Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Prevent Art Theft & Save Bandwidth

Minerva Topic Starter

I guess I'm odd. I've rarely found nuisance in right click blockage. Only on sites where I want to right click and pop open multiple windows, which is usually when I'm trying to do heavy-duty research, or pages where people made really annoying resize effects on otherwise larger pictures that made a graph or something unreadable. I just figured if it was toggleable, people could decide whether or not to enact it themselves. There will always be people who try harder to break rules and be a nuisance, but they aren't always it. Guess it's just not a well received idea, but honestly I don't see where the problem would be if people could choose whether to use it or not. Ahwell.

The whole debate over "if it's on the internet then--" I'll mostly step back from. People do a lot of things on the internet that they shouldn't. They troll, they send spam bots, whatever. If you don't want to get trolled, don't go in a chat, in that theory--or mods could take care of the situation. If you don't want to be hit by spam bots, don't make a site with a registration process--or put up a cap'tcha. Not really a fan of "well people are gonna do it and you should accept it." Not a philosophy I enjoy.
darth_angelus wrote:
ToBeContinued wrote:
Fine example, I was looking for an avatar for me and had just watched back to the future, the end titling was pretty neat and said "To Be Continued" so I was all "To google!" moments later I found myself a neat picture, right clicked save as and it is where it is now. Sue'ing me over using it would be silly because it's all over the internet, everyone has it, it's spread, gone, can't stop it. It's on the internet it belongs to everyone.

That's called copyright infringement. Just because a lot of people do something, doesn't mean it's right. Lots of people illegally download music, movies, games and all sorts. Just because it's on the internet, it's not theirs to own.

I post my work online knowing full well that someone could easiyl steal and post it on other sites. That doesn't make it theirs. It's still my work and if I were to discover that happening, you can bet I would be going after them.

I never said it was right. But it just is that way. Many things in the world are not right, but they just are the way they are.
I am glad Dylan understood what I'm trying to say at least.

Also am I seen as a horrible art thief now amongst the RPR community for using an image from someone else as my avatar?
Kim Site Admin

Alrighty, I think we've had enough of this. Image use on the net can cause emotions to run very high.

If an artist makes a complaint about something being used here, I always take it down. It happens now and again. Some artists don't care, and for some things, there's a very blurry line about what constitutes fair use and what's a fan tribute and what's just plain theft. But when someone feels their rights were infringed on, we help.

But this topic was about a feature suggestion that has been debated and is not currently going to be incorporated. I'm closing the topic to prevent us going round in another circle.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Prevent Art Theft & Save Bandwidth

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus