Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: Endlessly reincarnating fella

Hello! I have a character that gets s while new adult life every time the previous one ends and it feels like it's time for a new one. Usually I have an idea on mind or pick something random but this seems more fun. As for his traits:

1. Humanoid race, fantasy races that fit that descriptor are great! Non human preferred since he's rarely the same type twice.

2. Some sort of magic ability. Lots of possibilities here.

3. Neutral aligned in the D&D sense. Usually true neutral but I'm happy to entertain one step removed with a good reasoning!

Plenty of room to work I hope, I look forward to seeing some ideas! What sort of environment he turns up in, what form his magic has taken, his new body, general attributes in said body, all sorts of things can inform his personality in his new incarnation. Hope this qualifies even though he's not strictly a new character, but hey one of the examples was "fantasy genre/has lived a lot of past lives" and that was all but calling him out directly!
Ilmarinen Moderator

I love the idea of some details staying consistent across his various forms. Maybe he always has the same colored eyes (strikingly dark brown) and hair (true black) which in some incarnations wouldn't seem unusual, but in others might be very strange. Also perhaps a birthmark, or something like a Mallen streak?
AndoCommando Topic Starter

Ilmarinen wrote:
I love the idea of some details staying consistent across his various forms. Maybe he always has the same colored eyes (strikingly dark brown) and hair (true black) which in some incarnations wouldn't seem unusual, but in others might be very strange. Also perhaps a birthmark, or something like a Mallen streak?

This is rad, I could definitely rock with a Mallen streak carrying through, like his world's copy machine is busted and keeps putting a line through everything in the same spot. Could even make it a new and then ongoing detail that's linked to his most recent death! They're never pleasant, after all, could be a lingering effect. 🤔 I dig it!
I'm not sure if this suggestion works with the lore you've already established, but is it possible for him to be reincarnated as someone who already exists? I don't mean an IRL real person, but someone well-known in the story's world, something like... an alien CEO or a demon king or a notorious elf criminal. Like he's reincarnated into the body of that being, and no-one realizes he's not the same person who inhabited the body previously (or rather, they might not know until he starts acting out of character, since he might not even realize he's meant to be someone else at first so he wouldn't be prepared to act. And maybe the person whose body he ended up in is someone significantly more good/evil/lawful/chaotic than him. Like a politician who uses mind control/reading to manipulate the people, or someone who can control nature and uses it to feed/heal people in need, or an illusionist criminal.) Hope that makes sense; I wasn't sure how to phrase it.
If that idea doesn't work with your lore, my actual first thought was having him become a Tiefling, with all the magic that comes with that. Not incredibly groundbreaking but it's what popped into my head. :D Plus any of the races/powers mentioned in the first paragraph, in any combo you want, could work.

MothGremlin wrote:
I'm not sure if this suggestion works with the lore you've already established, but is it possible for him to be reincarnated as someone who already exists? I don't mean an IRL real person, but someone well-known in the story's world, something like... an alien CEO or a demon king or a notorious elf criminal. Like he's reincarnated into the body of that being, and no-one realizes he's not the same person who inhabited the body previously (or rather, they might not know until he starts acting out of character, since he might not even realize he's meant to be someone else at first so he wouldn't be prepared to act. And maybe the person whose body he ended up in is someone significantly more good/evil/lawful/chaotic than him. Like a politician who uses mind control/reading to manipulate the people, or someone who can control nature and uses it to feed/heal people in need, or an illusionist criminal.) Hope that makes sense; I wasn't sure how to phrase it.
If that idea doesn't work with your lore, my actual first thought was having him become a Tiefling, with all the magic that comes with that. Not incredibly groundbreaking but it's what popped into my head. :D Plus any of the races/powers mentioned in the first paragraph, in any combo you want, could work.

I love this idea even though it doesn't work here, it definitely sounds awesome to use for a different character! Someone just kind of quantum leaping into new lives without the time travel necessarily. Super cool.

As for this fella a tiefling could definitely work, I haven't made one of them before. And I can definitely work with some of the magic ideas! Thank you!
Kim Site Admin

Can I perhaps suggest, in addition to being a tiefling, having a prismatic soul?

Kim wrote:
Can I perhaps suggest, in addition to being a tiefling, having a prismatic soul?

This is super cool, I love it! Definitely gonna work that in.
Maldorek Salus (played by AndoCommando) Topic Starter

Well, he's lacking any sort of artwork (and I closed my hero forge tab on accident while tinkering with a mini for him) and this is a rough first draft of a profile (yes, I'll kid myself into believing that I perfect them over time, why shouldn't I??) but here's my new sweet (ehh...) boy! Thanks again everyone, loved the ideas and I'm looking forward to playing him sometime.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: Endlessly reincarnating fella

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus