default ones and custom ones) are accessible to people of all ages (which is why custom content warnings must be relatively PG-13 and can't be overly detailed). This is because none of these tags indicate by default that something isn't allowed to be seen by a minor, rather they're there to ensure people who are exposed to the content knowingly consented to it. It's not illegal for a minor to see nipples, for example; it's legal in plenty of places, since nipples are not inherently sexual in all contexts. As such, content warnings exist to ensure consent is given before one is exposed to it, before anything else.

In order to limit a character from not being seen by minors entirely, you can go to your character's settings, and under "Profile Visibility" select "Only logged in users in my age group". This is separate from the content warnings though, and content warnings are still required for people in your age group for comfort reasons.

I hope this helps! :)
Lucidus Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
In order to limit a character from not being seen by minors entirely, you can go to your character's settings, and under "Profile Visibility" select "Only logged in users in my age group". This is separate from the content warnings though, and content warnings are still required for people in your age group for comfort reasons.

I hope this helps! :)
That'll do it, thanks a lot.

You are on: Forums » Help » Content warnings and age groups (solved)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus