Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: Yellow-liking traveller on trial

I would like to create a character that:

- Has yellow as their favourite colour
- Has seen the world (or at least a big part of it)
- Has been wrongfully accused of something

That's it! I'm looking forward to seeing people's ideas for this baby :D
I tried to go with "random", open-for-interpretation facts that rang true for none or almost none of my other oc's!

Thank you in advance! <3

Syl
Ilmarinen Moderator

Oh, very cool! My first thought is that a lot of their travel has come around because of this wrongful accusation--they move from place to place to avoid detection.

I also am, for some reason, getting sci-fi vibes, and I can picture them with a small personal spacecraft that is painted yellow. :D
I'm getting sci fi vibes too! Wearing cool tinted yellow glasses that project the ui of their ship holographically.

As far as wrongfully accused, maybe former law enforcement of some kind that got accused of corruption when they got too close to busting something big. Now they are on the run themselves, traveling the world/galaxy/etc while trying to clear their name and still catch the real 'perp'.
SylOfficial Topic Starter

Ilmarinen wrote:
Oh, very cool! My first thought is that a lot of their travel has come around because of this wrongful accusation--they move from place to place to avoid detection.

I also am, for some reason, getting sci-fi vibes, and I can picture them with a small personal spacecraft that is painted yellow. :D

Oh I already love that a lot! I can definitely see that as reasoning why they'd keep travelling around. It's most certainly an option!

Sci-fi would be really cool! I do not have any specifically sci-fi characters yet so I'd definitely embrace that challenge :D

The yellow spacecraft... hehe. This makes me think of a certain Beatles song. Maybe they ran into Earth on one of their travels and adopted the love for the song and thus painted it yellow? Or it could just be because it's their happy color of course :D

Thank you for the fun suggestions!

Dndmama wrote:
I'm getting sci fi vibes too! Wearing cool tinted yellow glasses that project the ui of their ship holographically.

As far as wrongfully accused, maybe former law enforcement of some kind that got accused of corruption when they got too close to busting something big. Now they are on the run themselves, traveling the world/galaxy/etc while trying to clear their name and still catch the real 'perp'.

Ooooh the glasses is definitely something I'd like to do! That would give off such cool vibes!

I am not sure about former law enforcement but I could see it working! Maybe similarly a private detective? The idea of a case they got close to solving or getting close to busting something big is incredibly intriguing! I must keep that in mind.

Life lessons could definitely be learned on such a journey too! Or maybe they will befriend the actual culprit by accident!
Kim Site Admin

I'd like to pitch that the reason that their favorite color is yellow is that the sky on their home planet often looked yellow.

On earth, a yellow sky most often means a coming or departing storm.

This home world has extremely turbulent weather, so the norm is stormy. All that blustering picks up sand and dirt and whips it into the sky. That means that where there are breaks in the storm and the sun is visible, the sky was most often yellow instead of blue.

Because of this, yellow signifies a break in troubles, hope. The character liked it in the past, but now that they are on the run and falsely accused, the color yellow has taken on a special meaning for them that is both hopeful and full of homesickness.

The ship isn't painted yellow, it was manufactured that way on the characters home world. Maybe they do this because it helps a ship be more stealthy, or maybe it is just culturally a wider symbol of hope and good luck that is good for people going on voyages.

Kim wrote:
I'd like to pitch that the reason that their favorite color is yellow is that the sky on their home planet often looked yellow.

On earth, a yellow sky most often means a coming or departing storm.

This home world has extremely turbulent weather, so the norm is stormy. All that blustering picks up sand and dirt and whips it into the sky. That means that where there are breaks in the storm and the sun is visible, the sky was most often yellow instead of blue.

Because of this, yellow signifies a break in troubles, hope. The character liked it in the past, but now that they are on the run and falsely accused, the color yellow has taken on a special meaning for them that is both hopeful and full of homesickness.

The ship isn't painted yellow, it was manufactured that way on the characters home world. Maybe they do this because it helps a ship be more stealthy, or maybe it is just culturally a wider symbol of hope and good luck that is good for people going on voyages.

Oh my goodness I love that! That is such a wonderful idea. Okay I'm definitely incorporating this because the meaning is absolutely beautiful!

It does mean I may need a few more ideas for their home world though, haha!

Thank you so much for adding this, I'm so glad you did!
I think seeing the world because they're on the run from something they were accused of is a logical option, but perhaps they traveled the world because of their work, and when falsely accused of something they stopped and hid? I personally like the idea of yellow holographic glasses that help them access their ship, but I'd say if I were on the run from something then the last thing I'd do is paint my ship a bright and noticeable color like yellow.

Building inspector, travels much of the world because of the nature of the buildings they inspect, and the places they haven't been for work they've traveled to intentionally. Maybe they wanted to see these places, maybe they just wanted to say they've been there.

When something happens to a building they've inspected and multiple people die or are injured, it falls on them as the perhaps safety inspector who recently passed this building. Trials begin and everyone wants to throw the book at them, and many people need someone to blame in light of their own personal tragedies as a result of this event.

Edit: since I ninja posted on Kim, I'm editing to add how wonderful that idea is.

Alien_Princess wrote:
I think seeing the world because they're on the run from something they were accused of is a logical option, but perhaps they traveled the world because of their work, and when falsely accused of something they stopped and hid? I personally like the idea of yellow holographic glasses that help them access their ship, but I'd say if I were on the run from something then the last thing I'd do is paint my ship a bright and noticeable color like yellow.

Building inspector, travels much of the world because of the nature of the buildings they inspect, and the places they haven't been for work they've traveled to intentionally. Maybe they wanted to see these places, maybe they just wanted to say they've been there.

When something happens to a building they've inspected and multiple people die or are injured, it falls on them as the perhaps safety inspector who recently passed this building. Trials begin and everyone wants to throw the book at them, and many people need someone to blame in light of their own personal tragedies as a result of this event.

Edit: since I ninja posted on Kim, I'm editing to add how wonderful that idea is.

I really like your idea when it comes to what they're being wrongfully accused of! That sounds like something out of the box that you don't come across too often so it would add a sense of unexpectedness to it.

It is also interesting that this would make them stop and hide and in order to do so, they then might have to repaint their ship to camouflage it to the best of their ability?

I wonder what kind of world they would end up stuck in then...
SylOfficial wrote:
I really like your idea when it comes to what they're being wrongfully accused of! That sounds like something out of the box that you don't come across too often so it would add a sense of unexpectedness to it.

It's actually frighteningly more common than you'd think that this occurs. I watch a lot of mini disaster documentaries in my free time, and fires and building collapses are very often attributed to an inspector simply ignoring, overlooking, or otherwise passing a building or structure that has clear safety problems. The safety inspector is one of those almost always taken to trial over it.

As far as a planet, I suppose that depends on the universe they're in. I know you're familiar with mine and with such large nations enforcing laws, it could be they simply have to stay moving and never settle down in one place. I think most likely if they ever did, then it would be an out of the way place that no one would search for them, particularly if it was relatively inhospitable to their race.
Kim Site Admin

I'm so pleased people liked that idea! Since you asked for more details on the home planet, how about...

Racao Prime was intended to be a perfect agrarian world, with a climate tailor-made for cereal crops on large portions of the planet. It was meant to provide for all the other planets and moons slated to be colonized in the Racao system.

So, the terraforming ships were sent ahead, and then the colony ships, with its thousands of colonists in stasis pods, and cargo bays full of seeds, supplies and farming equipment, were sent to follow slower, so that they would arrive about 100 years later from the terraforming drones.

Unfortunately, when the first colonists awoke from stasis in orbit of Racao prime, they discovered that a severe meteor shower had damaged several of the terraforming drones and the process was incomplete. Although now technically able to support plant and animal life, Racao was not the picture-perfect agro world they'd been promised. During large portions of the year, it had the afore-mentioned intense weather, with near constant storms.

However, the early settlers persevered, and did what they could to settle the planet anyhow, finding ways to erect greenhouses and use hydroponics to produce enough food to support a sizeable population on Racao Prime itself -- it just doesn't have the export power the system's designers had hoped.

Racao Secundus did eventually become an agro world, of a smaller size than Prime could have been, but enough to let more colonists get a foothold in the system. The Racao system, about 500 years on, is a well-established and bustling place that hasn't really been "frontier" for at least 300 years.

The inhabitants of Racao Prime are proud, self-reliant people, who pride themselves on being tough and clever. After all, they are the descendents of the people who managed to thrive despite arriving on an incompletely terraformed world, and have decided to continue living there for many generations even when other, more calm worlds gradually became available to migrate to. They also boast some of the system's best mechanics, because they have to keep their equipment running and repaired under harsh conditions.

Luckily, faster than light travel is much more common now, so people don't have to rely so much on stasis ships and journeys that take longer than one natural human lifetime.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: Yellow-liking traveller on trial

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus