Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Draft Characters Don't Count to Cap (WILL NOT ADD)

I think that Draft Mode characters shouldn't count towards your character slot.
That way you can have concepts, or retire characters (but keep their profiles because you worked hard on them. :))

If you want to use your Draft Mode character, but don't have a free slot, you can't without buying new character slots.
Luscinioide

draft mode characters take up slots because they still use storage space on the server. they also still keep their galleries and storing images gets very expensive very fast.
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Saturninum wrote:
draft mode characters take up slots because they still use storage space on the server. they also still keep their galleries and storing images gets very expensive very fast.

Ah, that makes sense.
Do you think it could cut back the cost if galleries were not allowed in draft mode? Or would it still take up a lot of space?

Or does it really depend on the amount of content you have on the pages?
Luscinioide

not sure what kind of image hosting rpr uses, but im guessing that would be even worse - you'd have people reuploading entire galleries every time they want to make their character public again, and uploaded images are still data used, regardless of how long they stay up.

for reference, each character on a basic account can have 10 images. i believe the size limit is 5-10mb. doesn't sound like much, but multiply that by 10 characters a user, and the number of users on rpr, and...yeah. even if you can get super cheap rates like $0.03 a gb, you're looking at possibly multiple tb of data.

the text on the profiles is the cheapest part so i doubt that's an important factor; iirc image hosting WAS the main issue when kim has been asked in the past to add more free character slots.
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Saturninum wrote:
not sure what kind of image hosting rpr uses, but im guessing that would be even worse - you'd have people reuploading entire galleries every time they want to make their character public again, and uploaded images are still data used, regardless of how long they stay up.

for reference, each character on a basic account can have 10 images. i believe the size limit is 5-10mb. doesn't sound like much, but multiply that by 10 characters a user, and the number of users on rpr, and...yeah. even if you can get super cheap rates like $0.03 a gb, you're looking at possibly multiple tb of data.

the text on the profiles is the cheapest part so i doubt that's an important factor; iirc image hosting WAS the main issue when kim has been asked in the past to add more free character slots.

Hm, that makes a lot of sense.
Thank you for explaining that to me. :)
Sanne Moderator

I can confirm that image hosting is one of the primary reasons we limit character slots and have a max # of images for upload on characters. Kim is the sole developer working on the RPR and the site only makes enough money to sustain itself and at this point there's a little bit extra for her as well. It's nowhere near enough to properly compensate her for the time spent working on and maintaining the site though, and we're still growing and seeing more activity with each passing year. Making drafted characters 'not count' is indeed not sustainable and provides a huge loophole around the incentive to help provide keep the site up.

What you can do is backup your character profiles in PDF format and save your character images separately before deleting them. When you go to Your Stuff > Characters > Edit <name>, you can click on "Print <name>". It'll take you to a printing screen and when you confirm the print, the top right you can choose "Print destination" and select "Save as PDF".

That's what I do with retired or inactive characters I won't be playing anymore! :)
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
I can confirm that image hosting is one of the primary reasons we limit character slots and have a max # of images for upload on characters. Kim is the sole developer working on the RPR and the site only makes enough money to sustain itself and at this point there's a little bit extra for her as well. It's nowhere near enough to properly compensate her for the time spent working on and maintaining the site though, and we're still growing and seeing more activity with each passing year. Making drafted characters 'not count' is indeed not sustainable and provides a huge loophole around the incentive to help provide keep the site up.

What you can do is backup your character profiles in PDF format and save your character images separately before deleting them. When you go to Your Stuff > Characters > Edit <name>, you can click on "Print <name>". It'll take you to a printing screen and when you confirm the print, the top right you can choose "Print destination" and select "Save as PDF".

That's what I do with retired or inactive characters I won't be playing anymore! :)

Oh my gosh, thank you for teaching me that! This is going to be really helpful! :0

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Draft Characters Don't Count to Cap (WILL NOT ADD)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus