Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Lag?

a)the other day I was uneable to upload pictures to my site [for Telelia] it didn't really alarm me since, well, I was simply tired and went to bed, not thinking much of it. I'll try again and report if I get the same issue [the pop up said I might need to report it as a bug]

b)the site lags. Not sure whats up- but used to be before the update with the messaging it loaded up really fast for my internet connection [ I am Southern US, Louisiana. If I do a speed test the closest server area thing is Houston, next to it is New Orleans. I say this cuz I'm not gunna tell a bunch of peeps where I live exactly XD]
I mean... it takes a good ten seconds at least if not more. [Yes I just sat here and loaded a new tab and counted- granted this means I'm tabbing and that may be an issue...]

So... this may be more of a complaint- but... not sure? XD It's not stopping me from visiting RPR, its just simply a hinderance when I'm used to it being fast XD [First World Problems much?] [and yes, I'm in a good mood, hence why I'm not angry or anything and have a lot of smileys]
Sanne Moderator

Argh, internet laggy problems! I know how horrible they are. :( I'm sorry it's been pretty annoying for you!

If you tried to upload the image around 1am PST, the inability to upload an image is due to the fact the site automatically backs up around this time, causing the site to be very slow or unusable for about 10 minutes. This is normal and you can always try to upload at another time.

The site hasn't changed its loading speed for me at all, and I'm in the Netherlands (a pretty big distance away from the servers!). It takes only 1-3 seconds for a page to load fully for me. Does this only happen persistently on RPR or do other services and sites get affected as well?

Lag you're experiencing can be due to any of the following reasons:

1. There's a bad connection spot somewhere between the RPR servers and where you live. This has nothing to do with RPR and isn't anything you can fix (directly). I run into these bumps every now and then and they're super annoying! All you can do is wait until it fixes itself, I'm afraid.

2. Your computer is infected with malware or a virus, or just needs to be cleaned up a little to improve performance. I suggest running a full virus scan like Avast! (don't install two different anti-viruses at the same time, they get into fights and it gets ugly fast :P), and run Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy. These are all free tools that can be run safely (I use them all the time :)). They remove infections and other suspicious files that you may have picked without knowing on websites.

3. You're running a firewall that somehow is interfering with the connection to RPR. If you have a firewall installed, try disabling it and see if the site runs faster without it. If you don't have any specific firewall installed, go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall and check if Windows' native firewall is running. Try disabling it and check RPR again. If there's no difference please enable your firewall again so you're protected. :)

4. You may need to reset your modem. The best way to do this is to make sure everyone in the household can afford about 5-10 minutes of no internet, then unplugging the modem from the power socket. Wait 1 minute, then plug it back in. The modem needs a couple of minutes to reboot fully. This is a perfectly safe procedure, but if you feel nervous about it, call your internet provider and ask if they can reset the modem remotely for you or ask if they have special instructions for your modem that you can follow.

5. If none of the above helps, try to confirm if it's really your internet or if it's your computer by connecting to your network with a different device and see if the problem exists there as well. Preferably try to use another computer or laptop that is similar to your current computer. Older computers or mobile devices can be slower than newer computers just because they can't calculate everything as fast.

6. If you can't check other devices and you're still having problems, the only thing left to do is contact your provider and ask if they've been having problems with the connection or if they can do anything for you.

I can't tell you for 100% sure if RPR is the problem or not. It's unlikely because the site runs smoothly for multiple people, which often means that the problem is with your provider, one of the connection points between the RPR server and you, or your computer. All the steps above are pretty common troubleshooting steps to follow, so I hope they're helpful to you!
Kim Site Admin

The server has been reporting less stress and better response times with each of our recent updates, so I'm a little puzzled that it seems to be getting worse for you. It really sounds like something has gone wonky with a connection point between us and you. =/
Kaddiss Topic Starter

Could have been that time- and it may be just the times I try to get on

however I am currently in the midst of finding a new anti-virus due to not being happy with what I have- I'll see if my problem doesn't improve after that ^^
Kim Site Admin

Keep us posted! :D
Kaddiss Topic Starter

Okay- so I updated my maleware stuff and got Avast
The site still loads slow but not like it was. I'm wondering if I'm just logging in at times that everybody else does too XD

I will see about cleaning up my PC a bit more since Avast claims I have a punch of junk going on in the background and stuff

You are on: Forums » Help » Lag?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus