Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC; Sci-Fi Steampunk Robot!

Hello! I'm looking for ideas for a Sci-Fi OC that can fit in with steampunk themes! I think it would be cool if it was some kind of war robot or combat automaton who broke free of his programming and works as an adventurer/hired gun. I'm thinking he's probably going to be male so he can seem a little unfriendlier on the surface.
Maybe the robot was originally made for combat and war, but after breaking free, he now prefers to work as a guardian to protect a certain area? Perhaps a temple, the home of a person/people who is important to him, or some organization. Maybe the people or person he works to protect is the one that helped him break free from his programming in some way?
Alternate idea is that he's more of a freelance search and rescue guy. Tired of senseless killing and instead wants to help others who are in danger.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Maybe he has been around for a while, so his chassis has lots of damage. He could even be kinda patchwork, with different metals to replace parts that couldn't be repaired, to represent the fact that he couldn't go back to his creator for servicing (given that he broke free of his programming).
I also like the idea that he's been around for a while, perhaps a long time even. He's an old thing from when some of the first generations of combat bots were employed for war instead of humans (or they fought alongside humans). But he was damaged during a war and wasn't found again. Years later (many perhaps?), he's found in a field underneath sand and dirt by a farmer who has recently bought the old place for him and his two small daughters after his wife died. His wife was killed by a robot. When they discover the old bot, which starts functioning again after it has been recovered some, the farmer wants rid of it. The bot can't speak because he's an old model, only do some few deep robot beep-boop sounds (which also makes him appear less friendly due to lack of communication). However, he's not the same war machine anymore because of the damage he's taken and the years he's been buried in the ground. He's genuinely confused.

Thanks to the daughters, the bot gets to stay and help out on the farm, where he's taught manners and how to be kind and gentle with the animals. They also name him. The farmer never gets truly fond of having the robot around, never trusting it, until the very end when another war breaks loose and the farm is hit by a missile, and the lands are invaded by robots (newer generation). The farmer is beyond saving, but in his last moments he asks the bot to flee with his daughters, so that's what they do. They live far away from any city, though. During their escape he loses both girls, but he restores his combat mode.

Design-wise he's a broad and bulky fella, an outdated robot. He's got scratches and rusty colors here and there. Compared to newer robots, he's incredibly sturdy though, but much less agile.
KingDragon Topic Starter

Trimalchio, I loved that beginning to end. I only have three responses here, but I can already see the big guy coming to life!
I love the idea that in a steampunk, sci-fi setting, the sentient robot uses old debris and machinery to repair itself; perhaps this is on earth (or whatever planet it calls it's home), or even in space. Once a shiny new piece of war tech, now old exhausts, cogs and hydraulics work in function to make the age-old fellow move.

With a logical/ binary mindset, it struggles to utilise compassion or emotion and is still clumsy in such areas despite continuing to learn.

Perhaps it has adopted a 'personality type' after downloading an old action/war film, with an iconic actor or character? I'd imagine this could really help to form his personality, adding a touch of humour or badassery to him, depending on which direction you wanted to go in.
KingDragon wrote:
Trimalchio, I loved that beginning to end. I only have three responses here, but I can already see the big guy coming to life!

Thank you, thank you.
I'm excited to see how he turns out.
KingDragon Topic Starter

Alright, SO-
I have the backstory set up as of right now, but anything new that comes along can be added in if it can be! Thank you all so, SO much!
BDOP89 Inquisitor-Class Atlas (played by KingDragon) Topic Starter

The earth shakes with a violent rumble as dirt shifts. What was once a hill now ruptures into a massive, heavily-armed mecha warrior, slowly drawing itself towards its full 7 meter height. The gentle moonlight shone down upon its damaged, battered, weathered hull, detailing battles of centuries past. Lights upon the shoulders, back, and even the main eye of the head set the landscape ablaze with the light of a quarter-million lumens. Looking somberly around at the green grass, and with creaking and groaning, the goliath slowly, surely, made its way to the horizon. Walking to the rising sun; something he has always known. And a robot like this? They never forget.

((Truly, truly, TRULY thank you all! I loved this event and I loved how the character turned out! All credit should be given! If you don't see your name, please speak up!"
Ooh, I think this guy's pretty cool! :D Good job!
KingDragon Topic Starter

Thanks so much LoreKeeper! Im pretty sure I gave you credit for everything, right?
KingDragon wrote:
Thanks so much LoreKeeper! Im pretty sure I gave you credit for everything, right?
Yeah, you did. :)

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC; Sci-Fi Steampunk Robot!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus