Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What are you favorite autumn baked goods?

Aardbei wrote:
Faedreamer wrote:
By the way, for people who don't know, pumpkin spice is not meant to contain actual pumpkin at all. It refers to the blend of spices that's used to make pumpkin pie (and other things of course.) I've heard that Starbucks got sued a couple of years ago, for not putting pumpkin in their pumpkin spice lattes; clearly the people who got mad about it didn't realize what pumpkin spice is. Sooo now the drink apparently has a tiny bit of real pumpkin in it, despite the fact that it should just be spices.

That... sounds like America, yeah.

Pumpkin spice, to my knowledge, is just 5 spices. Checking on Wikipedia, it looks like I'm correct, though I didn't know it didn't always contain allspice. I assumed that was its base ingredient, but apparently it doesn't always.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie_spice

Pretty sure they use this in carrot cake also?

I don't know if carrot cake contains real carrots either, haha.
Carrot cake definitely contains carrots. At least, the vast majority of the time; I can't speak for every single carrot cake ever made but generally speaking the carrots are a big part of it haha. I was told that it was originally created as a way to use up an excess of carrots that would have otherwise gone to waste? Can't guarantee that this is true though.
There are few things better than a pumpkin pie with whipped cream. It's not the sweetest, prettiest, or healthiest seasonal delight, but it is just really good. Humble but delicious.
fig

gosh do i love a good cream cheese pumpkin roll and cider donuts (and cold apple cider of course) and apple pie and carrot cake muffins and and and and--
Luscinioide

mmmyeah sounds like the perfect time of the year for what i have aptly named my "dump shit cake". is it fall themed? no, not really. unless heath is autumnal. is it delicious? yes.

buckle up, i did the math at some point and the nutritional facts are enough to make your primary care doctor start sweating bullets, but damn does this thing always get inhaled the second it's put on the table. i always make two cause its just that good

you gone need:
devil food cake mix (it tastes the same as made from scratch seriously don't bother)
tub'o coolwhip
can of condensed milk
jar of caramel sauce
bag of heath (or whatever toffee bits...just smash it into submission)

you gone do:
1) follow the instructions on your mix box. i don't care how many eggs it calls for. three. three is the magic number. let that bad boy cook until toothpick comes out clean, and then let it cook for another minute or two. don't ask why. just trust me and science. this will get soggy if you cook it until just done.
2) take 3/4 of the caramel sauce and the whole can of condensed milk. dump dat shit in a pot on low heat. warm it until it's mixed and able to be spread over your cake easily. you'll just know ok
3) while that's cookin' start poking holes in your cake. poke until you're satisfied. don't ask me what it's supposed to look like just poke.
4) dump dat mixture evenly over your cake. also have you set your coolwhip out yet? no? thats ok i never do it either and then scramble to thaw it in time
5) let your cake cool to room temperature. no not slightly warm. room temperature. i've made 10 of these and let me tell you, if you get impatient and try to proceed while it's even so much as slightly warm it's going to be ugly
6) ok NOW you can do the thing. dump your coolwhip on there and spread it out. make it as pretty as you can make processed milk-derivative-product look.
7) dump ya heath/ambiguous toffee bits on there
8) remember the rest of that caramel sauce? you better have not thrown it away. cause now you're gonna ~drizzle~ whatever's left over your cake.
9) congrats you've made your dump shit cake. good as it looks and smells, the fruits of your labor will have to wait until tomorrow, don't try eating it until it's chilled at least overnight. it will be a soppy gooey mess otherwise and you will cry
My favorite fall food would have to be either pumpkin or pecan pie.
Collapsed

Sanne wrote:
Dawnia wrote:
Sanne wrote:
I'm SUPER DUPER stoked for fall this year. Summer was absolutely miserable for me, and fall will be the change I need in my life. I'm also excited about baking tasty fall goodies again!

So first: what are your favorite autumn specific baked goods? I want to know all about them, and pictures with recipes would be FANTASTIC!!

One of my favorite baked goodies during the autumn and winter seasons are speculaasjes. (Speculaas cookies, not to be confused with speculoos, which is similar but different!)

Speculaas image and recipe

The cookies traditionally look like this and are made with a speculaas-specific mold:

5576891f-2b5b-11e8-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

They're "a type of spiced shortcrust biscuit baked with speculaas spices" and are extremely traditional in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Speculaas spices are very similar to pumpkin spice/gingerbread cookies to my knowledge, so if you like those, you'll love these!

Speculaas spices
2-5 tablespoons ground cinnamon to taste
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground dried mandarin zest (optional)

Speculaas cookies:
250 grams all-purpose flour (if you can use bread flour for the higher gluten content)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2-3 tablespoons speculaas spices
pinch of salt
150 grams dark brown sugar (refined sugar with molasses, specifically)
150 grams butter or margarine, room temp
3 tablespoons of lukewarm milk

Mix the flour and baking powder first. Then mix in all the other ingredients using a wooden spoon or your hands, until properly incorporated.

Tightly wrap the dough in plastic foil and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 175 Celsius or 345 Fahrenheit.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. You can also use a drinking glass for round cookies, or cut rectangles with a butter knife. Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with baking paper (NOT wax paper).

Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

If you have leftover dough and are waiting for a tray to finish baking, wrap the dough back in the plastic foil and store in the fridge until you can make the next batch. You want the dough relatively cold when working with it.

Those look yummy! :D
*yoinks one*

Been to hot here to do much baking, and my little oven only allows small batch baking. But I see cinnamon rolls mentioned, and I love making those! There is nothing like a fresh soft cinnamon roll with a cup of coffee on a cool autumn morning! I found a recipe online (Ambitious Kitchen)
Cinnamon Roll Recipe

Fresh Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients
For the dough:
¾ cup warm milk (whole milk or 2% preferred) (110 degrees F)
2 ¼ teaspoons quick rise or active yeast (1/4-ounce package yeast)
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
¼ cup butter, melted (I prefer salted, but unsalted works, too)
3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
3/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
2/3 cup dark brown sugar (light brown sugar also works)
1 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
¼ cup butter, softened
For the cream cheese frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions
Warm milk to around 110 degrees F. I like to do this by placing milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving it for 40-45 seconds. It should be like warm bath water. Transfer warm milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle yeast on top. Add in sugar, egg, egg yolk and melted butter. Mix until well combined. Next stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form.

Place dough hook on stand mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky. If it's TOO sticky (meaning it's sticking to the bottom of the mixer, add in 2 tablespoons more bread flour.) If you don’t want to use an electric mixer, you can use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a well-floured surface.

Transfer dough ball to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size. This may more or less time depending the humidity and temperature in your home.

After dough has doubled in size, transfer dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a ¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Use your hands to sprinkle mixture over the buttered dough, then rub the brown sugar mixture into the butter.

Tightly roll dough up, starting from the 9-inch side and place seam side down making sure to seal the edges of the dough as best you can. You will probably need to cut off about an inch off the ends of the dough as the ends won’t be as full of cinnamon sugar as we’d want it to be.

Cut into 1 inch sections with a serrated knife or floss. You should get 9 large pieces.
Place cinnamon rolls in a greased 9x9 inch baking pan or round 9 inch cake pan. (I also recommend lining the pan with parchment paper as well, in case any of the filling ends up leaking out.) Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel and let rise again for 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the edges. You want to underbake them a little so they stay soft in the middle, that’s why we want them just slightly golden brown. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting. Makes 9 cinnamon rolls.

To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread over cinnamon rolls and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Recipe Notes
To make overnight cinnamon rolls:
After placing rolls into the greased pan (after the first rise), simply cover, place overnight in the fridge and then bake them in the morning as directed. I like to bring my cinnamon rolls to room temperature first by leaving them on the counter for 30-45 minutes before baking (this is known as the second rise).

Specifications
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Servings: 9 large cinnamon rolls
Author: Monique Volz of AmbitiousKitchen

OOOOHHH thank you!! I'm putting this on my list of baked goodies to make this fall!!

1. I'm just bored and lurking around, but I had to stop in and say how fascinating it is to me that Sanne has never had a cinnamon roll before (!) or really that anyone anywhere has never had a cinnamon roll before. Cinnamon rolls are so universal here that, to my brain, it sounds like if somebody said they were going to try cookies for the first time or something. Go figure!

2. On pumpkin pie--I agree, they're usually bland, and that's kind of part of their vibe, but indeed, you're right to suspect that with enough spices they can be better. My significant other makes the only pumpkin pie I've ever really *liked.* I don't dislike pumpkin pie, just find it boring, but when makes it, it's good enough that I go back for more. She puts waaay more of the same spices that recipes call for into it (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, I forget what else). Another thing that makes it extra delicious to me is when it is made with a graham cracker crust. The recipe she had for it also was a little different--I don't know in what way but I remember being surprised that it called for Orange Juice.

And finally,

3. Pecan pie is often really good

And

4. I get nostalgic about popcorn balls. Melt some butter and marmellows in a pan and use the result as glue to hold the popcorn balls together and form it into balls. Can even run thread through them to make strings of popcorn balls that get hung on a tree.
The easiest, cheatiest pumpkin cake is delicious. Use boxed cake mix of any flavor (I prefer yellow or spiced), add one 15oz can of pumpkin puree, and that's it.

I add a bit of pumpkin pie spice to the top of the cake before baking it and it comes out super moist. I prefer it with cream cheese frosting, but it's great unfrosted as well.
It's super simple but baked apples are my absolute favorite thing. Low energy, easy clean-up, all the tastiness of an apple pie, it's perfect.

All I do is slice up apples, toss em with cinnamon and sugar, put em in a glass baking pan with tin foil down, lay pats of butter on top, then bake at whatever temperature my chosen recipe for the day says to until the apples are soft and the house smells like baked apples and butter.

I can finish a pan all by myself, they're so good for literally any time of day and they smell like fall to me.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What are you favorite autumn baked goods?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus