Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Has anyone heard of the bicameral mind theory?

-Danny- wrote:
And this is why I do not participate in public gatherings. The spelling of words when I have not been able to sleep in 60 hours is more important than what I said. I apologize for my misspelling of a word, and enjoy the topic at hand!

Come on. Your earlier contribution was literally just correcting someone else's word usage. You shouldn't be so eager to point out other people's mistakes if you cannot accept others light-heartedly mentioning your own mistakes
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

intrusive_plots wrote:
OH absolutely it was befabled as badly as any science is in showbiz, a cryptic-enough sounding group of words to bring mystery and depth to a topic on which the writers had run dry. Reminded me of Cartesian Theater, actually, like it's something that can sound plausible if you don't know any better.

The good news is I get to feel like an absolute grownup whenever a script yanks the green curtain clear off the rod. "Robots suddenly develop 'souls' " isn't a tired trope yet, I'll be over here with the popcorn and the pointy sports banners.

Lol. That's true. Me too. I feel like the grown-up that I supposedly am when I can see through the logical flaws of a well-worn trope.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Lol. That's true. Me too. I feel like the grown-up that I supposedly am when I can see through the logical flaws of a well-worn trope.

it's also fun to pinpoint where in the season the writers were on strike or got unionbusted lolololol

pay the laypeople better and the show won't have to suffer that kind of willy wonka meltdown!
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

intrusive_plots wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:

it's also fun to pinpoint where in the season the writers were on strike or got unionbusted lolololol

pay the laypeople better and the show won't have to suffer that kind of willy wonka meltdown!

Lol! That's awesome.

Also I came back to the thread to say that your previous comment made me want to look up Cartesian Theater (I had not heard that term before), which led me down a really fun research rabbit hole, so thank you. :) I really should have taken a philosophy class at some point, because I find that sort of stuff really interesting.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Also I came back to the thread to say that your previous comment made me want to look up Cartesian Theater (I had not heard that term before), which led me down a really fun research rabbit hole, so thank you. :) I really should have taken a philosophy class at some point, because I find that sort of stuff really interesting.

I've been spoiled by gaia, i'm used to a notification popping up to tell me if i've been quoted in a thread or not -- so no worries cos i am missing out on ALL the conversation lmao

and hell yeah! the difference between objective and subjective reality really has a lot of storytelling potential, ESPECIALLY when the subject matter is dealing with the blurry line between the two, the physics behind personhood et c. -- like i'm not mad at westworld, just kinda disappointed.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Has anyone heard of the bicameral mind theory?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus