Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Paintober VR (Daily Paintings)

Sanne Moderator

Every day in October, I'm creating a painting in VR based on a list of random prompts I put together! I'm not super focused on creating fully detailed finished pieces, sometimes it'll be just a very simple (perhaps almost abstract) painting. Either way, I want to achieve daily paintings for an entire month, so here we go!

Day 1 of Paintober VR: Sunset at the mountains.

Painted from reference. I spent about an hour to an hour and a half on this. You can also view a 3D model of this painting here.

VR painting of a gorgeous mountainous sunset. Gradients of yellow, orange and deep reds paint a stark contrast to the pitch black mountain outlines. In front of the mountains is darkness, with only wisps of clouds catching some of the orange light that makes its way past the silhouette.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Day 2: Eating cake

Today proved difficult because I am sick like a dog, and I realized I have NO idea how to paint crumbs. It was a good lesson and I'm VERY glad I stuck with it and finished it! I took several breaks and spent maybe 2-2.5 hours on it total, going slow and steady. Here's the 3D model!

A delectable cake slice with dark inner layers coated in cream and red frosting. Whipped cream is dabbed on top and various berries are placed on the cream. The slice has been cut with a fork, the front piece toppled over, and a fork is laid down next to it slightly digging into the side of the cake. Crumbs decorate the fork prongs.
Mmm. I must say, Sanne, that is DELICIOUS! Kidding. Hehe. ^_^

These are awesome paintings, Sanne! Great use of colors on both, especially the first one. You really captured the feel of a sunset. :D

Ultra-Knight wrote:
Mmm. I must say, Sanne, that is DELICIOUS! Kidding. Hehe. ^_^

These are awesome paintings, Sanne! Great use of colors on both, especially the first one. You really captured the feel of a sunset. :D

DON'T LICK THE PAINT! You're going to get all the bits and bytes smeared around! XD

Thank you!! I'm super excited for tomorrow, the prompt is "Escaping the rain" and I've already got a reference lined up~

Paintober day 3: Escaping the rain. I'm a day late posting, almost done with day 4 😄

I need to stop trying to paint 'perfect' scenes. I feel so dissatisfied with the rain droplets, but since these are daily paintings, there's only so much time I have to complete them. I'm sure I could blend better and make nicer droplets, but you know what? I think it's really dang good.

An oil painting showing a window from the inside looking out into a dark area, lit by blurry dots of light in the distance, and raindrops dotting the window all over. It has an almost gloomy feel to it, with colors of teal, yellow, orange and red dominating the otherwise dark palette. The image invokes feelings of quiet and being alone, but not necessarily loneliness, as the outside world passes by.
I agree, Sanne, the rain droplets are really, really good. ^_^

Another great painting! :D

Thank you Knight!! :D

Here is Paintober day 4: Rebel. I really wanted to not get lost in the details in this one, and instead focused on how it made me feel. I think this captures defiance really well, and I love the glow!

Painting_2022-10-04_22-23-09_Gallery-4k.jpg
Anytime! And I love the glow too! But somehow, I pictured this guy banging it out on a guitar for some reason. Don't know why! *LOL*

I also get a sense of loneliness about the painting, perhaps that could be because the guy is alone in his defiance. Don't know if that's what you were going for, but good job anyway! :D

Ultra-Knight wrote:
Anytime! And I love the glow too! But somehow, I pictured this guy banging it out on a guitar for some reason. Don't know why! *LOL*

I also get a sense of loneliness about the painting, perhaps that could be because the guy is alone in his defiance. Don't know if that's what you were going for, but good job anyway! :D

Well a guitar can be quite rebellious ;)

Thank you for the feedback! I used a reference stock photo, but I left out a bunch of details because I didn't have more time today, which is probably why it feels a bit empty/alone. :D

Day 5's prompt was 'An apology', which I think is a difficult concept to put into art. I was overjoyed to find the reference photo that inspired this painting and I'm happy with how it turned out!

My important lesson from this painting is that I need to dedicate time to studying wood textures and how to paint them.

Painting of a wooden table with light coming from the top. On the table is a yellow post-it note with the word
Sanne, this is absolutely, mind blowingly, realistic. I was like, "This is a painting?" Great job! ^_^

Ope been lagging behind a little here.

Day 6: Pet store

I've had super low energy for days and I've picked some ambitious references for myself lol. The coming paintings aren't as polished as I'd like for them to be, but they're DONE.

Painting_2022-10-10_18-52-02_Gallery-4k.jpg

Day 7: Silliness

Nothing original, just silly and cute lol

Painting_2022-10-08_00-23-26_Gallery-4k.jpg

Day 8: Tree

Painting_2022-10-09_19-39-36_Gallery-4k.jpg
very lovely and it is fun to challenge your self!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Paintober VR (Daily Paintings)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus