Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Ask Me Anything (I am bored)

Hi,

I am on lunch break at work and I am bored, so...

Ask me anything. I'll check back after work and answer all questions. 👂👂👂
YOOOOO been a minute since I’ve seen you around, my bad for not getting around to our lil’ letters over PM, hehe. How’s stuff?
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

GarnaalProductions wrote:
YOOOOO been a minute since I’ve seen you around, my bad for not getting around to our lil’ letters over PM, hehe. How’s stuff?

Heyyy you! Was thinking about ya when I randomly perused around here out of boredom or loneliness or something. Things are fine, the school year just started again so I won't have time to be bored for long! Probably. And you are or were in Japan?? Woah, how fascinating. Must have been an experience. Nice to hear you're having exciting things happen.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Hi,

Been a while! How's school going?
Abigail_Austin wrote:

Heyyy you! Was thinking about ya when I randomly perused around here out of boredom or loneliness or something. Things are fine, the school year just started again so I won't have time to be bored for long! Probably. And you are or were in Japan?? Woah, how fascinating. Must have been an experience. Nice to hear you're having exciting things happen.

Yooooo school’s back in with y’all already? Good luck out there! Ngl, even tho I appreciate my vacation, I always feel a lil' bit hyped for those "golden weeks" when uni/school/etc. is just starting and everyone is overcome by that New Year's resolution-like feeling.

And aye, am there still! The heat is no joke, especially to a Dutch sucko, but it's so damn beautiful here that the burning sun and humidity doesn't matter anymore.

You done anything cool over summer break?
Hey Abigail! Since I can ask about anything, I want to ask about something on your profile. You are both gay and Christian, right? It's a rare thing for me to see. Do you want to talk a bit about you being both LGBT+ and religious? I mostly know cishet Christians, and I am very curious.
I am just super curious since in my (highly Christian) country, this religion is often used as an excuse to be hateful towards gay people, so I am very excited to meet a person who is both gay and believing! <3
And I hope it's not too personal, if it is just tell me! ^^;

JoJoApples wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Hi,

Been a while! How's school going?

Indeed! How're you?

School is going well so far. This school is really like nowhere I've worked before. Many of the high school kids have known each other since elementary school, often since kindergarten. Some of them find that to be an annoying fact, but, for better or worse, it creates a certain sense of community and comfort-level that you just dont see at public schools. There are challenges this year but, for the most part, it's all going alright. It's meant to be, I think.

And I hope things are going well for you, girl!

Thanks for the question. :)

Abigail_Austin wrote:

Yooooo school’s back in with y’all already? Good luck out there! Ngl, even tho I appreciate my vacation, I always feel a lil' bit hyped for those "golden weeks" when uni/school/etc. is just starting and everyone is overcome by that New Year's resolution-like feeling.

And aye, am there still! The heat is no joke, especially to a Dutch sucko, but it's so damn beautiful here that the burning sun and humidity doesn't matter anymore.

I did. I went and saw my best friend over summer break. Mostly we were busy moving though. You? Oh, by the way---guess how hot the high temperature is in Texas right now.

No, really, guess...I'll wait ..

Ok, whatever you guessed is too low because the high every day lately has been like...109 degrees Fahrenheit! Sometimes 107, for a while it was actually just 100...but. Lol. It seems a bit apocalyptic out there this summer.

Hope you enjoyed that little dramatic moment there.

One nice thing though is we don't have the humidity as much.

Don't forget to do whatever things are the most unusual that you can't do back home. Let's see...what do they do in Japan that you just can't do in the Netherlands? 🤔 I heard about some fad where people go to movies that make them cry? I also heard about some salon treatment in Japan where people clean your ears? For some reason I find the oddest things to be the most interesting. Then again arboretums are also nice LOL.

DumboOctopus wrote:
Hey Abigail! Since I can ask about anything, I want to ask about something on your profile. You are both gay and Christian, right? It's a rare thing for me to see. Do you want to talk a bit about you being both LGBT+ and religious? I mostly know cishet Christians, and I am very curious.
I am just super curious since in my (highly Christian) country, this religion is often used as an excuse to be hateful towards gay people, so I am very excited to meet a person who is both gay and believing! <3
And I hope it's not too personal, if it is just tell me! ^^;
~~~~~

Ah, you ask an intriguing question there, DumboOctopus. You provide me with an intriguing challenge!

(What a delightfully fun username, by the way!).

So... answering this question will be tricky because I want to steer really far clear of breaking the forum rules, which suggest/imply to avoid "in depth discussions about politics or religion" but also say that "You are welcome to identify yourself as part of a religion, holding certain religious beliefs. . .when getting to know other members."

So... it's a challenge, BUT... do not fret, because I LOVE the occasional intellectually stimulating challenge. Whew!

Nice question.

Well first I will say that, as unlikely as it may seem--many people in the same situation exist. In fact, the church I am a member of is part of a whole international denomination of churches that specifically cater to believing, practicing Christians who also happen to be part of the LGBTQIA+ community. (The denomination is called Metropolitan Community Church -- "MCC").

But yes, an open and accepting and even an affirming stance is rare in traditional denominations. For me, church and religion have always been two different concepts and one doesn't necessarily depend on the other (in other words, in my view, I could be religious without necessarily going to church, and vice versa.)

Long story short, some of my beliefs don't match some of the beliefs of most traditional churches, but the core beliefs are there.

I have big, fancy, complicated explanations for why I believe what I believe, but I won't go into those here. It's mostly that when you experience something yourself, you have to find a way to reconcile it with everything that matters deeply to you.

If you don't mind my asking, what country are you from (or, what part of the world?). Totally optional to answer but I was just wondering.

Thanks for the question!
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:

I did. I went and saw my best friend over summer break. Mostly we were busy moving though. You? Oh, by the way---guess how hot the high temperature is in Texas right now.

Ok, whatever you guessed is too low because the high every day lately has been like...109 degrees Fahrenheit! Sometimes 107, for a while it was actually just 100...but. Lol. It seems a bit apocalyptic out there this summer.

Don't forget to do whatever things are the most unusual that you can't do back home. Let's see...what do they do in Japan that you just can't do in the Netherlands? 🤔 I heard about some fad where people go to movies that make them cry? I also heard about some salon treatment in Japan where people clean your ears? For some reason I find the oddest things to be the most interesting. Then again arboretums are also nice LOL.

Eyyy sounds fun! And movin’ yo? Good luck with that! Currently hanging at my gf’s place and just doing all-around young’un summer activities, might renovate my room when I get back to my other home. Mostly looking to get some good art and writing stuff going.

Had to Google that but SHIIIII THAT 40 DEGREES CELSIUS AIN’T A JOKE. Hope it was dry heat, at least? Found in experience that air humidity bumps up the objective temp to like 5 degrees in ‘subjective’ temp.

Am back now but YOOO maybe next time I’ll head there! There’s plenty of weird stuff, yeah, but I haven’t found a lot. I was mostly houndign after the cultural, natural and culinary delights of Japan- the weirdest I saw was the weeaboo-riddled tech neighborhood in Tokyo, and plenty of questionable animal cafe’s with otters and shit like that. TV there is a whole new layer of enjoyable too, it’s all sparkles and screaming and slapstick.

Any place on the ol’ globe that’s on your bucket list?

Thread

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:

Eyyy sounds fun! And movin’ yo? Good luck with that! Currently hanging at my gf’s place and just doing all-around young’un summer activities, might renovate my room when I get back to my other home. Mostly looking to get some good art and writing stuff going.

Had to Google that but SHIIIII THAT 40 DEGREES CELSIUS AIN’T A JOKE. Hope it was dry heat, at least? Found in experience that air humidity bumps up the objective temp to like 5 degrees in ‘subjective’ temp.

Am back now but YOOO maybe next time I’ll head there! There’s plenty of weird stuff, yeah, but I haven’t found a lot. I was mostly houndign after the cultural, natural and culinary delights of Japan- the weirdest I saw was the weeaboo-riddled tech neighborhood in Tokyo, and plenty of questionable animal cafe’s with otters and shit like that. TV there is a whole new layer of enjoyable too, it’s all sparkles and screaming and slapstick.

Any place on the ol’ globe that’s on your bucket list?

Otters....huh. Questionable indeed... Well it sounds like you had fun and that's what matters...and that you can now either regale your gf with interesting tales or maybe she already went with you. Me...I just want to go whale watching someday, and if I won the lottery, maybe Ireland.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Ask Me Anything (I am bored)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus